Today, Marks The 100th Anniversary of John Redmond M.P.'s Death

General Urko

At 61 years old, The leader of Irish Nationalism, John Redmond, died in London of complications arising after a gallstones operation, which was a relatively routine operation at the time.

I would tend to view him as The Gorbachev of Irish Politics, a well intentioned failure!

If things had turned out differently, especially, a shorter WW1, as everyone anticipated, he might be remembered as the hero of heroes, but that is of course not what happened!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Redmond

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gone-but-not-forgotten-wexford-remembers-john-redmond-1.3414604

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/john-redmond-a-man-of-violence-says-gerry-adams-1.1972906

He was a passionate supporter of Parnell after the split, which would have put him very much in the minority of The Home Rule equivalent party, which he ultimately became leader of in its final incarnation.

His son, he had faught in WW1 became an M.P. afterwards and his brother, Willie, died during the conflict.

He was offered a cabinet post in the WW1 Cabinet, but refused as the traditional position of Home Rulers was to never do so, until Ireland had its own parliament, Craig, of course jumped at the opportunity!

General Urko

And of course he died prior to the end of the War and before the war of independence had started!

Analyzer

John Redmond lost political credibility when he told the young men to go to the trenches.

I suppose he wanted to prevent the country taking orders from any Junkers.

Maybe he was onto something....

Ex celt

A real hero. Constitutional. Sadly WW1 ruined it all and a small group of persons with personality disorders allied with paedophiles,self hating anglo-irish and religious fanatics took centre stage. Eire would have prospered as a dominion and we would not have had the last 100 years of BS,sectarianism,corrosive british and irish nationalism/loyalism and creatures like Jarry etc would have stayed in the swamp.

devoutcapitalist

A real hero. Constitutional. Sadly WW1 ruined it all and a small group of persons with personality disorders allied with paedophiles,self hating anglo-irish and religious fanatics took centre stage. Eire would have prospered as a dominion and we would not have had the last 100 years of BS,sectarianism,corrosive british and irish nationalism/loyalism and creatures like Jarry etc would have stayed in the swamp.
If you had been alive in the 1910's you would have probably have despised Redmond and been opposed to Home Rule.

wombat

He was a passionate supporter of Parnell after the split, which would have put him very much in the minority of The Home Rule equivalent party, which he ultimately became leader of in its final incarnation.
I remember my father saying that the old people stayed with Redmond in the 1918 election, he said his grandfather when pist, would criticise DeV as "he thinks he's Parnell, he's no Parnell":lol:

parentheses

Autistic crap from ex Celt. It was the British who destroyed John Redmond. See my thread, "Walter Long, the man who destroyed John Redmond".

Ex celt

Autistic crap from ex Celt. It was the British who destroyed John Redmond. See my thread, "Walter Long, the man who destroyed John Redmond".
Your thread? Sure you are sf/ira and have no cred.Have a read of Dermot Meleady’s two part bio and be enlightened or get someone to explain it to you.

mac tíre

It obviously hurts you. We know.

All together now... ahhhhhhhhh.

General Urko

I reckon for one thing, Ireland would have been destroyed during during WW2!

razorblade

No it would have prospered perhaps if the British state didnt pummel all its resouses for centuries its people with your sort of mindset which left it in the state it was in.

macnessa

I was alive in 1910 and was an adherent of Dominion Status and the Gold Standard.
You are telling us you are 108 years old. lol. You are not just an ex celt but to my mind, ex everything else as well

razorblade

I reckon for one thing, Ireland would have been destroyed during during WW2!
Yes which is why remaining neutral during that war was the best possible option we could have made anyone who believes otherwise is smoking very strong stuff.

General Urko

Yes which is why remaining neutral during that war was the best possible option we could have made anyone who believes otherwise is smoking very strong stuff.
Absolutely and one of the few dissenters on this at the time was James Dillon, who ironically took over from Redmond, back in the day!

The_SR

A well intentioned man who failed totally. Shafted by the British and overtaken by events.

Dasayev

Said it before.

He's our Chamberlain - a decent but naive individual trying to do deals with devils.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies