Time to nationalise the schools?

Dunlin3

Pat McQuaile who from a quick Google search seems to be a teacher in Drogheda had the following letter published in the Irish Times today. He also seems to be involved with the Teaching Council.

Sir, – Surely the Catholic Church’s retaliation against the Irish people would be most effective if they denied the future use of the schools they own for the holding of elections. – Yours, etc,
PAT McQUAILE,
Drogheda,
Co Louth.

With thinking like this in our education system is it now time that the state nationalised the ownership of our schools?

Nudavongs

Way past the time.

Should have been done decades ago.

Mitsui2

Pat McQuaile who from a quick Google search seems to be a teacher in Drogheda had the following letter published in the Irish Times today. He also seems to be involved with the Teaching Council.

Sir, – Surely the Catholic Church’s retaliation against the Irish people would be most effective if they denied the future use of the schools they own for the holding of elections. – Yours, etc,
PAT McQUAILE,
Drogheda,
Co Louth.

With thinking like this in our education system is it now time that the state nationalised the ownership of our schools?
In a dark and dusty attic somewhere, Glenshane's antennae are twitching....

Nudavongs

Once upon a time, in my late 20s, I considered abandoning a stressful career in IT to go back to college to study to be a national school teacher. I volunteered with one organisation that got people from various backgrounds to go into primary schools and teach basic civics courses to the students.

What I saw going on was sufficient to show me that I couldn't do it. Way. Too. Much. Religion.

I couldn't stand in front of a bunch of impressionable children and present to them Bible stories and other such stuff as being of the same truth as 2+2=4 or the Earth being round. It's wrong.

And I'm not an atheist...

RobertW

Where's the money going to come from to pay for the land and buildings?

Very simple response to that IT letter.. Reduce funding by, say 5%, to those schools who don't allow their buildings to be used as polling stations

Dunlin3

Very simple response to that IT letter.. Reduce funding by, say 5%, to those schools who don't allow their buildings to be used as polling stations
I think they could put a a nominal value on them. It's not like most of them will be used for anything else.

RobertW

I think they could put a a nominal value on them. It's not like most of them will be used for anything else.
It would cost into the billions... A non starter

No politician is going to commit or suggest spending money on that to make a political point

Hunter-Gatherer

Once upon a time, in my late 20s, I considered abandoning a stressful career in IT to go back to college to study to be a national school teacher. I volunteered with one organisation that got people from various backgrounds to go into primary schools and teach basic civics courses to the students.

What I saw going on was sufficient to show me that I couldn't do it. Way. Too. Much. Religion.

I couldn't stand in front of a bunch of impressionable children and present to them Bible stories and other such stuff as being of the same truth as 2+2=4 or the Earth being round. It's wrong.

as an athiest i would present bible stories the same as greek myths or celtic fairytales. I especially like the old testament stuff about god being an utter vicious vindictive sadistic ****. And then let the kids make up their own mind. Archaeology and anthropology has much light to shed on bronze age stories and their context in making sense of the universe. The fact that so much christian stories and imagery is borrowed from older traditions is noteworthy. So long as you are getting paid, why not enjoy your job and not take it too seriously.

teaching kids lies ? try teaching them economics, history or gaeilge.....those curricula are also riddled with dodgy assertions.

regarding nationalising schools ? the church owes the country billions in reparation payments for all the abuse and scandals. We can that money to compensate the church for taking their schools, land, buildings. And if they do not like it, they can always excommunicate us.

Nudavongs

Mind you, it's really none of my business - Independent.ie

Now, religions have a right to proselytise. Religious freedom means they have an unhindered right to seek to attract new members. What's a bit creepy is when, for a dozen years, the bishops control the environment in which young people grow and learn - the schools.

And the bishops are frank that they're surprised and upset that, despite having this control for a dozen years of those kids' lives, they must be using the wrong language, resulting in the kids leaving the process still able to think for themselves.

And the bishops are openly working on a "new language" that will be more effective in achieving a different outcome.

This isn't religion, or education, it's politics.

jackryan

Is it not the local catholic community that owns the school as against the church?

RobertW

Schools were invented in order to teach children to read so that they could read the bible

Windowshopper

Mitsui2 said:
In a dark and dusty attic somewhere, Glenshane's antennae are twitching....
Quite Free Stater what business do you have in how the One True Church runs its schools at the Eirefolk expense? Such matters are only fit for discussion by those who have a legitimate stake in this situation: unionist Nordie Catholics who hate Prods.

Nudavongs

I would extend that further and come up with a code of practice for all state funded schools. Certain values would need to be adhered to -one of which would be no teaching of religion during the normal school hours. However, the buildings could be used for teaching of religion outside of school hours.

Any school not signing up and adhering to such principles would be expected to fund itself. It's not a massively onerous change. You'd find schools signing up pretty quickly.

Clanrickard

I would extend that further and come up with a code of practice for all state funded schools. Certain values would need to be adhered to -one of which would be no teaching of religion during the normal school hours. However, the buildings could be used for teaching of religion outside of school hours.

Any school not signing up and adhering to such principles would be expected to fund itself. It's not a massively onerous change. You'd find schools signing up pretty quickly.
If the entire 90% of the schools that are run by the Catholic Church said "right so find yeerselves other buildings" that idea would be dropped quickly. For what it's worth the idea is good.

statsman

If the entire 90% of the schools that are run by the Catholic Church said "right so find yeerselves other buildings" that idea would be dropped quickly. For what it's worth the idea is good.
Alternatively, that 90% of schools could be asked to find other ways of paying their teachers.

ne0ica

PAT McQUAILE,
Drogheda,
Co Louth.

Another teacher living in fear of being fired by the Catholic Church :rolleyes:

For what its worth I am coming to the view that it would probably be better for all parties involved if the schools were secularized as these schools are anything but Catholic.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom