Tom Murphy RIP

TakeitAll

I'm sure he was but never heard of him to be honest, then again I don't have any interest in the Arts, Theater, Plays etc.. Always find the folk who are into it over signify it's importance, such as when the likes of Michael D pays tribute to those who pass away that were involved in some shape or form in the Arts.

storybud1

I'm sure he was but never heard of him to be honest, then again I don't have any interest in the Arts, Theater, Plays etc.. Always find the folk who are into it over signify it's importance, such as when the likes of Michael D pays tribute to those who pass away that were involved in some shape or form in the Arts.
The D4 bubble living morons in RTE devoted almost half the 6 o clock news to a guy 99% of Irish people never heard of,
it sure shows what kind of connected people are feeding us so called news !!

DizzyMitchell

The D4 bubble living morons in RTE devoted almost half the 6 o clock news to a guy 99% of Irish people never heard of,
Oh please. Can you really be so ignorant. One of the most important dramatists of our time dies and you blithely claim never to have heard of him. Your loss.

seanof

Clearly, it goes right over your head. The spelling is "theatre" in these parts. The fact that you haven't heard of him is a reflection on you rather than on those who appreciate his importance.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Always find the folk who are into it over signify it's importance.
There's a large deal of arrogance too. Just look at the OP. "Someone we can all be proud of"!!

seanof

Prove it. Don't project your ignorance and philistinism on others.

gatsbygirl20

Tom Murphy was born in Tuam, far from your so-called "D4 bubble"

He was one of the country's most respected and successful playwrights

He worked a lot with the Druid Theatre---a West of Ireland company that was set up to move theatre outside the "D4 bubble"

It's founders, Gary Hynes and Marie Mullen were from Ballaghadereen and Ballymote, respectively

They won Tony awards on Broadway

storybud1

Oh please. Can you really be so ignorant. One of the most important dramatists of our time dies and you blithely claim never to have heard of him. Your loss.
not really, his plays were a blinding success in ? ehh, well , ehh, oh that's right, bubble land,

I do think he was important but just not that important, a blind man could see the CC control over Irish people was to be challenged and exposed, it's the "soft - fake news" RTE's LEVEL of promoting huge amounts of time to his death is my problem, it clearly shows RTE / Higgins etc as atheists (while Zappone is flying in thousands of muslims on our money) as hypocritical,

Why on earth are we watching hypocrites promoting an atheist playwrite (no problem with atheists what so ever, pretty much leaning that way anyway) while RTE in the same broadcast give Hamas scum a free advert ?

It RTE I am most annoyed with, they simply are not fit for the job, time for a referendum,, do we want to pay 160 yoyos a year for D4 bubble latte liberals to spew their sh1te or not ?

Nedz Newt

Anyone familiar with the Sawdoctors would have heard of him
[video=youtube;TPzEkY3G-Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPzEkY3G-Fc[/video]
He was as important as any Irish playwright of the late 19th or early 20th century, who may not have been appreciated in their own time either.

jmcc

Unfortunately most people don't go to the theatre on a regular basis so he would have gone largely unnoticed by the majority of the Irish people.

TakeitAll

Clearly, it goes right over your head. The spelling is "theatre" in these parts. The fact that you haven't heard of him is a reflection on you rather than on those who appreciate his importance.
Oh Meow :) Look how precious they are about the spelling of the word even. As I said, I have zero interest in Theatre (Theater) and it is of little or no importance to most people apart from the self important few

TakeitAll

Anyone familiar with the Sawdoctors would have heard of him
[video=youtube;TPzEkY3G-Fc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPzEkY3G-Fc[/video]
He was as important as any Irish playwright of the late 19th or early 20th century, who may not have been appreciated in their own time either.
Nope first time I heard that song from Saw Doctors and yes I know who they are and would be familiar with some of their songs.

TakeitAll

Tom Murphy was born in Tuam, far from your so-called "D4 bubble"

He worked a lot with the Druid Theatre---a West of Ireland company that was set up to move theatre outside the "D4 bubble"

It's founders, Gary Hynes and Marie Mullen were from Ballaghadereen and Ballymote, respectively

They won Tony awards on Broadway
Bully for them. I am sure to them and a few in the Arts community that is important but don't try to push that onto others or sneer on those who don't give a hoot about it and have other interests.

Lonewolfe

Bully for them. I am sure to them and a few in the Arts community that is important but don't try to push that onto others or sneer on those who don't give a hoot about it and have other interests.
I don't think anyone is sneering at you or shoving it down your throat. You never heard of him and you're not into the arts - that's fine - but for some reason you've come on to a thread about the man's passing to tell everyone how unimportant and unknown he was.

Lonewolfe

not really, his plays were a blinding success in ? ehh, well , ehh, oh that's right, bubble land,

I do think he was important but just not that important, a blind man could see the CC control over Irish people was to be challenged and exposed, it's the "soft - fake news" RTE's LEVEL of promoting huge amounts of time to his death is my problem, it clearly shows RTE / Higgins etc as atheists (while Zappone is flying in thousands of muslims on our money) as hypocritical,

Why on earth are we watching hypocrites promoting an atheist playwrite (no problem with atheists what so ever, pretty much leaning that way anyway) while RTE in the same broadcast give Hamas scum a free advert ?

It RTE I am most annoyed with, they simply are not fit for the job, time for a referendum,, do we want to pay 160 yoyos a year for D4 bubble latte liberals to spew their sh1te or not ?
Bud, the anger you are carrying ca't be healthy for you.

TakeitAll

I don't think anyone is sneering at you or shoving it down your throat. You never heard of him and you're not into the arts - that's fine - but for some reason you've come on to a thread about the man's passing to tell everyone how unimportant and unknown he was.
I didn't say he was not important, am sure to his family, friend's and few Arty folk he will be missed. I was commenting more on it being a bit OTT reporting on his passing. Many will never have heard of him and this happens a lot where it is assumed that some group thinks something is a way more important than it is. Why not just have a death notice thread...all are equal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies