Top Of The Pops repeats on BBC 4

RahenyFG

Anyone here watch the Top Of The Pops repeats on BBC 4? Currently in mid 1984, or maybe you remember watching it in 1984 or didn't watch it but remember the music from the era well. I wasn't around in 1984 but really enjoy watching the weekly episodes on most Thursdays and Fridays (they cut episodes with people who were later found to be sex predators ie Jimmy Saville and recently skipped an episode because Gary Glitter was on it). A time when music was interesting, acts were releasing album every 1-2 years unlike 3-4 or even 5 years now, big names were in the charts weekly and there was a wide range of music in the UK Top 40 unlike now where the chart is nearly the same week in week out and all the music and female singers sound the same.

This evening's episode featuring Alison Moyet, The Bluebells, Scritti Politti, Human League and Frankie Goes To Hollywood was just on but is repeated at 1am tonight.

RahenyFG

To be fair, there was also an awful lot of shyte
True that. Frank Kelly (Father Jack) had a Christmas song chart in January 1984 and it was terrible. Roland Rat and Joe Fagan are others with terrible novelty songs in 1984 tho the biggest sin the UK record buying public ever committed was buying in their droves Italian immigrant novelty song by Joe Dolce 'Shaddap You Face' which stopped the amazing piece of music that is Vienna by Ultravox from getting to no.1 in 1981.

ShoutingIsLeadership

True that. Frank Kelly (Father Jack) had a Christmas song chart in January 1984 and it was terrible. Roland Rat and Joe Fagan are others with terrible novelty songs in 1984 tho the biggest sin the UK record buying public ever committed was buying in their droves Italian immigrant novelty song by Joe Dolce 'Shaddap You Face' which stopped the amazing piece of music that is Vienna by Ultravox from getting to no.1 in 1981.

Off to YouTube Vienna...great song

Catalpast

Anyone here watch the Top Of The Pops repeats on BBC 4? Currently in mid 1984, or maybe you remember watching it in 1984 or didn't watch it but remember the music from the era well. I wasn't around in 1984 but really enjoy watching the weekly episodes on most Thursdays and Fridays (they cut episodes with people who were later found to be sex predators ie Jimmy Saville and recently skipped an episode because Gary Glitter was on it). A time when music was interesting, acts were releasing album every 1-2 years unlike 3-4 or even 5 years now, big names were in the charts weekly and there was a wide range of music in the UK Top 40 unlike now where the chart is nearly the same week in week out and all the music and female singers sound the same.

This evening's episode featuring Alison Moyet, The Bluebells, Scritti Politti, Human League and Frankie Goes To Hollywood was just on but is repeated at 1am tonight.
TOPS peaked in the late 60s - early 70s

Its a wonder they show any episodes at all really because by todays standards many of them were highly Sexist!

I mean would they get away with Pans People or Legs & Co nowadays????:shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSUfDG7cpk0

RahenyFG

TOPS peaked in the late 60s - early 70s

Its a wonder they show any episodes at all really because by todays standards many of them were highly Sexist!

I mean would they get away with Pans People or Legs & Co nowadays????:shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSUfDG7cpk0
Peak audience of 19 million was achieved in 1979 when ITV was on strike and that was in the days of just three TV channels in Britain.

As I said they don't show all episodes. They started repeating episodes from 1976 onwards a few years ago, as 1964-1976 saw the BBC wipe most episodes as was their policy pre 1976, but they don't show episodes with the likes of Dave Lee Travis or Jimmy Saville hosting and as I said recently cut an episode from the repeats because Gary Glitter was performing.

RahenyFG

The chart was interesting then as songs climbed the chart rather than just enter, peak in the first week and then drop down.

RahenyFG

Our Philo did the belter of a theme tune which ran from 1981-1984
[video=youtube;fK4zm7SLvbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK4zm7SLvbk[/video]

RahenyFG

@Catalpast

Watched that clip. They had a lot of dancing groups back then. You still see stuff like that on TV tho not at prime time or pre watershed.

D

Deleted member 45466

[video=youtube;3RwEMgyzl3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RwEMgyzl3o[/video]

RahenyFG

I know some people who grew up in the 60s and 70s felt the 80s was a weak decade at the time. Has time helped? (well not all acts ie Kajagooroo, Wham, OMD, Blancmange, Thompson Twins all still sound terrible) Or is the 80s bad still bad now as it was then?

I kinda feel that way now as someone who grew up in the 90s and 00s(which was okay) but the 10s has been terrible. The UK chart and charts worldwide went in the hands of teenage girls with awful music tastes when they allowed downloading and streaming to count. There was more honesty when people had to go into the shop to buy a single with b and c sides as opposed to a teenage girl listening to the same repetitive song 10 days a time every day.

D

Deleted member 45466

Bit of a curate's egg musically?

Didn't SAW corner the market mid to late 80s, and churn out an awful lot of manufactured, cookie cutter, turd?

amist4

[video=youtube;ZYHZUlf_z6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHZUlf_z6o[/video]

Fullforward

When music was good..................

[video=youtube;YnQZ5AHUk2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQZ5AHUk2U[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies