• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Time to rethink Blood Transfusion eligibility rules?

When I was gracious enough to live among you spud-eating Murphys, I was banned from giving blood for the crime of having lived in Britain for more than a year in the 1980s and 1990s. Surely it is time for this, and the ban on gay men giving blood, to end? Particularly as the BSE CJD link has never been proved and that anyone can get HIV...

Given the amount of emigration to the UK in the 1980s and the close ties between the two islands, surely the proportion of the population deemed ineligible must be quite large?

Irish Blood Transfusion Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cato

Astral Peaks

When I was gracious enough to live among you spud-eating Murphys, I was banned from giving blood for the crime of having lived in Britain for more than a year in the 1980s and 1990s. Surely it is time for this, and the ban on gay men giving blood, to end? Particularly as the BSE CJD link has never been proved and that anyone can get HIV...

Given the amount of emigration to the UK in the 1980s and the close ties between the two islands, surely the proportion of the population deemed ineligible must be quite large?

I see on the 9pm News that we have a shortage of supply at the mo, only 3 days in stock.

www.giveblood.ie , for those who might like to donate.

Skypeme

So tox, what are the rules about the above among the 'rost-buif' Brits? I recall some flurry of activity among HM's 'gay' community recently on the matter.

So tox, what are the rules about the above among the 'rost-buif' Brits? I recall some flurry of activity among HM's 'gay' community recently on the matter.
In relation to HIV people and gay men who have had sex with other men within a year, broadly the same. Obviously the 'living in England in the 80s and 90s' bit doesn't exist. The restrictions are dealt with here: Give Blood - Who Can't Give Blood

Radix

Kind of interesting OP, given that the organs of the Irish State rapidly rush in to save the life of a Jehovah Witness child whose parents object to him or her receiving a life saving blood transfusion, given of course that the Taoiseach of our land of the ceád míle fáilte, is happy to legislatively facilitate life ending 'procedures' for unwanted children of any religion or none.

neiphin

i inquired about the plasma donations
they close at 5pm ( i think ) on a friday, dont open saturday (for plasma)
i could go to dublin once a month , catch a show, have a meal
iam sure a lot of people down the sticks would like to do the same
pity they dont consider, looking at a way to facilitate same

Hooch

The IBTS deal with the whole gay ban on this page.

MSM - Irish Blood Transfusion Service

The UK allows MSM who have been celibate for 12 months to donate but the IBTS decided against following that policy last year.

Concerning the issue of HIV infection, first of all the window period for testing of HIV is a few weeks if the test is for viral RNA (it's 3-6 months if testing for the antibodies) so waiting for a period of 12 months is overkill.

Secondly, if you want to be specific about the highest risk group for HIV infection, it isn't MSM, it's anyone who practices unprotected anal sex, particularly the receiving partner. That obviously includes heterosexual couplings
and those accounted for 37% of new diagnosis in 2011.

I'm fully aware of the need to take every precaution when dealing with blood donation but the IBTS has been overzealous and is now suffering the consequences.

ruserious

i inquired about the plasma donations
they close at 5pm ( i think ) on a friday, dont open saturday (for plasma)
i could go to dublin once a month , catch a show, have a meal
iam sure a lot of people down the sticks would like to do the same
pity they dont consider, looking at a way to facilitate same
You sound like a 19th Century tramp. :lol:

R

Ramps

Secondly, if you want to be specific about the highest risk group for HIV infection, it isn't MSM, it's anyone who practices unprotected anal sex, particularly the receiving partner. That obviously includes heterosexual couplings
and those accounted for 37% of new diagnosis in 2011.
Where were the heterosexuals from?

What you've written is misleading (accidentally, I'm sure).

Hooch

Where were the heterosexuals from?

What you've written is misleading (accidentally, I'm sure).
I don't think the statistics actually record the nationality of the patients, regardless, the part about bareback anal is still entirely accurate.

SideysGhost

Well, don't be expecting any change in policy at the IBTS any time soon....

Just another tale of corruption, pork, and patronage in dear old Ireland.

FG/Lab really are just the other cheek of the drooling gombeen trough-snouting arse.

Mercurial

If I'm not mistaken, the UK have recently revised their rules on MSM giving blood, on the basis of a study which seems to show that more lives will be saved compared to the additional HIV infections which are likely to occur.

R

Ramps

If I'm not mistaken, the UK have recently revised their rules on MSM giving blood, on the basis of a study which seems to show that more lives will be saved compared to the additional HIV infections which are likely to occur.
They must believe homosexuals comprise a tiny % of the general population....or it was motivated by politically correctness.

stopdoingstuff

But if I get gay blood, won't I get all gayed up and stuff, like Michael Stipe? It's like how CJH allegedly became corrupt after receiving donations from certain allegedly corrupt businessmen.

Mercurial

They must believe homosexuals comprise a tiny % of the general population....or it was motivated by politically correctness.
You can read it for yourself here:

Donor selection criteria review : Department of Health - Publications

Prior to the planned changes, about 5.4% of men would have been intelligible to give blood on the grounds that they had had anal and/or oral sex with another man.

With the planned changes, that number will now be reduced to about 2.1%