• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Top 10 films of 2012?

Little_Korean

The Master. Not because it was a particularly great film ('cos it isn't by that much) but because stray bits and lines have continued to pop up in my head since, and if that is not the mark of a great film, then what is?

Silver Linings Playbook.

Untouchable. Not a huge fan of French films in general - very much the exception here.

Resident Evil: Retribution. The series that just keeps on giving. (Underworld being another terrinble-but-fun franchise series)

Prometheus, and never mind the fanbou complaints that it didn't exactly tie in with the orginal.

The Dark Knight Rises...I mean, d'uh.

Dredd. I put it here because it's the law. I mean, he is the law. Even if it was very similar to...

The Raid. One helluva action film.

Not a lot of horror films on my list as I think the crop this year was quite poor but The Cabin in the Woods was incredibly clever and imaginative.

The Incredible Spiderman. Because I like superhero films in general.

I would have included Les Miserables but I tend to consider films released in the Christmas holidays as beloning to the following year.

R3volution_R3ady

Resident Evil as one of the top films of 2012?

Christ, I've entered an alternative universe. Either that or the movie industry is well and truly on it's last legs.

Aristodemus

Argo was, by a long way, the best film of 2012

Riadach

Oddly, no. Too long, too dull. The box office disagrees with me, I know.
I dunno, I didn't feel the length in the cinema at all. I thought the writing was perfect, but that is to be expected from Mr. Whedon.

topcat4

Looper was a great film, I like sci fi, and this was a brilliant premise for a sci fi movie.

The Owl

Isn't it well for youse lot can afford to go to the cinema and me starving to death. And I had to give up Sky and get that Saorview box in so now I'm having a great time watching movies that were made before I was born, oh, and watching that Chuck Norris fellow in Texas Ranger. How old is that? He batters people by kick boxing and then they get up and have another go. I have great fun watching it. And the old Star Trek, brilliant and Voyager. Ah, the joys of living in the past.

The last time I actually went to a cinema was when that Dan Brown film "The Da Vinci Code" came out. It was woeful, but a friend took me and I had to pretend to him that I thought it was wonderful. How long ago was that?

borntorum

The Master - didn't deserve the hyperbolic praise in some quarters, equally didn't deserve to be dismissed as boring w@nk by others. I agree with the OPer that it stayed with you.

Rust and Bone

Argo

Skyfall was decent (except for the last bit), The Dark Knight Rises was overlong and overly po-faced

What Richard Did

Martha Marcy May Marlene

The Hunger Games was rubbish and a waste of two hours of my life

Sister Mercedes

Skyfall was my big disappointment of the year. Craig is my favorite Bond, I love Judi Dench, Adele, etc. But the movie was far too long, there was far too much M (which left no room for a Bond Girl) and the Scottish part was just silly.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Isn't it well for youse lot can afford to go to the cinema and me starving to death. And I had to give up Sky and get that Saorview box in so now I'm having a great time watching movies that were made before I was born, oh, and watching that Chuck Norris fellow in Texas Ranger. How old is that? He batters people by kick boxing and then they get up and have another go. I have great fun watching it. And the old Star Trek, brilliant and Voyager. Ah, the joys of living in the past.

The last time I actually went to a cinema was when that Dan Brown film "The Da Vinci Code" came out. It was woeful, but a friend took me and I had to pretend to him that I thought it was wonderful. How long ago was that?
shssh you could watch them all on z movie but as its illegal i would nt advise it

sethjem7

Argo was great, I had to get a ticket to see the product - a bit like Argos.

Tin Foil Hat

I don't get the opportunity to go to the cinema much anymore. Two small offspring will have that effect on ya.
By the looks of most of the movies mentioned, though, I'm not missing much. Superheroes and sequels. The cinematic equivalent of the children's jingles that pass for music on daytime radio. Meh!

Ribeye

Skyfall was my big disappointment of the year. Craig is my favorite Bond, I love Judi Dench, Adele, etc. But the movie was far too long, there was far too much M (which left no room for a Bond Girl) and the Scottish part was just silly.
Agreed, I wouldn't usually go to the cinema to watch a bond movie but was bribed into going to Skyfall,

Worst bond movie ever, utterly ridiculous storyline, and mindnumbingly boring,

I actually fell asleep 3/4 of the way through, I'm serious, fell asleep,

The Dark Knight Rises takes the prize for me,

And a special mention goes to The Hunger Games,

Avoid 7 Psychopaths, it's just meh,

Truth.ie

"The girl with the Dragon Tattoo" with Daniel Craig.
I didn't read the book, (as I assumed it was girly novel) so was pleasantly surprised by the movie.
"The Ides of March" with George Clooney was a good political movie.
Best Movie for me however, was "The Conspirator" directed by Robert Redford, and based on the trial of the Lincoln conspirators.
Was a pretty poor year for movies, (I'm more a drama/historical buff myself).
Great year if you like sci-fi/mediocre comedies.

Little_Korean

Martha Marcy May Marlene
Ah, I had forgotten all about that one.

Not sure if it'd be in my top 10 of 2012 list but it definitey kept you guessing as to what was going to happen (and even by the end, still guessing).

borntorum

Ah, I had forgotten all about that one.

Not sure if it'd be in my top 10 of 2012 list but it definitey kept you guessing as to what was going to happen (and even by the end, still guessing).
And Elizabeth Olson has great boobs. Just sayin'.

Sister Mercedes

Agreed, I wouldn't usually go to the cinema to watch a bond movie but was bribed into going to Skyfall,

Worst bond movie ever, utterly ridiculous storyline, and mindnumbingly boring,

I actually fell asleep 3/4 of the way through, I'm serious, fell asleep,

The Dark Knight Rises takes the prize for me,

And a special mention goes to The Hunger Games,

Avoid 7 Psychopaths, it's just meh,
I didn't enjoy The Dark Knight Rises. Perhaps I wasn't in a good mood when I went to see it, but it just seemed, well, dark.

For posters on here who don't go to the movies often, this is the best time of year to go because the Hollywood Studios release their best work at year-end to be both eligible for the 2012 Oscars, and fresh in the minds of Oscar voters. Argo, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Les Mis, Zero Dark Thirty, etc....