Top 10% of the population own 89% of the wealth.

tsarbomb

Actually most of the wealth in the world is earned and not inherited. Even if much of it was inherited there would be nothing wrong with that. After all, whats wrong with leaving your kids something in your will?

Also, I don't understand why there is such a focus on the unequal distribution of wealth. There's absolutley nothing wrong with that as long as there is an equality of opportunity, which we largely have in place at the moment.

I'm pretty sure there is more debt in the world than there is inherited wealth.....

Clanrickard

Let's punish the prudent.
Anybody who works and saves hard to leave a legacy for their kids is obviously a Capitalist stooge.
Better to keep your Commie street cred, blow all your money on tat and leave the kids nothing.
No no no. You must be taxed at 95% so the public sector can take your wealth so we can get "better public services". Get with the programme you capitalist pig!

RasherHash

i cant think of any wealthy person i know who isnt extremely bright , hard working and capable

not everyone can be very bright but the very wealthy are rarely ever stupid
That's subjective, it also confuses cause and effect. Someone who inherits wealth can afford the best schools, good grinds and if all else fails, daddies business chums to wangle a degree or three.

Everything has a price, in the good old days the wealthy used to buy their master degree :)

Dame_Enda

Actually most of the wealth in the world is earned and not inherited. Even if much of it was inherited there would be nothing wrong with that. After all, whats wrong with leaving your kids something in your will?

Also, I don't understand why there is such a focus on the unequal distribution of wealth. There's absolutley nothing wrong with that as long as there is an equality of opportunity, which we largely have in place at the moment.

I'm pretty sure there is more debt in the world than there is inherited wealth.....
When you consider that much of that wealth in the hands of the political class was earned through corrupt practices e.g. much of the €15 million paid to Haughey when Taoiseach, I think theres absolutely something wrong with that.

Also Elaine Byrne was on the radio some years ago talking about her book "Corruption in Ireland", and she mentioned a case in the 50s or 60s where a sitting minister sued a would-be benefactor for failing to pay a promised bribe.

Clanrickard

Forbes Welcome

No nearly all the wealthiest have earned their wealth. In the process they have hired thousands of people paid millions in taxes and added value to the economy. For gobshytes like Kommunist riven with envy and living sad pathetic lives this is unacceptable.

Kommunist

How can there be "equal opportunity" between the rich and the poor? Are you even reading what you are saying?

Kommunist

Forbes Welcome

No nearly all the wealthiest have earned their wealth. In the process they have hired thousands of people paid millions in taxes and added value to the economy. For gobshytes like Kommunist riven with envy and living sad pathetic lives this is unacceptable.
Like Denis O'Brien pays taxes, right?

Truth.ie

Ever see the tomb of Karl Marx?
It's the most blingtastic in the cemetary.

Dorcha

A priest in America once said, "No one gets rich by working hard; they get rich by getting other people to work hard for them."

tsarbomb

When you consider that much of that wealth in the hands of the political class was earned through corrupt practices e.g. much of the €15 million paid to Haughey when Taoiseach, I think theres absolutely something wrong with that.

Also Elaine Byrne was on the radio some years ago talking about her book "Corruption in Ireland", and she mentioned a case in the 50s or 60s where a sitting minister sued a would-be benefactor for failing to pay a promised bribe.
Is that even true though? Even if it was, that was years ago. Do you think it was only the political classes and the well paid who were corrupt back in the 1980s?

Kommunist

Did anybody read the Panama leaks that showed that the worlds wealthiest avoid paying as much tax as possible or was that just me?

tsarbomb

Forbes Welcome

Yes, and the richest tend to pay by far the most taxes in modern societies. The welfare state that the left love so much wouldn't be possible without them.

Kommunist

Yes, and the richest tend to pay by far the most taxes in modern societies. The welfare state that the left love so much wouldn't be possible without them.
lmao

Have you seen how much "the richest" pay in tax in Ireland then?

tsarbomb

How can there be "equal opportunity" between the rich and the poor? Are you even reading what you are saying?
Everyone is given decent levels of education and healthcare in this country as well as there being no arbitrary distinctions in how people are treated.

There is nothing stopping even the poorest child in this country in becoming a success someday except for their own motivations.

Last edited:

TheWexfordInn

Ever see the tomb of Karl Marx?
It's the most blingtastic in the cemetary.
Yes Ive been there, his grave is an Ozymandias like tribute to Marxs rightful position lording it over the peasants. And appropriately enough the graveyard chosen to host the remains of his highness is in one of the most exclusive and expensive locations in London.

Kommunist

Everyone is given decent levels of education and healthcare in this country as well as there being no arbitrary distinctions in how people are treated.

There is nothing stopping the poorest child in this country in becoming a success someday except for their own motivations.
That's not really true. The deprivation levels in the North of Cork city are directly linked to the high lack of attendance to third level institutions / drop out rate. Poverty is also linked to suicide. Poverty and austerity and lack of social infrastructure are linked to the drug epidemics happening in places like Millstreet.

We have a level of education and healthcare that's rapidly being privatized and sold. My generation is the first to feel the brunt of this. Things were different even 10 years ago. I think you need to acknowledge that.

tsarbomb

lmao

Have you seen how much "the richest" pay in tax in Ireland then?
Far too much if you ask me....

"This note examines the latest OECD data (Taxing Wages 2014-2015) on the progressivity of the Irish income tax system in comparison with other OECD countries. It finds that according to OECD measures the Irish system is the most progressive and that taxes in Ireland are relatively low on those with average incomes and below."

Ireland has the Most Progressive Income Tax System in the EU | Public Policy, Public Expenditure & GNP

tsarbomb

That's not really true. The deprivation levels in the North of Cork city are directly linked to the high lack of attendance to third level institutions / drop out rate. Poverty is also linked to suicide. Poverty and austerity and lack of social infrastructure are linked to the drug epidemics happening in places like Millstreet.
Yes there is a connection, yes. There are groups of people who are not at all motivated to improve their own lot in life and don't bother to stick with education despite the supports that we rightly have in place to help them, or are too busy taking drugs to really give a toss about anything.

We have a level of education and healthcare that's rapidly being privatized and sold. My generation is the first to feel the brunt of this. Things were different even 10 years ago. I think you need to acknowledge that.
I agree with healthcare being privatized as long as it is free at source. The state has shown itself incapable of running a decent health service.

McTell

Twitter
No
Would we prefer the equality of Cuba, where everyone is on $15 a month ? Except the guys at the top of course....

Cuba has already been inherited within the Castro family. Lots of other 3rd world countries in the same boat.

Capitalism was started by poor people wanting to save for their (short) old age, or for a wedding or a rainy day. Millions saved, resulting in "capital" that was, and is, spent on everything from your local bridge to the computer you're looking at.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies