Tken Down: Propaganda masquerading as drama

Clanrickard

Taken Down: Propaganda masquerading as drama

I don't know if anyone watched this last night but if you did I'd like to know your thoughts. For me it was thinly disguised leftists open borders type propaganda. The poor immigrants are living in direct provision and it is portrayed as awful with the manger played by Brian Gleeson who is bumbling and absent minded. All the male Guards are racist boors and all the female Guards are nice thoughtful and intelligent. The main female Guard has a suitably right on working class Dublin accent. The good guys and bad guys are paper cut out characters. Is these really the best RTE can do? Needless to say the IT loved it Taken Down: New crime drama puts direct provision in the dock The "review" starts with ................
Here’s an arresting idea for a police procedural: a murder mystery where the suspects are already in prison.
And to think this poor man's BBC is looking for more of your hard earned Euro. :mad2:

Last edited:

statsman

I thought it was OK, a bit over-simplified but not as bad as many of RTE's drama offerings.

OP, if you edit your post and go to Advanced, you can fix the typo in the title.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I don't know if anyone watched this last night but if you did I'd like to know your thoughts. For me it was thinly disguised leftists open borders type propaganda. The poor immigrants are living in direct provision and it is portrayed as awful with the manger played by Brian Gleeson who is bumbling and absent minded. All the male Guards are racist boors and all the female Guards are nice thoughtful and intelligent. The main female Guard has a suitably right on working class Dublin accent. The good guys and bad guys are paper cut out characters. Is these really the best RTE can do? Needless to say the IT loved it Taken Down: New crime drama puts direct provision in the dock The "review" starts with ................ And to think this poor man's BBC is looking for more of your hard earned Euro. :mad2:
Maybe it needs more money to make better drama

Gin Soaked

Maybe it needs more money to make better drama
If they had Amy Huberman's turgid dross budget added to it, that could help.

Thought it was OK. The acting was not that bad. And the portrayal of Direct Provision and how it affects people is worthy. We've made a balls of this and need an amnesty and then proper fast tracking of cases from now on. Limit appeals.so we don't end up with culturally Irish non nationals.

Unless there is a whiff of extremism , we should just empty these camps.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Thought it was OK. The acting was not that bad. And the portrayal of Direct Provision and how it affects people is worthy. We've made a balls of this and need an amnesty and then proper fast tracking of cases from now on. Limit appeals.so we don't end up with culturally Irish non nationals.

Agreed. BTW, I didn't watch it.

deepness

It's entertainment. If you don't like it, switch channels.

Maybe so, it kind of felt like a lecture at times though and not hugely entertaining.. Wasnt impressed really, but I'll check it out next week to see if it improves.

Did the same with that God awful Amy Huberman thing, which after episode 3 I won't be watching again. Not funny and badly acted

Alphonse

I haven't seen it but a realistic and topical subject matter for a drama is fine I think although I really didn't like love hate for instance. I would think there is nothing wrong with a bit of fluff or escapism when it comes to tv either.

GDPR

Maybe so, it kind of felt like a lecture at times though and not hugely entertaining.. Wasnt impressed really, but I'll check it out next week to see if it improves.

Did the same with that God awful Amy Huberman thing, which after episode 3 I won't be watching again. Not funny and badly acted
It was alright, will probably watch it next week. If the plot doesn't pick up, then I'll leave it. Yer man been found hanging, will probably lead to outrage in how he was treated etc would be next week's opening I imagine. I want to see police finding baddy stuff developing.

Lúidín

I didn't see it but I have always regarded all drama, news and commentary as propaganda. The truth, if there is a truth to be found, lies somewhere between conflicting assertions.

Will check it out but from the OP's critique it sounds tediously lob-sided.

Gin Soaked

I didn't see it but I have always regarded all drama, news and commentary as propaganda. The truth, if there is a truth to be found, lies somewhere between conflicting assertions.

Will check it out but from the OP's critique it sounds tediously lob-sided.
There has to be a criminal dimension to all of this in the plot. The scumbag element will emerge. Now, how they are painted will be interesting.

But as a premis for a drama, it is solid. And if it brings some of the realities of Direct Provision into our living rooms, then that is no harm either.

MsDaisyC

It's a drama, not a documentary.

darkhorse4

It's a drama, not a documentary.
There was very little drama in it
A woman was found murdered which was about the heightof it
The rest of it was devoted to evoking sympathy for the plight of asylum seekers and portraying white males as generally lazy and pig ignorant

Hibee

The rest of it was devoted to evoking sympathy for the plight of asylum seekers and portraying white males as generally lazy and pig ignorant

Why do RTE need to spend money on a drama doing something the Irish Times already does ?

MsDaisyC

Still not a documentary, though.

Levellers

It was a bit slow but it set the ground for the next five episodes.

Direct Provision Centres are the modern day equivalent of the Mother and Baby Homes.

Clanrickard

I thought it was OK, a bit over-simplified but not as bad as many of RTE's drama offerings.

OP, if you edit your post and go to Advanced, you can fix the typo in the title.
Did it thanks.

I would agree that they should be closed but people are in DP centres because they have been found to not have met the criteria for asylum. No mention of that in the programme. The mother was there 5 years. If so she has had her asylum application turned down and probably an appeal as well.

It was the one dimensional portrayal of all the Irish men in the programme that annoyed me. Zero effort at nuance.

Direct Provision Centres are the modern day equivalent of the Mother and Baby Homes.
Yet given the option of going back to their homelands all the occupants stay so it can't be that bad. Like I said they should be closable and the occupants given an amnesty.

MsDaisyC

It was the one dimensional portrayal of all the Irish men in the programme that annoyed me. Zero effort at nuance.
Don't ever watch The Walking Dead and their one dimensional portrayal of male zombies. Zero effort at nuance! You'll need the smelling salts.

Clanrickard

Don't ever watch The Walking Dead and their one dimensional portrayal of male zombies. Zero effort at nuance! You'll need the smelling salts.
You know Zombies aren't real right?