Too many politicians in Ireland

Bertie's Hat

For a small country of 4.5 million people we have an awful lot of councillors and members of the Oireachtas. Many of whom don't seem to achieve much.

I also wonder how much value all of our MEPs add in Europe.

If the size of the Dail was slashed by a third, would we really be worse off?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

michael-mcivor

For a small country of 4.5 million people we have an awful lot of councillors and members of the Oireachtas. Many of whom don't seem to achieve much.

4.5 million in Ireland- was near 2 million killed of today-
We get who we elect- you don’t like it organise and do something about it- there was a war in the early 80s in the six and a lot did not like politics then so local people worked at it hard themselves got beat up themselves got shot themselves got themselves the biggest party in the 32 now- Sinn Fein- the people done the work themselves-

PBP voter

Agree with it all.

However Turkeys don't vote for Xmas.

SF and FF want to bring back town council's. ************************************g thunder************************s.

Also the public had a chance to get rid of all the sennators but messed it up.

Spirit Of Newgrange

just one big scary fecker with a kalashnikov. there, that should sort things out.

fifilawe

we need about 250 TDs ,300 senators, 5,000 local councillors just to keep the show on the road.Just cut the salaries in half and increase the amount of time they spend in the Oireachtas , local council offices.A set period of govt 4 years,Elections to be held on the first Friday in May.Even if a Govt loses vote of confidence midway through term , the election must still be held on first friday in May.The constitution must be amended to enact this law.It would cut out the crap about quick elections and it would not give the executive the power to call an election at their whim.

gleeful

This old argument.

Ireland has more national politicians than, say, India. If we had the same ratio of MPs to citizens as India we'd have 1.8 members of parliament.

Maybe thats the ideal ratio.

Strawberry

This old argument.

Ireland has more national politicians than, say, India. If we had the same ratio of MPs to citizens as India we'd have 1.8 members of parliament.

Maybe thats the ideal ratio.
So just Michael Healy Rae and 0.8% of Danny then.

Watcher2

you could slash it more than a third i'd say.

shiel

We got a chance to get rid of the Seanad.

But media decided to keep it as a talking shop for the inner circle and their cronies.

neiphin

gleeful

We got a chance to get rid of the Seanad.

But media decided to keep it as a talking shop for the inner circle and their cronies.
The voters decided to keep it (I voted to scrap it, for the record)

fat finger

Good point, it was calculated a few years ago if America had the same representation per population size, there would be 16,000 congress people and senators, makes you realise what huge cost savings we could achieve here by slashing government jobs and pensions

neiphin

gleeful

We currently spend .0064% of GDP on TD salaries (combined). That is 6 cent per citizen per week.

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

We need more and better paid politicians. The Taoiseach should be paid €900k/year and every TD €250/k. With bonuses for GDP growth and social factors like eliminating homelessness, improving HSE waiting lists, and solving the housing crisis.

Take Google. Ireland Inc has a GDP 3 times larger than Google's annual global revenue. Google's board gets paid 300 times more per year than the Irish government ministers.

If you were a top level exec, do you go into politics or into the corporate world? Don't pretend this isn't a single talent market place.

Last edited:

Lord Talbot

If Ireland was a normal, sane country it could manage with a unicameral parliament of 100 members max.

But its not. Its a messy tribal melange.

peader odonnell

And it looks as if our councillors are getting yet another pay rise!.

Watcher2

We currently spend .0064% of GDP on TD salaries (combined). That is 6 cent per citizen per week.

We need more and better paid politicians. The Taoiseach should be paid €900k/year and every TD €250/k. With bonuses for GDP growth and social factors like eliminating homelessness, improving HSE waiting lists, and solving the housing crisis.

Take Google. Ireland Inc has a GDP 3 times larger than Google's annual global revenue. Google's board gets paid 300 times more per year than the Irish government ministers.

If you were a top level exec, do you go into politics or into the corporate world? Don't pretend this isn't a single talent market place.
This actually reads as a p1ss take, but I'll respond as though it's serious. Google, your example, use comparators to set wage levels. Let's go along the same lines and take population size as one of the main variables to set pay levels of politicians once we compare overall pay levels.

Now that would be interesting.

Interesting you mentioned peanuts and monkeys. Pre recession, our politicians were among the best paid in the world. We all know how that turned out.

gleeful

This actually reads as a p1ss take, but I'll respond as though it's serious. Google, your example, use comparators to set wage levels. Let's go along the same lines and take population size as one of the main variables to set pay levels of politicians once we compare overall pay levels.

Now that would be interesting.

Interesting you mentioned peanuts and monkeys. Pre recession, our politicians were among the best paid in the world. We all know how that turned out.
Politicians are paid too little globally, when compared with the private sector. The result is the people willing to become politicians are either too inept to become private sector top level management, or deranged or corrupt. If we want good people to enter politics we have to pay them competitively.

johnnypockets

I would be very surprised if most TDs are not getting paid 250k.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies