• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Tipperary LEA Stats - what the reforms will mean....

Casualbets

I've done an analysis of what the criteria mentioned in "Putting People First" would translate into if applied to the current Tipperary Local Electoral Areas (North and South)...

For a start there would be 33 seats....

The LEAS themselves would on the basis of Census 2011 be entitled to the following numbers of seats....

Nenagh 4.2
Newport 3.6
Templemore 3.2
Thurles 3.5
Cahir 3.0
Cashel 2.7
Clonmel 5.1
Fethard 3.9
Tipperary 3.7

Clearly a fair bit of amalgamation will have to take place?

Maybe Newport-Nenagh, Templemore-Thurles.... in the south things look more complicated....

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I've done an analysis of what the criteria mentioned in "Putting People First" would translate into if applied to the current Tipperary Local Electoral Areas (North and South)...

For a start there would be 33 seats....

The LEAS themselves would on the basis of Census 2011 be entitled to the following numbers of seats....

Nenagh 4.2
Newport 3.6
Templemore 3.2
Thurles 3.5
Cahir 3.0
Cashel 2.7
Clonmel 5.1
Fethard 3.9
Tipperary 3.7

Clearly a fair bit of amalgamation will have to take place?

Maybe Newport-Nenagh, Templemore-Thurles.... in the south things look more complicated....
Fair play for the raw analysis but from what I am hearing, things will be a little more complicated. 33 is the bare minimum that can be afforded to Tipp, but last I heard from councillors talking about the reforms, it was likely that there will be 37/39 councillors rather than 33, and if they have any input at all into the reforming of the boundaries, you can bet your last Euro that they will push for the maximum 40 councillors to be the final figure.

It is also likely that there will be 5 Municipal Districts, two in North Tipp, three in South Tipp. Nenagh/Newport and Templemore/Thurles. The other three, in South Tipp will be the strange ones.. last I heard, Clonmel will become a Municipal District by itself (it already is a 7 seater county council area.. but then it becomes massively complicated..

The original idea was a Southern (South Tipp) Municipal District and a Northern (South Tipp) Municipal District. But the positioning of Clonmel geographically makes it very awkward. There is also in the reforms a hope to create Municipal Districts around former Town Councils areas.. so, what might emerge (and it'll be a complete balls up).... is the following

LEAS of Tipp and Cahir become a Municipal District

Clonmel subsumes the whole of the Southern end including Carrick on Suir to become a Southern Municipal District

Cashel is the centre of a Municipal District, but extends into part of what was the old Thurles area (Horse and Jockey, Holycross, Littleton and takes back Cappaghwhite/Hollyford)

The rest of Thurles subsumes the old Templemore Town Council area

And finally Nenagh Newport takes a little off the top end of Templemore and becomes the final Municipal District

You'll have 5 districts.. Clonmel/Carrick with 9/10 seats

Cashel/Thurles 7

Tipp/Cahir 7

Thurles/Templemore 7

Nenagh/Newport 8

38/39 seats with a bit of play to extend to 40 seats.

Casualbets

I agree the Municipal District Councils idea will be a balls up... it assumes that towns are nicely spatially distributed from each other, each with their own hinterland - which they ain't.

john scott

The one sure thing is that there will be blood on the floor in the local elections in 2014.

grassroots

Lots of councillors, especially LAbour ones will take the Redundancy and run. The big wards are a god-send for FF and SF who will pick up loads of seats.
I predict ROC will take a seat if he runs. He would be an addition, even though I would probably agree with about 5% of his policy views.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Lots of councillors, especially LAbour ones will take the Redundancy and run. The big wards are a god-send for FF and SF who will pick up loads of seats.
I predict ROC will take a seat if he runs. He would be an addition, even though I would probably agree with about 5% of his policy views.
Thanks for that.. I think...

I do also think that there will be a run for the door regarding the "redundancy" payment.. but not as much as there was when it was originally brought it.. then if you ran and lost, you lost the parachute payment.. now if you run and lose, you still get the payment

However, a campaign could cost upwards of 20 grand for some candidates... and they may not want to take a chance with that money, especially as the areas are all over the place..

The nomination processes should be some craic though.. maybe parties can adopt the "primaries" system from the States... otherwise, you're goign to have quite a few "gene pool" type Indo's from all the parties running..

30 name ballot papers..

2/3 day counting sessions..

Woohoo....

Kerrygold

Fair play for the raw analysis but from what I am hearing, things will be a little more complicated. 33 is the bare minimum that can be afforded to Tipp, but last I heard from councillors talking about the reforms, it was likely that there will be 37/39 councillors rather than 33, and if they have any input at all into the reforming of the boundaries, you can bet your last Euro that they will push for the maximum 40 councillors to be the final figure.

It is also likely that there will be 5 Municipal Districts, two in North Tipp, three in South Tipp. Nenagh/Newport and Templemore/Thurles. The other three, in South Tipp will be the strange ones.. last I heard, Clonmel will become a Municipal District by itself (it already is a 7 seater county council area.. but then it becomes massively complicated..

The original idea was a Southern (South Tipp) Municipal District and a Northern (South Tipp) Municipal District. But the positioning of Clonmel geographically makes it very awkward. There is also in the reforms a hope to create Municipal Districts around former Town Councils areas.. so, what might emerge (and it'll be a complete balls up).... is the following

LEAS of Tipp and Cahir become a Municipal District

Clonmel subsumes the whole of the Southern end including Carrick on Suir to become a Southern Municipal District

Cashel is the centre of a Municipal District, but extends into part of what was the old Thurles area (Horse and Jockey, Holycross, Littleton and takes back Cappaghwhite/Hollyford)

The rest of Thurles subsumes the old Templemore Town Council area

And finally Nenagh Newport takes a little off the top end of Templemore and becomes the final Municipal District

You'll have 5 districts.. Clonmel/Carrick with 9/10 seats

Cashel/Thurles 7

Tipp/Cahir 7

Thurles/Templemore 7

Nenagh/Newport 8

38/39 seats with a bit of play to extend to 40 seats.
How are you getting those numbers?

If its going to be a ratio of 1:5000 then Tipp would be entitled to 32 councillors. Will they an extra councillor for the lost town councils?

mido

If its going to be a ratio of 1:5000 then Tipp would be entitled to 32 councillors. Will they an extra councillor for the lost town councils?
will be likely to be 31 not 32 given penchant for cuts, about 30 too many in reality for what they will have to do....

Marcos the black

I live in Thurles and I'd get rid of them all.. Useless every single last one of them..

I know this is very very local, but as an example Drish bridge (on Dublin road) has been down to one lane for the last 6 weeks and still no sign of it being finished. It's a 10 meter stretch of road.. The mind boggles..

Town councils should be done away with period (as our American cousins would say) and county councils reduced by at least half..

Kerrygold

I live in Thurles and I'd get rid of them all.. Useless every single last one of them.. I know this is very very local, but as an example Drish bridge (on Dublin road) has been down to one lane for the last 6 weeks and still no sign of it being finished. It's a 10 meter stretch of road.. The mind boggles.. Town councils should be done away with period (as our American cousins would say) and county councils reduced by at least half..
Is that a National Route?

Marcos the black

Is that not the NRA's responsibility?
Don't know, is it? Talking to a builder involved he said it was delayed cos the local town council hadn't bought the replacement rails until the work had actually started and then realised that there was a month turnaround time in manufacture and delivery.. Knowing Thurles Town council this seem very very likely..

Kerrygold

Don't know, is it? Talking to a builder involved he said it was delayed cos the local town council hadn't bought the replacement rails until the work had actually started and then realised that there was a month turnaround time in manufacture and delivery.. Knowing Thurles Town council this seem very very likely..
Don't know, but my understanding is that town councils don't have any responsibility for roads.

Anyway, I think we've derailed the thread!

Marcos the black

Don't know, but my understanding is that town councils don't have any responsibility for roads.

Anyway, I think we've derailed the thread!
Sorry, not my intention.. Just think they should be a major, major cull

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

Only going on what I heard from "sources".. who I would believe. The 1:5000 is a guide number, but the councillors involved in the consultation process are pushing hard for a minimum 7 seats per MD, and there will be 5 in Tipperary.. so that is 35 seats minimum..

Clonmel LEA could be expanded to take in "South" South Tipp (which would encompass the current Clonmel and most of the Fethard LEA. This currently has 13 county councillors 7+6, and would go back to 9) Nenagh Newport would take some of the Templemore LEA and rise to 8 councillors..

So you are looking at

3 seven seat MDA's

1 eight seat

1 nine seat

38 councillors ... what's the betting they won't push hard for the whole 40 to be introduced ?

mido

Only going on what I heard from "sources".. who I would believe. The 1:5000 is a guide number, but the councillors involved in the consultation process are pushing hard for a minimum 7 seats per MD, and there will be 5 in Tipperary.. so that is 35 seats minimum..

Clonmel LEA could be expanded to take in "South" South Tipp (which would encompass the current Clonmel and most of the Fethard LEA. This currently has 13 county councillors 7+6, and would go back to 9) Nenagh Newport would take some of the Templemore LEA and rise to 8 councillors..

So you are looking at

3 seven seat MDA's

1 eight seat

1 nine seat

38 councillors ... what's the betting they won't push hard for the whole 40 to be introduced ?
or more likely maybe just 30 despite all the huffing and puffing in the consultation process

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
or more likely maybe just 30 despite all the huffing and puffing in the consultation process
Nah... Tipp is a Blue County.. Hogan will be made stretch it out as far as he can go.. it's FG who will get the biggest hit in the next locals..

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Not as blue as mayo where they are losing seats
Councillors set for big showdown
First casualty of the reforms in Tipp goes to the Labour Party... Cllr Billy Bourke has resigned from the party over it's "betrayal" of councillors.. expect a good few more as they start positioning themselves for runs in 2014

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies