• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Today, World AIDS Day - Has prevention of HIV been abandoned in Ireland?

Beaker

Today is world AIDS day..... The statistics for Ireland (and Globally) are frightening. HIV Prevention campagins seem to have dwindled to little more than a few newspaper adverts to use a condom!

Rates of HIV are on the increase, especially for young gay men in their 20's, who dont view HIV as a serious disease, and have no idea of the burden of taking antiretroviral medication for the rest of their lives....

So there is lots of money used for Treating HIV globally, but the whole drive to Prevent the transmission of HIV has evaporated and lost momentum and relevance....

Why is this??? So that drug manufacturers can clean up on a global epidemic?

Last edited:

R

Ramps

Because for the vast, vast majority of Irish people, the chances of contracting HIV is almost zero. There are enough real problems to worry about.

Beaker

Because for the vast, vast majority of Irish people, the chances of contracting HIV is almost zero. There are enough real problems to worry about.
You make a valid point!

I wonder though what happened in Africa, where the HIV / AIDS epidemic probably began as something that did not affect the 'vast, vast majority of people' as you put it above...... I wonder what happened, or how did the passing of time affect this situation..???

Druidess

We all know how HIV/AIDS is contracted, we know how to minimise risks of spreading and contracting this disease. I include high risk groups in this also.

Perhaps one way to contribute to HIV prevention would be if high profile people such as Zuma led by example in their behaviour and rhetoric.

R

Ramps

You make a valid point!

I wonder though what happened in Africa, where the HIV / AIDS epidemic probably began as something that did not affect the 'vast, vast majority of people' as you put it above...... I wonder what happened, or how did the passing of time affect this situation..???
Good question. I've never seen a plausible account as to why HIV's became so prevalent in Africa as opposed to the West. I think, and I'm only speculating here, that it is very difficult for scientists and academics to speak freely about Africa because they are terrified of being called racist.

Whether that's true or not, the doomsday scenario of widespread prevalence of HiV in the West just hasn't come about.

Druidess

Latest data from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) shows that the number of people living with the virus in the UK has almost hit 100,000, with 6,280 people diagnosed with HIV last year, and new diagnoses among gay men reached an all-time high in 2011, with 3,010 men discovering they were infected.

The HPA said one in 20 men who have sex with men in the UK now have HIV, the figure soars to nearly one in 12 in London, and black African people are also at a higher risk with 37 per 1,000 living with the infection - overall HIV prevalence in the UK was 1.5 per 1,000 people.

HIV, which attacks the immune system and weakens the ability to fight infections and disease, is found in the body fluids of an infected person, and about 95% of people are infected through sexual contact, and Aids is the final stage of HIV infection when the body can no longer fight life-threatening infections.

More here:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/cameron-spr...001956632.html
East and central Africa have shockingly high rates of HIV. And mostly spread through heterosexual sex, a lot of that rape and transactional sex. Yet despite this, populations continue to rise.

Red_93

Good question. I've never seen a plausible account as to why HIV's became so prevalent in Africa as opposed to the West. I think, and I'm only speculating here, that it is very difficult for scientists and academics to speak freely about Africa because they are terrified of being called racist.

Whether that's true or not, the doomsday scenario of widespread prevalence of HiV in the West just hasn't come about.
I don't know much about it but there are, I think, many reasons. I have heard that black people generally are more susceptible to it. There are other things like lack of education. One story I read before talked about witch doctors saying that a cure for hiv in a man was to have sex with a virgin. That kind of stuff obviously doesn't help.

R

Ramps

I don't know much about it but there are, I think, many reasons. I have heard that black people generally are more susceptible to it. There are other things like lack of education. One story I read before talked about witch doctors saying that a cure for hiv in a man was to have sex with a virgin. That kind of stuff obviously doesn't help.
The strange thing is we know from the statistics that during the "Celtic Tiger" period, rates of contraction of STIs went through the roof, so it wasn't as though young Irish people weren't having unprotected sex; even still, the rates of contraction of HIV remained quite stable. Beats me!!

White Horse

So there is lots of money used for Treating HIV globally, but the whole drive to Prevent the transmission of HIV has evaporated and lost momentum and relevance....

I wouldn't be surprised if economics and profit play a part. It may be cynical, but perhaps not that far-fetched.

Also, the vulnerable groups; junkies, homosexual men, and sub-Saharan men are loathe to change their behaviour.

Hitch 22

It's obvious why AIDS became prevalent in Africa - there is little or no sex education or any kind of education for that matter, superstition beliefs are rife and contraception is unavailable and an impossible to access luxury for millions of people who live in grinding poverty.

I would imagine there are few single Irish people who aren't using condoms when they have sex.

Last edited:
R

Ramps

It's obvious why AIDS became prevalent in Africa - there is little or no sex education or any kind of education for that matter, superstition beliefs are rife and contraception is unavailable and an impossible to access luxury for millions of people who live in grinding poverty.

I would imagine there are few single Irish people who aren't using condoms when they have sex.
Please see my previous comment re STIs in Ireland.

Beaker

I wouldn't be surprised if economics and profit play a part. It may be cynical, but perhaps not that far-fetched.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I guess that a single advert in a national newspaper costs €5,000 and that peobably many times the annual cost of treating a single person with anti HIV medication.

Economists probably have an exact formula that calculates the cost benefit ratio of public awareness and prevention campaigns Vs just treating people.....

Mercurial

Every single day, thousands of people die from HIV/AIDS, yet you don't consider this to be a "real problem" that we should worry about?

And So I Said

Every single day, thousands of people die from HIV/AIDS, yet you don't consider this to be a "real problem" that we should worry about?
Many people in Ireland die from AIDS but people are told it was something else due to stigma and bigotry.

People's attitudes towards HIV victims is one of the worst things about being HIV+.

[video=youtube;11LFPWyghy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11LFPWyghy8[/video]

[video=youtube;JvzlXORwGgM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzlXORwGgM[/video]

southwestkerry

STD's are on every ones mind. Some however are reckless to a point. Others just think if they catch something some Dr some where will put it right.
Aids I think just is not getting the press it once did. I doubt it has anything to do with pill popping/making companies.
SWK

Hooch

HIV rates are tied to two things, poverty and lack of education.

Sex education in Ireland is very patchy.

Third of pupils got no sex education | Irish Examiner

One-in-three sexually active Irish adults did not receive sex education at school, a new survey to be published today reveals.
A global poll by condom maker Durex also shows 55% of Irish 18-year-olds say they will leave secondary school without any formal sex education, while a further 15% say they cannot remember receiving theirs.

The Irish component of the survey also finds that just one-in-five respondents said their major source of sex education was from school, with 41% claiming most of their knowledge was garnered from friends, with 35% claiming they found out about sex from books.

Magazines and television shows were listed as other sources of information, but overall just 11% said they had felt well-prepared for their first sexual experience.
So setting up a formal curriculum that deals with everything from puberty and pregnancy right through to STIs would be an extremely important first step, unfortunately I forsee issues with religious ethos and this "abstinence only" nonsense that goes with it.

The second thing is poverty which really means lack of access to contraception. Condoms are expensive and the government are considering applying a levy which will make them even more so.

Another thing to consider is that, with the availability of the morning after pill, more heterosexual couples are abandoning condoms because their big concern when having unprotected sex is unwanted pregnancy rather than STIs.

Hooch

Today is world AIDS day..... The statistics for Ireland (and Globally) are frightening. HIV Prevention campagins seem to have dwindled to little more than a few newspaper adverts to use a condom!

Rates of HIV are on the increase, especially for young gay men in their 20's, who dont view HIV as a serious disease, and have no idea of the burden of taking antiretroviral medication for the rest of their lives....

There's a few things wrong with this post.

Firstly, the rates of new HIV infections have plummeted.

UNAIDS reports a more than 50% drop in new HIV infections across 25 countries as countries approach the 1000 day deadline to achieve global AIDS targets

A new World AIDS Day report: Results, by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), shows that unprecedented acceleration in the AIDS response is producing results for people. The report shows that a more than 50% reduction in the rate of new HIV infections has been achieved across 25 low- and middle-income countries––more than half in Africa, the region most affected by HIV.
Secondly, a vaccine for HIV made a significant leap forward earlier this year.

HIV vaccine closer after antibodies breakthrough - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 23, 2012

MEDICAL RESEARCH by a team of South African scientists has revealed how two HIV-positive women’s bodies were able to produce antibodies capable of killing nine of the 10 known strains of the virus.

Scientists have known for some time that one in five people infected by HIV have the capability of producing antibodies that can fight it after a number of years, but until now they were unable to say how the process occurred.

After studying two women whose bodies were capable of producing the antibodies they have finally solved the mystery, according to Penny Moore, lead author of a paper describing the discovery and a senior scientist at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases.
The HSE have had the "Think Contraception" campaign going for a while now but nothing like that is a substitute for a formalised sex education which is sorely lacking from our classrooms.

Hooch

One last thing, though there is certainly a great deal of campaigning done on use of contraception, there isn't really any on HIV screening.

HIV screening is free in Ireland and every sexually active person, especially gay men should get themselves tested on a semi-regular basis. Depending on the type of test you get done, you could get the results in 20-30 minutes.

There's really no disadvantage to getting tested, if it's negative then you get peace of mind, if it's positive then it will save your life!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies