Today is the 60th anniversary of the defeat of the 1956 Hungarian revolution

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
On 10 November 1956, Russian invasion forces subdued the main body of Hungarian Revolutionaries who had taken over the country in a rebellion that had started on 23 October against the Soviet-backed communists by the demolition of a large statue of Stalin on the site of a historic church that had been demolished to make way for it. A few outlying units of rebels managed to hold out until the following day.

The events had resulted in a total of about 2500 (largely civilian) Hungarian dead and about 700 on the Soviet side. There were to be a total of about 230 executed subsequent to the suppression of the rising.

It was the first time Soviet hegemony was faced with a substantial challenge in Eastern Europe since their victory against the Nazis in 1945.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_Revolution_of_1956

The Guardian has published a magnicifent pictorial report on the revolution (from the point of view of the rebels, but warts and all) to mark the anniversary:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2016/nov/10/1956-hungarian-revolution-in-pictures

rainmaker

Administrator
On 10 November 1956, Russian invasion forces subdued the main body of Hungarian Revolutionaries who had taken over the country in a rebellion that had started on 23 October against the Soviet-backed communists by the demolition of a large statue of Stalin on the site of a historic church that had been demolished to make way for it. A few outlying units of rebels managed to hold out until the following day.

The events had resulted in a total of about 2500 (largely civilian) Hungarian dead and about 700 on the Soviet side. There were to be a total of about 230 executed subsequent to the suppression of the rising.

The Guardian has published a magnicifent pictorial report on the revolution to mark the anniversary:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2016/nov/10/1956-hungarian-revolution-in-pictures
Fantastic images in there from an oft overlooked event in modern history. The spirit of those rising against oppression in the almost certain knowledge of their fate is all the more humbling viewed from this era.

A sobering lesson for those on this board who hold the former USSR in such high esteem.

GDPR

Fantastic images in there from an oft overlooked event in modern history. The spirit of those rising against oppression in the almost certain knowledge of their fate is all the more humbling viewed from this era.

A sobering lesson for those on this board who hold the former USSR in such high esteem.
Arent you given to throwing around the "anti-semitic" smear unto people? :rolleyes:

If the Arrow Cross insurgency had been successful there would be literally no Jews left in Hungary.

GDPR

How was it reported in the media at the time, or did it take a while to come out?

Clanrickard

Don't feed the troll. Very good OP. Was in Budapest a few times when lived in the neighbourhood. Some very moving symbols commemorating the rising.

GDPR

How was it reported in the media at the time, or did it take a while to come out?
In private NATO saw the Soviets as the lesser evil- remember that a lot of people had gone through a very brutal war with the Hitlerites.

Toland

Website
Don't feed the troll. Very good OP. Was in Budapest a few times when lived in the neighbourhood. Some very moving symbols commemorating the rising.
I largely agree with the positive historical evaluation of the revolution, but it had its savage side too. There were indeed several anti-semitic attacks during the rising and many collaborators with the communists were summarily executed.

gerhard dengler

I attended Mass recently in Donnycarney Church. At the time of the uprising, and because of that parish's connection with Gyor in Hungary the parish organised prayer vigils for Hungary throughout that period in 1956. They had on display at the entrance to the church
photos and press cuttings showing thousands of people attending these vigils. As the priest at Mass said, the size of donations from a poor parish for the people of Hungary was phenomenal at the time.

owedtojoy

It was the first time Soviet hegemony was faced with a substantial challenge in Eastern Europe since their victory against the Nazis in 1945.

The Guardian has published a magnicifent pictorial report on the revolution (from the point of view of the rebels, but warts and all) to mark the anniversary:

You must realise that Russia does not "invade countries". Only the USA does that.

Russia "gets invited by friendly governments" to send it's armies.

owedtojoy

I remember bring in infants class being taught by nuns in 1956.

Two of them told us a story of a Russian "tank" (I had no idea what a military tank was, the picture to me was of a large cubical object) firing into a school in Budapest. They gave us a graphic description of children burning and leaping out the windows to escape the flames. I, and the whole class, were scared out of our wits. I am sure the teachers would be suspended today.

These were pre-TV days so our imaginations filled in details of the horror - of course in my mind was that our school was burning and me who was leaping out the window. It was a tall building.

Obviously, that incident is one I remember vividly. Now the Russians were bad enough, but I do not think this school-burning really happened. But it does illustrate the fear instilled by the godless Russian invasion of Hungary in Catholic Ireland.

Toland

Website
I remember bring in infants class being taught by nuns in 1956.

Two of them told us a story of a Russian "tank" (I had no idea what a military tank was, the picture to me was of a large cubical object) firing into a school in Budapest. They gave us a graphic description of children burning and leaping out the windows to escape the flames. I, and the whole class, were scared out of our wits. I am sure the teachers would be suspended today.

These were pre-TV days so our imaginations filled in details of the horror - of course in my mind was that our school was burning and me who was leaping out the window. It was a tall building.

Obviously, that incident is one I remember vividly. Now the Russians were bad enough, but I do not think this school-burning really happened. But it does illustrate the fear instilled by the godless Russian invasion of Hungary in Catholic Ireland.
People forget that Hungary was very much (and to some extent still is) a Catholic country, which goes some of the way to explaining the otherwise inexplicable fact that it kept it together with Austria -- even after 1848 and the 1867 Compromise.

freewillie

Don't be raising issues like this. We don't want to embarrass Halligan Rabbits Gilford and gang who were strong supporters of our Soviet friends

JacquesHughes

I largely agree with the positive historical evaluation of the revolution, but it had its savage side too. There were indeed several anti-semitic attacks during the rising and many collaborators with the communists were summarily executed.
It was, to quite an extent, that rare thing, a spontaneous revolution, not a coup d'etat, cf 1798.

gerhard dengler

The historical record suggests that it started off as a peaceful demonstration with very moderate demands that was appallingly handled by the government of the time.
All of those countries in the former Eastern bloc were vassal states for Moscow. It was under Khruschev's tenure that more direct military intervention began to take place in those countries.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies