• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Time to tackle the Irish energy companies exploitation of Irish citizens?

regnal gib 1

The UK Conservative have decided to tackle the UK energy companies because of their relentless rises in residential energy bills. How long will it take our Government to tackle the current exploitation of Irish consumers, by Irish Energy companies? We usually ape everything from the UK, so I would not be surprised if we see some similar sentiments from our Shoneen Government.

BBC News - Q&A: Energy tariff row

seabhcan

How does what we pay compare to the UK? Or to other EU countries?

Edit: Here: Europe's Energy Portal » Fuel Prices, Rates for Power & Natural Gas

Irelands approximately average to a little above average.

Ireland:

Petrol - €1.69 Gas - €0.0506 Electricity - €0.1920

UK

Petrol - €1.71 Gas - €0.0419 Electricity - €0.1419

Sweden

Petrol - €1.725 Gas - €0.1226 Electricity - €0.2098

Estonia

Petrol - €1.409 Gas - €0.0414 Electricity - €0.0908

Conclusion:

Electricity is up to 50% cheaper in countries with nuclear power. Gas is cheaper the closer you get to Russia. Petrol is expensive everywhere.

Last edited:
D

Dylan2010

petrol would be 70c a ltr if it wasnt for government exploitation of Irish citiznes. hard to get excited about whats happening with the scraps left over

Man or Mouse

petrol would be 70c a ltr if it wasnt for government exploitation of Irish citiznes. hard to get excited about whats happening with the scraps left over
And cars etc would be 50% cheaper too.

nonpartyboy

We were with airtricity for gas + electricity and literally every bill that came in the door was for hundreds of euro, now bear in mind that both of us work so we were gone most of the time, told them to FO a few weeks ago....best thing i ever did.

dizillusioned

What gets me is the Standing charges on Gas especially. I have not switched on the gas since last may. the bills still came in at around 50Euro.

regnal gib 1

How does what we pay compare to the UK? Or to other EU countries?

Edit: Here: Europe's Energy Portal » Fuel Prices, Rates for Power & Natural Gas

Irelands approximately average to a little above average.

Ireland:

Petrol - €1.69 Gas - €0.0506 Electricity - €0.1920

UK

Petrol - €1.71 Gas - €0.0419 Electricity - €0.1419

Sweden

Petrol - €1.725 Gas - €0.1226 Electricity - €0.2098

Estonia

Petrol - €1.409 Gas - €0.0414 Electricity - €0.0908

Conclusion:

Electricity is up to 50% cheaper in countries with nuclear power. Gas is cheaper the closer you get to Russia. Petrol is expensive everywhere.
You can quote what you like but since Private companies became involved in the Irish residential energy business, bills have gone crazy. We were told that competition would reduce prices but this turns out to be anothe lie.

Man or Mouse

We were with airtricity for gas + electricity and literally every bill that came in the door was for hundreds of euro, now bear in mind that both of us work so we were gone most of the time, told them to FO a few weeks ago....best thing i ever did.
That seems to be the pattern

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
Ah it could be worse, I posted this in another thread earlier but its a good one, France once again leads the way in the energy business :p

Heating a French home could soon require an income tax consultation or even a visit to the doctor under legislation to force conservation in the nation’s $46 billion household energy market.
A bill adopted by the lower house this month would set prices that homes pay based on wages, age and climate. Utilities Electricite de France SA and GDF Suez SA (GSZ) will use the data to reward consumers who cut power and natural gas usage and penalize those whom regulators decide are wasteful.

The draft legislation encourages households to use less energy either by changing their habits or insulating their homes. Thrifty energy consumers will be rewarded with lower rates while wasteful ones will have to pay more. The law is supposed to be financially neutral for utilities, according to the draft.

Power and gas bills in France and elsewhere typically vary according to the size of a dwelling, type of heating and whether it’s on a windy Alpine ridge or the warmer Mediterranean coast.

The new French law will add income and the number and age of occupants to the mix. Having a medical condition that requires electricity-powered equipment like respirators or wheelchairs will also enter into the equation.

Power Hogs Targeted by France in Big Brother Legislation - Bloomberg

Radix

This may sound like alchemy to many of you, and it certainly does to me, but an occasional acquaintance of mine showed me a farm installation of his, comprising of a wind turbine and some kind of heat pump apparatus which apparently produces more energy than it consumes.

As far as I understand it, he has the wind turbine producing electricity which heats water using the aforementioned thing called a 'heat pump', which apparently gets even further energy from the ground. Anyway as I understand it, he adds some more energy to this hot water by burning a small amount of gas, thus producing the steam which drives his steam turbine, which he tells me produces more electricity than the wind turbine produces, and also giving him hot water as a 'free' by product.

Is he telling me porkies?

His nickname for the turbine installation by the way, is 'der heilige Gral' if I've spelt that right.

Anyway figure that out if ye will.

He's known in our locality as the mad German professor.

Personally I don't think he is mad; I actually think he has made a discovery of some note.

olli rehn

This may sound like alchemy to many of you, and it certainly does to me, but an occasional acquaintance of mine showed me a farm installation of his, comprising of a wind turbine and some kind of heat pump apparatus which apparently produces more energy than it consumes.

As far as I understand it, he has the wind turbine producing electricity which heats water using the aforementioned thing called a 'heat pump', which apparently gets even further energy from the ground. Anyway as I understand it, he adds some more energy to this hot water by burning a small amount of gas, thus producing the steam which drives his steam turbine, which he tells me produces more electricity than the wind turbine produces, and also giving him hot water as a 'free' by product.

Is he telling me porkies?

His nickname for the turbine installation by the way, is 'der heilige Gral' if I've spelt that right.

Anyway figure that out if ye will.

He's known in our locality as the mad German professor.

Personally I don't think he is mad; I actually think he has made a discovery of some note.
Nothing special, all invented and tested long time ago.
He is telling the truth.
Just google for heat pump and follow all the links for a day or two- you are an expert then for what is on the market in green technology to save a few bob and eliminate some tons of greehouse gases.
Sad that so few people in this country take note of it and just keep going on with oil, coal and the usual stuff Joe Soap from next door has.
Typical bogperson mentality to call this man mad...

realistic1

Nothing special, all invented and tested long time ago.
He is telling the truth.
Just google for heat pump and follow all the links for a day or two- you are an expert then for what is on the market in green technology to save a few bob and eliminate some tons of greehouse gases.
Sad that so few people in this country take note of it and just keep going on with oil, coal and the usual stuff Joe Soap from next door has.
Typical bogperson mentality to call this man mad...

If what he has becomes popular he could well be called a 'terrorist' or some other nonsence. The Health & Safety authority may also move against this, if again it becomes popular. The last thing our Government want is people becoming self sufficient.

neiphin

wer'nt you the great fellow leaving the esb the first day, bet your sorry now

Analyzer

The number one market rigger in Ireland is Eirgrid. They have prohibitivey expensive connection fees for local community groups who try to sell excess power to the grid.

The purpose of this is to protect the ESB largesse and the ESB unions.

And the government is committed to doing zero about this.

neiphin

The number one market rigger in Ireland is Eirgrid. They have prohibitivey expensive connection fees for local community groups who try to sell excess power to the grid.

sraman

That's right. Eirgrid only exists to protect ESB and it's unions. That's why they tried so hard to take ownership of all ESB's Transmission assets. Give us a break!!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies