Time to look at Tenancy law

Almost 1,000 tenants illegally evicted - RT News

Their 1000 illegal eviction figures are likely to be on the low side as many people will just move elsewhere but time for a root and branch change that provides security of tenure during term of tenancy agreement, deposits paid into a protection scheme where Landlord has no access to and changes to the court system where people who withhold rent or break reasonable terms of the tenancy agreement can be evicted quickly.

I am a LL primarily invested in UK where
1.) tenant has Assured Tenancy Agreement for a minimum term and then it goes to a statutory defined term if no agreement has been signed with legally applicable notice periods
2.) deposits are protected where I can not access until end of agreement and even then if a dispute it goes to arbitration, not registering a deposit gets a LL a 3 x monthly rent fine
3.) I cannot access property save on safety grounds for Gas check / to secure the property but even then its limited and you need to provide proof. The tenant has a right to reasonable enjoyment of property which means a no notice turn up and gain access is not allowed.

Course I would prefer to have easier eviction procedure where tenant in arrears or breaking agreement but all done via court and also be able to provide longer Tenancy agreements but Lenders requirements are tenancy agreements should be for maximum of 6 months.

It doesn't mean to say that Illegal evictions don't occur in UK because they do, deposits are withheld but in general there is more protection as a tenant and more legal redress for LL's.

It can take 6 months from gaining reposession to kicking someone out who fights the eviction and forces the use of bailiffs.

Time maybe to have a look at the UK system and improve it for Ireland to protect both Landlord and Tenant.

Of course getting Tenants who pay rent on time and don't thrash the place is another story but funnily enough having a Rent guarantor does work very effectively as they are legally responsible if rent unpaid or damage done.

Cael

Landlord Scum Illegally Evicting Tenants

There were almost 1,000 cases of tenants being illegally evicted by landlords last year and a significant increase in deposits being held on to by landlords.

Threshold Chairperson Aideen Hayden said the rental sector has increasingly replaced social housing in providing for people in need.

She said last year the State spent €500m on rent supplement, yet tenants experienced increased problems with their accommodation.

Almost 1,000 tenants illegally evicted - RT News

F.U.B.A.R

I do have to laugh at muppets like you. On other threads you go on abt racism and talk shi.te. "Landlord scum", this is the equivalent of racism!!(branding them all the same). Im sure you will acknowledge their are many good landlords out there....? tut tut

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Save your breath. Cael set sail from shores of reality for the sea of madness many moons ago and has not once looked back. His marxist vessel is heroically impervious to the vulgar impositions of reality and no mere fact or commercial imperative can perturb his voyage.

Last edited:

F.U.B.A.R

save your breath. Cael set sail from shores of reality for the sea of madness many moons ago and has not once looked back. His marxist vessel is heroically impervious to the vulgar impositions of reality and no mere fact or commercial imperative can preturb his voyage.
"iceberg aheaddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d

Cael

I do have to laugh at muppets like you. On other threads you go on abt racism and talk shi.te. "Landlord scum", this is the equivalent of racism!!(branding them all the same). Im sure you will acknowledge their are many good landlords out there....? tut tut
All landlords, by definition, are criminal vermin. Worse than drug dealers - they are certainly more anti-social and do more social damage.

F.U.B.A.R

All landlords, by definition, are criminal vermin. Worse than drug dealers - they are certainly more anti-social and do more social damage.
Dont ever use the word racist again. As the good lord said, dont complain about the splinter in someone elses eye, when theres a log sticking from your own. ;)

Cael

The state certainly needs to stop paying out half a billion euro a year to privateer landlords, and use that money to build state housing schemes. Nama has plenty of development land for the purpose and the state already owns it.

Cael

Dont ever use the word racist again. As the good lord said, dont complain about the splinter in someone elses eye, when theres a log sticking from your own. ;)
I said all landlords are vermin, regardless of race. So, I am not being racist, Im simply being realistic. As for splinters, these landlord filth are much more than a splinter in the side of society, they are a plague. It was the speculations of this criminal element that did most to bankrupt the country. Without them, the developers and banksters could not have run riot.

il toro

I look forward to you starting a thread " Renters are scum " for leaving without pay the rent , for wreaking the place , for stealing from the landlord. As a matter of interest where do you think the accomodiation came from - the house fairy?

Cael

I look forward to you starting a thread " Renters are scum " for leaving without pay the rent , for wreaking the place , for stealing from the landlord. As a matter of interest where do you think the accomodiation came from - the house fairy?

Landlordism is sin. Its exploitation of others and perversion of society. Basically, its a way to get money without working for it. It is parasitism.

Aindriu

What the hell is 'wreaking'? Do you mean wrecking?

As for the rest, what part of the term ILLEGAL EVICTION do you not quite understand???

MuchToDo

Landlordism is sin. Its exploitation of others and perversion of society. Basically, its a way to get money without working for it. It is parasitism.
There is nothing inherently wrong with being a landlord, if one is responsible. If there are landlords out there who don't do any work or invest money in their properties, then it is only due to a failure of regulation and enforcement.

Those are the two paramount things we need to make rental in Ireland an option of last resort. And mostly it is enforcement that is now needed, our rules are not now so very poor.

The next thing we need is to avoid any kind of property pyramid scheme again that drives up property prices, as this affects rental too (in many ways, whether through increased rents/desperate landlords, or "amateur" speculator landlords). While we can't really cope with letting prices go into their natural death spiral, certainly there should not be too much effort to avoid gradual continued falling prices or them staying at present levels rather than growing again.

Cute Coors

In regards French tenancy laws, it has long been in place that if a tenant cannot afford to pay basic amenities , heat, water, electricity through the months october to march, then they can forgo their rent only if the have signed the lease in the previous september.
It was brought in to stop evictions and subsequent hardship during the colder months.

It is an extremely abused law, especially with the likes of foreign nationals who have a second home in France, the prospect of getting a winter tenant to pay the rent is an appealing one as the property is usually vacant , however the percentage of tenants that quickly fall into rent arrears is very high and they are protected by law for the first six months, whilst the owner who paid for the property and furnished the property and in who's name the bills are in is forced to wait for the tenant to vacate the property.

Action to remove the tenant can be initiated straight away but vacation can only occur when the weather gets warmer .

Sync

orbit

Nearly 20 years ago when I lived in Germany, the situation was that a renter's deposit was placed in an escrow account that needed both parties' signatures to take out. Even something as ludicrously simple as this, appears to be beyond the capability of our elephantine political system.

On illegal evictions, I wonder about the legality of tenants breaking back into their legal abode, and if necessary physically ejecting the landlord from it. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this, without knowing it is legal though.

I realise of course that often enough it's tenants who are in the wrong, such as automatically withholding the last month's rent, as a way of getting the deposit back. This is what happens when genuine and fair procedures don't exist and are replaced by the law of the jungle.

seabhcan

I've been a renter all my life, both in Ireland and abroad, both residential and commercial space. I haven't had any serious trouble because I know my rights and stand firm. I've had friends who cave in to ridiculous demands of landlords and worse, rent from people they thought were lunatics to begin with.

Stronger tenant rights are needed here, but better education of tenants about their current rights would be a major boost. I'd be afraid that simply giving people more rights without teaching them how to use them would have no effect.

I've had landlords try to withhold deposits, try to evict me for silly reasons, try to overcharge, etc, etc. Stand your ground and let them know you know your rights and they always back down. Renting is no different from any other business transaction. One trick I had when I was a student was to print out the law on tenancy and stick it up on the wall of the kitchen, and draw the landlords attention to it. 99% of them had never read it and had no clue, but after seeing that, they believed anything I claimed about the law.

And as a renter, I have to say I love the current market - its a renter's paradise. If you know what your doing you can get exceptionally good terms. I recently negotiated office space for 30% of the asking price.

Sync

Nearly 20 years ago when I lived in Germany, the situation was that a renter's deposit was placed in an escrow account that needed both parties' signatures to take out. Even something as ludicrously simple as this, appears to be beyond the capability of our elephantine political system.
Yup. It works with a simple appeals board having the final say in the case of disputes. Also helps ensure the landlord pays the correct tax.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies