• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Top 5 priorities for Ireland for 2013

bluefirelog

Think about it...

What would you say are the 5 most important things that should be prioritised in Ireland in 2013?

Here's what I've come up with...;)

1. Sustainable Debt
- We need a deal with the EU on our long term debt management, whether part write off, part over the longer term or whatever the exact terms. That has to be the number one priority for 2013.

2. Deal with the past

- There has been too much superficial and populist scapegoating and not enough genuine and solid analysis and honest conversations about the boom/bust. We need proper discussion and catharsis as a nation to be able to move on and to ensure we don’t repeat the mistakes of the past.

3. Be positive about the future

- The doom and gloom is too much, particularly on the young. We need to stop talking ourselves down and have confidence in our ability to create a worthwhile future.

4. Education

- There’s a wise old saying that “education will set you free.” Investment in education is more important now than ever...

5. Reward the right thing

- As a society, we need to be more honest about our values. When people do the right thing, we need to acknowledge and reward their courage more.

Tawdy

You left out the most important thing here. All this is " In Your Opinion" :roll:

tipp revolution

Point 2 Deal with the past

We need to look further back than the 90's-00's. We need to stop acting like cap doffing peasant tenants with no self esteem and take charge of our country, stop the rot by each individual adopting a responsible moral stance in every sphere of life, rewrite the constitution and begin again.

Tawdy

Hmm...would that be the part where I said
D'oh!
You came up with a shyte OP, you neglected to state that is was your opinion, right now I`m inclined to think you don`t have an opinion, you do as told!

hammer

Interest rate reduction
Promissory note deal
Positivity
Incentivise employers to employ additional staff
Credit to SMEs and Individuals
Reduction in tax rates

bluefirelog

You came up with a shyte OP, you neglected to state that is was your opinion, right now I`m inclined to think you don`t have an opinion, you do as told!
To state the obvious: Tawdy either doesn't have the intellectual ability to understand a phrase like "Here's what I've come up with" as being a person's opinion or he's one of the site's trolls.

If he's one of the site's trolls whose goal in life is to derail threads, then he should be banned. The site is the worse for this kind of trolling.

Analyzer

There is a definite need to make a reappraisal of the startegy of this country.

In fact what is this country's strategy ?

Do we have one apart from "go along with whatever the clowns in Brussels decide" ???

tipp revolution

How do all youse achieve positivity then? ( Of course I know the answer - go on, just ask me!!)

Tawdy

Interest rate reduction
Promissory note deal
Positivity
Incentivise employers to employ additional staff
Credit to SMEs and Individuals
Reduction in tax rates

Ah, the cavelry (sic ) has arrived. The deluisional following the deluded! :lol:

Shpake

Great to see someone take the bull by the horns so to speak....
BUT
1 Sustainable Debt...assumes we have some sort of control over a debt write-off. It looks like a trade-off between our international reptuation and how much the bondholders can go and whistle for.
2 Deal with the past Am I the only one who feels that we are being fed information by the spoonful? We still don't have a full examination of the lead up to and the night of the bank guarantee. Shane Ross et al just got hold of Minister O'Donoghue's expense account by a lucky fluke. It's anyone's guess what else is out there. Then there is this entire little paedophile affair that was going on in the education system over the decades --- all brushed under the carpet. We just don't seem to have a proper system to find out who knew what when.
3.Be Positive about the future I'm all for it. But it should have some substance behind it. We need someone to invent another drink like Baileys or Guinness, Another rock group to match U2 or tin lizzy, some team who'll win the world cup for us, Another Whitaker to get the economy moving.
4. Education A great idea, all we need is the money and or the personnel to work for low wages. That takes dedication and is a kind of thankless task.
5. Reward the right thing Excellent point. Helmudt Schmitd one of the German Chancellors put it in a nutshell: Always do the right thing. But that's the easy part. Trying to find out what the right thing is can be awful difficult and time-consuming

Having said all that. I have to acknowledge that you have pointed out the right direction

Last edited:

tipp revolution

Do we have one apart from "go along with whatever the clowns in Brussels decide" ???
This is exactly wht Im saying a new start(egy) - the second republic (and yea, unify it as well- throw in all the s%$%£t together and sort it out in one fell swoop)

Tawdy

To state the obvious: Tawdy either doesn't have the intellectual ability to understand a phrase like "Here's what I've come up with" as being a person's opinion or he's one of the site's trolls.

If he's one of the site's trolls whose goal in life is to derail threads, then he should be banned. The site is the worse for this kind of trolling.

Says the jester of trolls. :roll:

Tawdy

We did have endas 5 point plan...........so bleu feels we need a new ...er......plan.............with 5 points. :lol:

hiding behind a poster

1 assumes we have some sort of control over a debt write-off. It looks like a trade-off between our international reptuation and how much the bondholders can go and whistle for.
Its nothing to do with bondholders.

Analyzer

3. I'm all for it. But it should have some substance behind it. We need someone to invent another drink like Baileys or Guinness, Another rock group to match U2 or tin lizzy, some team who'll win the world cup for us, Another Whitaker to get the economy moving.
Green jersey illusion. The drinks companies, and the Irish whiskey industry are owned by foreign multinationals with their headquarters in other countries. The profits get repatriated. You may as well claim that Microsoft and Intel are Irish.

U2 are not tax resident here. Thin Lizzy probably were, but that was a long time ago. Ask the Revenue Commissioners concerning the issue of the Bonx and pals.

Unfortunately, there is still a pervasisve tendency that we get something out of business models that attach themselves to this countr for reasosns of their own brand appreciation. when in fact the country gets SFA all out of it.

I put our willingness to go along with this with a lack of hard-headed scepticism on such matters. Or in a phrase, I would term it "the green jersey".

tipp revolution

We did have endas 5 point plan...........so bleu feels we need a new ...er......plan.............with 5 points. :lol:
Gee lightning fast aint ya see timbuc11 post about no 5 id say - blatant plagiarism Id say

lying eyes

Jeez there is not a hope in hell of anything changing in this Country. A lot of the people who caused the problems, are on huge pensions and living of the fat of the land.
Just look at Bertie ,Cowen and the rest of that shower. The new crowd are no better.

Popular Threads

Most Replies