• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Tom Parlon: Ireland would ruin its credibility internationally...

HanleyS

Tom Parlon should be tried for treason for putting the interests of CIF members ahead of this country. It is his members and their cronies who have destroyed this country and it's reputation in the world. He's a distgustingly grubby little chancer who deserves to be up there with Charlie Haughey, Bertie Ahern, Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke, etc. in the list of traitors who disserviced this country.

Investment in capital vital, construction group says - The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 10, 2009

I'm giving you positive rep for the first seven words alone. The man who provoked the PDs climbdown from their threat to withdraw from government when Ahern was in pre-election doo-dah over the Tribunal (Harney, McDowell, and O'Donnell were apparently ready to walk) because of his need for FF transfers, thus precipitating the complete destruction of the Party. He then waltzes off from the wreckage to be with his friends in the cement-mixing business, leaving McDowell to take the blame and others to clean up the mess. Why anyone would listen to a word this specimen ever comes out with is beyond me...

Pauli

I'm giving you positive rep for the first seven words alone. The man who provoked the PDs climbdown from their threat to withdraw from government when Ahern was in pre-election doo-dah over the Tribunal (Harney, McDowell, and O'Donnell were apparently ready to walk) because of his need for FF transfers, thus precipitating the complete destruction of the Party. He then waltzes off from the wreckage to be with his friends in the cement-mixing business, leaving McDowell to take the blame and others to clean up the mess. Why anyone would listen to a word this specimen ever comes out with is beyond me...
While I agree with most of what you say, TA, his role in the destruction of the PDs, however unintended, is his only saving grace. Anybody who contributed to the destruction of the PDs deserves credit.

blacbloc

While I agree with most of what you say, TA, his role in the destruction of the PDs, however unintended, is his only saving grace. Anybody who contributed to the destruction of the PDs deserves credit.
There's something in what you say Pauli. However the PDs are far from dead - they have simply relocated to positions in management consultancies, IBEC and the like from where they actually get to control government much more influentially and effectively (for the interests they serve) than they ever could or would as mere elected representatives. Such is the state of 'democracy' in Ireland. The entire response to the economic crisis is an IBEC/PD-led neo-con assault on the public sector and the prciniple of serving our collective interest. In The Shock Doctrine, Naomi Klein warned about this - the covert use of crises as opportnities to usher in far right economic policies.

HanleyS

Builders demand raft of measures to save industry - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
Why should the CIF be given four hours of our ministers valuable time? What other lobby group would have such unprecedented access to our government? Tom Parlon and his ilk should have the good manners to p1ss off to the middle east, the former USSR or anywhere but Ireland after what they have done to this country. There is no question that any government representative should be meeting this scumbag this evening.

Digout

This man is a p.rick of the highest order. Every scheme introduced so far has failed, so will any more. Here has already been written off by people with half a brain.

mollox

Builders demand raft of measures to save industry - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie
Why should the CIF be given four hours of our ministers valuable time? What other lobby group would have such unprecedented access to our government? Tom Parlon and his ilk should have the good manners to p1ss off to the middle east, the former USSR or anywhere but Ireland after what they have done to this country. There is no question that any government representative should be meeting this scumbag this evening.
This is precisely the kind of small minded crap that will keep us in recession. The burning desire for retribution rather than resolution.

A case of "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" as the old saying goes.

It's exactly the kind of thinking I was challenging here. http://www.politics.ie/economy/51789-our-grudges-likely-hold-us-back.html

HanleyS

Tom wants the government to give people more money to spend on housing at the same time that there is a huge budget deficit. This money that Tom wants taken directly out of our pockets and given directly to his members. This money will provide no tangible benefit to the wider economy from what I can see. All I can say is WTF?!?!?

G

Gimpanzee

Man representing organisation wants money for its members. What would you expect him to say? How is it any different from there whitterings from Liberty Hall?

Much as I dislike Parlon, he's been in the CIF for 2 years - basically since things started going downhill for the construction industry. Lumping him in with Bertie, Charlie and co is over the top. He's in Jack O'Connors league - an irritant who can't afford to be indulged.

Magellan

So Parlon wants the Government to give taxpayers money on a 20 year loan guarantee to a group of businesses who can't even pay back interest on their current assets?

Laughable stuff! Unfortunately, this being Ireland, he'll probably get something. But a €5,000 grant to FTB's won't be enough to kickstart the market Tom.

How about your members knock another 30%-40% extra of the price of new builds?

God helps those that help themselves, Tom.

Middleaged

Eventhough I have never met the man, there is something about him that I know I would dislike.

He gives an impression that he would sell his mother,wife,children just to satisfy HIS needs or HIS MEMBERS needs.

Well he had good training with the IFA, they can be really pragmatic group them........

Does he recieve a state pension?

Dillinger

I used to work in the building game, but then a chose a different path, my reasons were simple, I wanted to settle down. With the building game, you have to move with the work. Just as the Irish did during the 80's/90's. Many friends of mine started in Ireland, and then moved to the UK, then around 1991, they all moved to Germany, Belgium, Holland, some are now in Dubai, others got out because they wanted a settled life. That is the nature of the building game, and of these guys cannot get that through their thick skulls, then it is no wonder this country is insolvent. Large scale building programs in any part of the world, only have a certain lifespan, then its up sticks and onto the next country or continent. If you do not like this lifestyle, then do not enter this game, no sob stories, or looking for handouts, you follow the work.

HanleyS

He also wants us to forego a large chunk of the tax on his members sales. I'm sure all businesses would love to see a cut in vat but it's not going to happen when we have a budget deficit. Why does he think that the builders are special? No government money should be going into property development. None. Capital spending may have some benefits but residential and commercial developers should be left to sink or swim the same as anybody else.

Hazlitt

Good post, I'm glad to see some public anger directed at special interests who are lobbying our government for "protection" at the expense and to the detriment of our economy.

Mr Parlon said the construction industry was already in freefall.
The number of construction companies/developers would never have been at the level it was if not for the construction bubble, fueled by cheap and easy credit. It needs to be in freefall. We need the fat to be sucked out of the sector.

And he said Ireland would ruin its credibility internationally if the Dublin Metro project did not go ahead.
Nonsense. For starters he is not looking out for Ireland's credibility. He's looking out for the interests of his members. The Irish people are not stupid. We know damn well the motives behind his comments.

Gussie

I think he doesn't go far enough in his rational request for the taxpayer to dig a little deeper. We should, as patriotic Irishmen, recognise the need for an urgent re-inflation of the construction bubble, which would, at a stroke, restore our battered international image, rescue the country from the jaws of economic catastrophe, fire up the engines of commerce and industry and deliver us from this awful situation.

He should also have recommended that we all wear funny hats. That might give the international investers an even bigger laugh.

Victor Meldrew

"And he said Ireland would ruin its credibility internationally if the Dublin Metro project did not go ahead"

Priceless, After Anglo Irish bank lending cash to prop up it's share price, Our Financial regulator saying "Fair play to you" for cooking Anglo's books and our government's inability to make a budget stick, do you think that any foreign investor will give a flying about the lack of a Metro????

Self satire .....

zxcv09

For the next general election, the opposition should make some posters of Biffo and BL with the head bankers, Tom and Social Partners behind them. Then the slogan should read, "Do you think FF will listen to you the voter or THEM".

jpc

Tom has been behind the curve in everthing he's turned his hand to.
He was the front man for decentralisation and the attendant building spree..
Doing his best now to be seen to do something for the CIF.
How much longer is his job safe for?.
I would think influence within goverment was his main selling point.
What is that influence worth now?

Last edited:

Swingingdoor

powderfinger

Tom Parlon should be tried for treason for putting the interests of CIF members ahead of this country. It is his members and their cronies who have destroyed this country and it's reputation in the world. He's a distgustingly grubby little chancer who deserves to be up there with Charlie Haughey, Bertie Ahern, Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke, etc. in the list of traitors who disserviced this country.

Investment in capital vital, construction group says - The Irish Times - Tue, Mar 10, 2009
Parlon inhaled the old irrational exuberance ,and blew into the bubble big time.
Parlon's Mountjoy claims met with disbelief: ThePost.ie

Parlon's Mountjoy claims met with disbelief
15 January 2006 By Neil Callanan

Property sources have reacted with incredulity to claims that the Mountjoy prison complex was potentially worth up to €100 million an acre. The claim was made by Tom Parlon, junior minister at the Department of Finance, who has responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW).

Last week, the OPW announced that it was seeking tenders for a services contract for the redevelopment of the prison complex, which is on the North Circular Road. It is looking for architectural services for master-planning, urban design and building conservation.

It is also seeking engineering services, quantity surveying and planning and waste management consultants. It will also require an Environmental Impact Assessment, which is to be submitted with the planning application.

"He's taken Ballsbridge figures and applied them to Dublin 7," said one development land source. "He doesn't have a clue."

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies