To urge councillors- County/City Development Plans- naming policies

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
I started a thread on the site last week about the all-Irish naming policies in Dublin City Council, Galway City, South Dublin County Council, Shannon and Navan possibly coming into Fingal. The latest update I have by the way on that is that another motion is going to be put down in February but this time there is going to be a vote on it.

Ard Eadrad Mulhuddart

I presume that all of the councils in the state are at around the same stage in the development of their new five year Development Plans. The plans are going out to public consultation now or already have been. The views from the public are then taken on board and councillors have a last chance to put down motions.

I urge everyone to lobby for the all-Irish naming policies in their councils but considering only councillors can put down put motions I especially urge councillors reading this site- and TD's, Senators and general party members- to put down/ask your councillor(s) to put down a motion in your local council now if there is still time trying to get the all-Irish language naming policy in your council.

At least 600 new developments were named in Irish in the last ten years in the state. I have over 500 of them shown here. You can also email or pm if I can be of any assistance. Contacting one of the councillors who put down the motions in the current councils with the policies e.g. Críona Ní Dhálaigh in Dublin City Council would be a good idea.

If a motion is going down I suggest that you contact Conradh na Gaeilge and Glór na nGael in Dublin to see if they have craobhacha in your areas so that they can lobby councillors also.

If occasionally an English name would historically be more suited to an Irish name in an area- this would happen moreso in urban areas- a name in Irish with a geographical connection could be chosen or the development could be named bilingually. Certainly nobody should want a lot of the areas sounding the same which I have heard is often the case in Galway City. So I would urge councillors to put down motions to establish a naming committee(s) in the councils also.

Prince of Wales Terrace Ballsbridge

I take my hat off to any councillor willing to make a big impact for the Irish language locally in their areas and councils by putting down a motion saying that all new residential developments are should be named solely in Irish :D

Mushroom

Darren old bean, would you kindly let me have the names of all of the half-witted councillors in Fingal who support this latest attempt by the looney Celtic Fringe to force-feed a dead language down our throats, so I can ensure that I never inadvertently vote for any of them again, there's a good chap.

le meas,

do chara,

Muisiriún

hmmm

More mindless interference in the market and more stupid social engineering laws for no reason. If councillors are looking for something to do perhaps they can go pick up litter in their local park.

Mushroom

More mindless interference in the market and more stupid social engineering laws for no reason. If councillors are looking for something to do perhaps they can go pick up litter in their local park.
Surely you mean "pick up brúscar"?

I always think that our Irish streets look far more cosmopolitan because they're awash with brúscar rather than merely with litter.

Last edited:

Inda Kenny

More evidence not that we need it that we have too many councillers who obviously too much time on their hands. It would be far better if they got together local business to stimulate local economies

Mushroom

In the little guidebook that all new Councillors are given when they get elected, there's a section that offers tips on how to get on with the public. One of the tips advises them always to pander to gaelgeoirs - "it's usually quite easy to do and they are much less of a nuisance if you give them the impression that you agree with their aspirations."

DJP

Website
Twitter
And the nobody-knows-who-they-are cultural empty vessels are out again...

I pity any Irish person who does not realise that many of our residential areas are named badly and that we need a lot more Irish language named developments to revert the visible effect of anglicizaion in housing.

Mushroom

Why?

Inda Kenny

People can have culture but this does not mean they want to name all estates in Irish.

DJP

Website
Twitter
If they do not realise that many of our residential areas are named badly and that we need a lot more Irish language named developments to revert the visible effect of anglicizaion in housing then they could be just stupid I suppose. Or like my old friend Anglo-Irish.

Mushroom

Because you are not proud of our indigenous culture, at least not of our language anyway. You are people without culture and without Irish cultural values.
Irish hasn't been spoken in my neck of the woods for over a thousand years, sunshine. Hereabouts, the King's English is the Lingua Franca.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Irish hasn't been spoken in my neck of the woods for over a thousand years, sunshine. Hereabouts, the King's English is the Lingua Franca.
Where do you live? And you know that there are no Irish speakers there?

Mushroom

Where do you live? And you know that there are no Irish speakers there?
I live in the Pale Darren (like you do) - and there are many Polish, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Latvian, French, Spanish, Lithuanian, Roma and Irish speakers in my neighbourhood. All of them are blow-ins.

Not even the teachers in the local gaelscoil (where my kids went) are from the area - they were economic migrants from the West, South West and North West of Ireland.

Now kindly so stop trying to shove your ersatz, mickey mouse imported Irish culture lark down my throat. :mad:

eyelight

Because you are not proud of our indigenous culture, at least not of our language anyway. You are people without culture and without Irish cultural values.
So you want to rename "Prince of Wales Terrace"?

I think it's just as much part of Ireland's culture and heritage as anything else. Or do you want to erase part of history? Would you like to continue by bulldozing the remnants of Georgian Dublin, much like Fianna Fáil's Kevin Boland and De Valera wanted to do?

As the previous poster says, the Lingua Franca of Dublin has been English for hundreds of years, as it has for most of the country. The fascist ideology of disgruntled gaelgoirs with large anti-English chips on their shoulders is not something that should be entertained.

There's hundreds of years of history in Dublin involving Irish, English, Anglo-Irish and all sorts of other groupings, and that's what's reflected in the names of the streets. That's our history. Not some butchered gaelicised version.

hmmm

Let people choose when they're buying a house. If they want to live in "Ashfield road" or "Pairc na cailini nic athas an bhfuil cead agam dul amach mas e do thoil e" then let them choose. Why ram it down people's throats to suit your cultural agenda.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Now kindly so stop trying to shove your ersatz, mickey mouse imported Irish culture lark down my throat. :mad:

Ersatz imported culture my ass. Get used to it. The policy now is in the capital of Ireland Dublin. If councillors voted for it there they can vote for it anywhere. Expect the policy to be in a lot more places when the next Developments Plans are being drawn up. You will have to lump it! You have lost this debate in Dublin City- the old Pale. And I started this thread to appeal to councillors to to feed the anti-Irish language cranks on this site.

Mushroom

I loath the usage of English names for new estates just as much as the next man - "Ongar" makes me puke.

The problem that I have with Gaelgeoir loonies is that they all believe that coercion is preferable to reason or persuasion - that's why I despise them - facistini an slua go leor.

DJP

Website
Twitter
So you want to rename "Prince of Wales Terrace"?

I think it's just as much part of Ireland's culture and heritage as anything else. Or do you want to erase part of history? Would you like to continue by bulldozing the remnants of Georgian Dublin, much like Fianna Fáil's Kevin Boland and De Valera wanted to do?

As the previous poster says, the Lingua Franca of Dublin has been English for hundreds of years, as it has for most of the country. The fascist ideology of disgruntled gaelgoirs with large anti-English chips on their shoulders is not something that should be entertained.

There's hundreds of years of history in Dublin involving Irish, English, Anglo-Irish and all sorts of other groupings, and that's what's reflected in the names of the streets. That's our history. Not some butchered gaelicised version.
I would only be in favour of renaming streets if the residents wanted them renamed. The residents in Prince of Wales Terrace in Ballsbridge in Dublin are probably West-Brits. The all-Irish policy is not a policy to rename existing areas.

DJP

Website
Twitter
I loath the usage of English names for new estates just as much as the next man - "Ongar" makes me puke.

The problem that I have with Gaelgeoir loonies is that they all believe that coercion is preferable to reason or persuasion - that's why I despise them - facistini an slua go leor.
Have you got an alternative to the all-Irish policy and, crucially, have you ever considered doing anything about it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies