TONIGHT with Vincent Browne, Mon 3 Apr 2017, Tues, Thurs @ 11pm

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
TONIGHT with Vincent Browne, Mon 3 Apr 2017, Tues, Thurs @ 11pm

A current affairs programme from an alternative perspective, focusing on issues of income and inequality,
as well as seeking to hold institutions and powerful people to account.

Monday 3 Apr
Are journalists in Ireland cynical, or is a healthy skepticism crucial to the media effectively carrying out its job?,Journalistic privilege looks set to become central to the Disclosure Tribunal, but can a tribunal decide what was off the record?

Joining us are Justine McCarthy of the Sunday Times, @harrymcgee, Andrea Martin and @Seamusdo

Looking after your texts, emails and tweets tonight will be @ShaneBeattyKFM

Tuesday 4 Apr [starts post #22]
The National Women's football team highlight incredible inequality.
We'll be joined by @mariecrowe and Ollie Cahill

In the Dail today TD's debated Bus Eireann, Garda Reform and Tracker Mortgages.
We'll be joined for our political panel by @JanOSullivanTD Mary Regan @lichamber and @martinconwayfg

For papers we'll be joined by @cardagh @1GaryGannon

And @gavreilly will be looking at your texts tweets and emails.

Wednesday 5 Apr [starts post #]
Pat Kenny Tonight is listed on the tv3 schedules for 10pm, with no #vinb.

Thursday 6 Apr [starts post #]
I'll be up in the air [just like Vincent] when the show is shown, on my way home to the aul' sod. I've asked for my broadband to be re-connected by my old service provider, but it might take some time. I may not have it by Monday 10th, so if that happens and yis don't hear from me, yis can set up a thread yourselves, or carry on with this one. Whichever suits.

Previous TONIGHT thread: http://www.politics.ie/forum/backstage/255576-tonight-vincent-browne-mon-27-mar-2017-tues-thurs-11pm.html

tv3 catch-up through: Catch-up TV, Entertainment, News, Sport, Soaps and all your favourite Irish and International shows from TV3

Expected popcorn rating:

Housekeeping for every night when I‘m busy ... here are the links which should get you
the tv3 schedules …
TV3 - TV Guide
the papers ...
Broadsheet.ie
and the tweets ...
https://twitter.com/search?q=#vinb&src=typd
This is also the link to get info on tonight’s show.

Trolleywatch https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

Last edited:

Dorcha

Nice to be able to set my bookmark early.

A better question to ask would be whether journalists are truly independent, and whether they allow their own personal opinions to colour their reporting.

zippo222

The columnists seem to write for their fellow columnists. Ever notice on the Finucane programmes at the weekends, how all the columnists are name checked as making brilliant points. No matter what the news item they are discussing, so-and-so at such a paper has already nailed it. And somebody on another paper has too, but even better.

Dorcha

VB asks whether Journalists cause cynicism about politicians. Justine begins to say no, so VB has to change tack and say (more or less) that it's politicians who cause cynicism about politicians.
Harry McGee thinks that journalists concentrate too much on politician's expenses to the exclusion of "important" matters like global warming.

Dorcha

I think VB’s idea of a shorter Government term and a shorter political life for politicians is a good one in that it might dilute the power of the parties slightly and do away with the blight of career politicians. However Hell will freeze over before that is allowed to happen.

Dorcha

Earlier VB said that no one could tell the motives of politicians in putting themselves forward for office. If one watches them and listen to their utterances and examine their voting patterns, it is possible to be able to tell their motives within one year.

Dorcha

Justine says that the foremost job of journalists is to tell the truth. If they report what politicians say, what guarantee do they have that they are reporting the truth?

an innocent abroad

The columnists seem to write for their fellow columnists. Ever notice on the Finucane programmes at the weekends, how all the columnists are name checked as making brilliant points. No matter what the news item they are discussing, so-and-so at such a paper has already nailed it. And somebody on another paper has too, but even better.
Sure isn't everybody a "Columnist"...Everybody on Pie.ie is a "Columnist if it's just about opinions. ?.

But since decent investigate journalist do not exist in IRL,.

Dorcha

Journalistic privilege: should the source be disclosed where it is proved that the source is deliberately providing false information.

an innocent abroad

Too many journalist allow themselves to be used by those in politics and those in power to be used and manipulated for the story!!!!

Northsideman

Too many journalist allow themselves to be used by those in politics and those in power to be used and manipulated for the story!!!!
Hiĺlsborough was a perfect example of this and the way the Sun journalists conspired to do good folk down, it happens here also.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Journalists are like fleas, they hop about a lot, but draw very little blood....:rolleyes:

New Threads

Most Replies