Tonight with Vincent Browne 06/12/10

DownTheyGo

It will get sold along with everything else of any significant value towards 'as the deal states' "pay down debt" ... there you have it ladies and gents; a future of asset stripping by overseas interests.

Abaddon

Is SF going to take this govt to court as regards the bail out being unconstitutional?
I don't know. It's an absolutely rotten deal for this country. I do think a better deal could have been gotten but Ireland would have still been laden with an enormous debt.

Abaddon

Coillte is a profitable company. I see no reason to sell it to a private company
The same reason you would sell any profitable company.

To capitalise the potential earnings, transfer risk and put the money in the bank.
There isn't much risk in growing trees and selling the timber. If you take a longer view it's worth much more to us the public than a quick sale.

As for putting the money into a bank........

Lord Wellington

There isn't much risk in growing trees and selling the timber. If you take a longer view it's worth much more to us the public than a quick sale.

As for putting the money into a bank........
"There isn't much risk in growing trees"

Your expertise in risk is in great demand in Israel just abut now.

YouTube - Dramatic video of Israel fighting worst fire in history, at least 40 killed

"As for putting the money into a bank"

Choose your bank wisely.

"and selling the timber"

And what type of timber would that be?

Most of it is just pulp.

SKELLY

YouTube - Dramatic video of Israel fighting worst fire in history, at least 40 killed

Choose your bank wisely.

"and selling the timber"

Most of it is just pulp.
you couldnt be more wrong!

coillte investment yields between 5% to 7% TAX FREE

Coillte has also reported a profit in double digits for most of this decade.

Its actually quite a sound and safe investment.

Lord Wellington

you couldnt be more wrong!

coillte investment yields between 5% to 7% TAX FREE

Coillte has also reported a profit in double digits for most of this decade.

Its actually quite a sound and safe investment.

I don't think I said otherwise.

Did I?

derm0t

Why do people keep saying "we", when they really should say "they"(Fianna Fáil)?

As in: "we made a mess of the economy", when it should be "they made a mess of the economy".
It's a piece of misdirection called "Identification". The following clip should be in your top-10 youtube bookmarks:

YouTube - Derrick Jensen on Identification

You see it a LOT. The use of the Collective (as opposed to the Royal) "We". It slides the premise of collective guilt past the audience, unnoticed. The rest of the debate occurs within the Frame of "We're all to Blame".

It's particularly insidious in the Irish context, because it feeds off the Catholic Guilt Program. That old Fortran code still runs surprisingly well.

:cool:

Abaddon

Your right, Ireland's forest fires are legendary.

Something like Dutch Elms Disease would have been a better reply.

Choose your bank wisely.
Do you think the IMF\ECB will give you a choice of putting it in a bank or paying off their banks?

"and selling the timber"

Most of it is just pulp.
Somebodies buying the timber\pulp. An Coillte have regularly been turning a profit for years now.

Is that the best you can come up with as a rebuttal? At least put a bit of effort in if you want me to reply to any more of your posts. It's a discussion I'm looking for not a b!tching match.

Lord Wellington

Your right, Ireland's forest fires are legendary.

Something like Dutch Elms Disease would have been a better reply.

Do you think the IMF\ECB will give you a choice of putting it in a bank or paying off their banks?

Somebodies buying the timber\pulp. An Coillte have regularly been turning a profit for years now.

Is that the best you can come up with as a rebuttal? At least put a bit of effort in if you want me to reply to any more of your posts. It's a discussion I'm looking for not a b!tching match.

"Your right, Ireland's forest fires are legendary."

Actually they are not.

That is why they had to ask for firefighters from all across Europe.

However. I think you take me a little literal.

There is risk in all investment.

To think otherwise is to misunderstand investment.

"Do you think the IMF\ECB will give you a choice of putting it in a bank or paying off their banks?"

I imagine they would not.

As a matter of interest, why do you think the IMF/ECB would have some say in the matter?

Both are bankrupt banks are they not?

"Somebodies buying the timber\pulp. An Coillte have regularly been turning a profit for years now."

At least you admit it's plup.

How do you define profit?

"It's a discussion I'm looking for not a b!tching match"

Well excuse meeeeeeeeee.

hiding behind a poster

Coillte is a profitable company. I see no reason to sell it to a private company so that they can then take the profit from it when that very same profit would be better off going into this country's pocket.

What advantage is there in selling Coillte?
I didn't say there was an advantage - though obviously if its profitable, you could get a good price for it. Its like selling anything, if you think what you're being offered is more than its worth, then its worth considering. The point I was making, though, is whether or not Coillte is a strategic asset?

Lord Wellington

I didn't say there was an advantage - though obviously if its profitable, you could get a good price for it. Its like selling anything, if you think what you're being offered is more than its worth, then its worth considering. The point I was making, though, is whether or not Coillte is a strategic asset?

It's not the plup growing on the land.

It's the land.

Abaddon

I see the point your making when comparing Coillte to our electrical grid but we could define strategic in a number of ways. For example we could consider Coillte strategic in the off setting of our carbon emissions or generating a steady income for the state. I know I'm not being completely accurate here but you see how a state asset could be defined in a number of ways.

If we sold Coillte for, lets say, 100 million and took the money we'd be up that amount of cash but if we take a longer view and held on to it we could still make a 100 million over time and still own this asset and it would still generate profit for the country.

I just don't see the logic in selling something that's generating a steady profit.

TonyBird

Vinnie+technology=hilarious:)

There is a series there somewhere . Vinny discovers the wonders of technology.
Episode one ; VB vs Pac man. It would be classic TV :D:D

Right is right

I see the point your making when comparing Coillte to our electrical grid but we could define strategic in a number of ways. For example we could consider Coillte strategic in the off setting of our carbon emissions or generating a steady income for the state. I know I'm not being completely accurate here but you see how a state asset could be defined in a number of ways.

If we sold Coillte for, lets say, 100 million and took the money we'd be up that amount of cash but if we take a longer view and held on to it we could still make a 100 million over time and still own this asset and it would still generate profit for the country.

I just don't see the logic in selling something that's generating a steady profit.
Coillte made 4m profit last year on Balance Sheet valued at 1.4bn (included in that 4m profit was a 18m extraordinary profit so in effect they lost nearly 14m in trading activities)

If we sold Coillte for example for 500m and used it to avoid borrowing 500m we would save ourselves about 25-30m a year in interest payments which is more than we are likely to earn in profits from Coillte.

or if we invested the 500m in new-era technology business and took people off the dole we would save money also for example and build another profitable business

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies