Too many politicians in Ireland

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I heard there was a Councillor elected out in the sticks one year on the basis of one vote.

His opponent called for a re-count.

devoutcapitalist

Our TDs are strangely silent on how many of them should be deleted in the next election. Funny that
Turkeys and Christmas come to mind:D

A number of years ago Noel Dempsey as Minister for the Environment and Local Government wanted to reduce the number of TDS to 120 from 166, not surprisingly there was huge opposition.

Watcher2

Politicians are paid too little globally, when compared with the private sector. The result is the people willing to become politicians are either too inept to become private sector top level management, or deranged or corrupt. If we want good people to enter politics we have to pay them competitively.
Like I said, ours were paid the most of any politician pre-crisis. Again, as I said, we all know what happened. I see HBAP liked your post. Of course he did.

Watcher2

Why would you use population size as a comparator? Policy doesn't become easier or harder to do depending on the number of people in a country.
Because its the people you are "supposed" to be serving. Obviously there would need to be a floor, but after that, I don't see why you shouldn't use population size.

We are hugely over represented by elected officials between the Dail, the Seanad and local councils. Its ridiculous.

Watcher2

A majority of people who voted in 2013 wanted to keep the Seanad. Regarding the number of TDS we only need 100-110 TDS max.
Its likely a bauk at the alternative to the Seanad. Wasn't it going to put more power in the hands of our TD's?

artfoley56

For a small country of 4.5 million people we have an awful lot of councillors and members of the Oireachtas. Many of whom don't seem to achieve much.

I also wonder how much value all of our MEPs add in Europe.

If the size of the Dail was slashed by a third, would we really be worse off?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
loads of politicians, ************************ all statesmen/women

Barroso

This old argument.

Ireland has more national politicians than, say, India. If we had the same ratio of MPs to citizens as India we'd have 1.8 members of parliament.

Maybe thats the ideal ratio.
From wikipedia:
Members of the lower house of the Indian Parliament (Lok Sabha) were elected in the Indian general election, 2014 held in April–May 2014. The total strength of the 16th Lok Sabha is 545, against the approved strength of 552.
If you're going to lie, just check out whether a quick glance at Wikipedia will show you up.

sic transit

It's less the numbers than the savings and efficiencies that accrue. Ms Munster is moaning because Drogheda is now just an adjunct of Louth CC. No harm TBH as it keeps the tiresome public reps off the back of the Council. On the initial OP I notice nobody has mentioned the thorny issue of the Constitution and that to alter the ratio would require us to vote on it. Can't see anyone ever putting that before the people without us suspecting they're pulling a fast one!

General Urko

More Accurately The Thread should be called 'Too Many Gobshyte Politicians In Ireland'

Our political class are mostly stomach churning filth in the game to enrich themselves through massive salaries, perks, unbelievable pensions and getting their own family members in to suck of the national tit as well!
And let alone that, many have behaved in a treacherous fashion against Ordinary Irish People!

hiding behind a poster

It's not just about how much we could save, though that's important.

It's also the satisfaction of booting out a heap of these freeloading, corrupt charlatans from the incestuous nest of privilege they have made for themselves.
Like who?

There is a whole heap of FGers would not be missed from public life, and some downright bad bastards among them.
They get elected, don't they? You've the right to vote against them, but not to disrespect the democratic choice made by others.

Roberto Jordan

We currently spend .0064% of GDP on TD salaries (combined). That is 6 cent per citizen per week.

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

We need more and better paid politicians. The Taoiseach should be paid €900k/year and every TD €250/k. With bonuses for GDP growth and social factors like eliminating homelessness, improving HSE waiting lists, and solving the housing crisis.

Take Google. Ireland Inc has a GDP 3 times larger than Google's annual global revenue. Google's board gets paid 300 times more per year than the Irish government ministers.

If you were a top level exec, do you go into politics or into the corporate world? Don't pretend this isn't a single talent market place.
That’s a really silly comparison. GDP is not revenue, it’s more like a measure of consumer wealth. Further, government income is relatively in elastic compared to corporate revenues by virtue of legal writ and also the reality of how little Amy economy, even in extremes circumstances will expand or contract.
Furthermore polictians are rather like non executive directors, the public service are the equivalent of executives in a corporation and paid pretty well once pension and termite are factored in....politicians are generally over paid of one assumes their only job is to scrutinize and review.
I wouldn’t argue to pay them less , but I do think Ireland has too many at a national level.

hiding behind a poster

Does anyone really think that those who write the rules to suit themselves, would ever change things for the good of the country or the people. They actually believe that they are needed. 2011 GE was the time for serious change in gov and mindset....and what did we get, Enda. I do not see the chance ever happening again.
We voted for Enda. Trouble is, as was shown repeatedly during the crisis years, that as a people we're mad keen on all sorts of reforms, right up until we're told they'll involve change.

hiding behind a poster

I heard there was a Councillor elected out in the sticks one year on the basis of one vote.

His opponent called for a re-count.
Definition of failure in politics = getting fewer votes than you have adult family members.

Roberto Jordan

Politicians are paid too little globally, when compared with the private sector. The result is the people willing to become politicians are either too inept to become private sector top level management, or deranged or corrupt. If we want good people to enter politics we have to pay them competitively.
There is an issue with who seeks to gain elective office. But I don’t Absolute salary is problem.its the risk for anyone who is a steady middle class job. I think it should be legally enshrined that employees are allowed take leave of absence to seek public office and compensation for first term of office Should be paid by public purse for duration of first term in office If successful.

There is Afros deficit in the Dáil, for example, of anyone who was actually a member of the PAYE managerial class I.e. the folk who
Actually have an education , and not just I. Law or teaching or
Medicine, and keep the country movimg. This is replicated In other jurisdictions also.

hiding behind a poster

Because once you leave Dublin, you enter a different world, where Ennis/Nenagh/Tullamore/insert name of town as appropriate, has always had a TD, and if those power-hungry b*stards in Dublin get their way, Ennis/Nenagh/Tullamore/insert name of town as appropriate, will never have a TD ever again, and that's exactly what those power-hungry b*stards in Dublin want to do to Ennis/Nenagh/Tullamore/insert name of town as appropriate.

I know rural politics. I know how it works. I know how and why people vote the way they do, and down the country having a TD from the area is a huge part of it. The campaign would be led and fomented by TDs, councillors, their ambitious successors, and "independent" surrogates/concerned local citizens - and rural Ireland will just lap it up. Believe me - if you can convince a majority that removing a useless chamber like the Seanad is a "power grab", the campaign I'm talking about would be a great big piece of cake.

hiding behind a poster

Because its the people you are "supposed" to be serving. Obviously there would need to be a floor, but after that, I don't see why you shouldn't use population size.

We are hugely over represented by elected officials between the Dail, the Seanad and local councils. Its ridiculous.
You've missed my point. A minister's job is to devise and implement policy - that doesn't become either easier or harder depending on the number of people in the country. He's not an administrator calculating payslips in the health service, or devising bus timetables, or suchlike.

hiding behind a poster

Its likely a bauk at the alternative to the Seanad. Wasn't it going to put more power in the hands of our TD's?
How could it? What powers does the Seanad have that would go to TDs if it weren't there?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom