Torturing by the Provisional IRA- real or mostly imagined?

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
I have heard of two instances of the Provisional IRA torturing people. Paul Quinn a few years ago in South Armagh and a Sindo columnist said recently that a priest who saw Tom Olivers's body after he had been found in Armagh in 1991 said that it looked like every bone in his body had been broken from concrete blocks dropped on top of them. As allegedly also happened to Paul Quinn.

I recall reading Dessie O'Malley saying in a newspaper interview a few years ago that he hates Sinn Féin because he "knows what they (the IRA) did".

If the Provisional IRA did with any degree of regularity torture people physically then I think that family members of those victims and politicians and other people who know anything about these situations should speak out because young people today do not know of this. I am 36 and I have heard of little allegations about torture by the Provisional IRA and I've been interested in politics in the North for over 20 years so you can imagine what most young people today know of it. Is it true or false that the Provisional IRA had a long history of torturing people? I have put this thread in the Justice forum and not in the Sinn Féin forum because this is not a anti-SF/IRA intended thread but just merely one to help answer a question I and probably a lot of other people have. I expect that most people on this site do not have a realistic answer to my question so I would appreciate it if posters would not respond to this thread unless you have evidence to provide. Grma!

Note: when I mean alleged torturing I mean torturing to death in most cases. I am not talking about "punishment beatings".

Last edited:

GDPR

If they have evidence to provide, they should go to the police, and not Pie, you eejit.

Fullforward

... so I would appreciate it if posters would not respond to this thread unless you have evidence to provide. Grma!
If people follow your rules I think I will close the thread now.

former wesleyan

I have heard of two instances of the Provisional IRA torturing people. Paul Quinn a few years ago in South Armagh and a Sindo columnist said recently that a priest who saw Tom Olivers's body after he had been found in Louth in 1991 said that it looked like every bone in his body had been broken from concrete blocks dropped on top of them. As allegedly also happened to Paul Quinn.

I recall reading Dessie O'Malley saying in a newspaper interview a few years ago that he hates Sinn Féin because he "knows what they (the IRA) did".

If the Provisional IRA did with any degree of regularity torture people physically then I think that family members of those victims and politicians and other people who know anything about these situations should speak out because young people today do not know of this. I am 36 and I have heard of little allegations about torture by the Provisional IRA and I've been interested in politics in the North for over 20 years so you can imagine what most young people today know of it. Is it true or false that the Provisional IRA had a long history of torturing people? I have put this thread in the Justice forum and not in the Sinn Féin forum because this is not a anti-SF/IRA intended thread but just merely one to help answer a question I and probably a lot of other people have. I expect that most people on this site do not have a realistic answer to my question so I would appreciate it if posters would not respond to this thread unless you have evidence to provide. Grma!

Note: when I mean alleged torturing I mean torturing to death in most cases. I am not talking about "punishment beatings".
What would consider a safe distance from which to do this " speaking out " ?

DJP

Website
Twitter

SideysGhost

Christ on a hoverboard but this place just gets more and more deranged! :lol:

What on earth is wrong with you lunatics, not get enough hugs as a child or something? 40 bloody years of relentless anti-republican hysteria from the entire establishment media and politicians, but that's not enough, nah let's start a thread just making crazy sh1t up to try and scare the bejaysus out of the kiddies with the demonic spectre of the Provo Boogeyman.

The war's been over for more than 20 years you eejits. Time to move on and find a new burning obsession to consume the emptiness of your loser lives. I'm sure Val would welcome that level of obsessive monomania for his special quantum physics-based rebuttal of the wind energy hoax....

Sync

Darren J. Prior said:
If they're dying during the torture you're doing it wrong.

DaveM

What on earth is wrong with you lunatics, not get enough hugs as a child or something? 40 bloody years of relentless anti-republican hysteria from the entire establishment media and politicians, but that's not enough, nah let's start a thread just making crazy sh1t up to try and scare the bejaysus out of the kiddies with the demonic spectre of the Provo Boogeyman.

The war's been over for more than 20 years you eejits. Time to move on and find a new burning obsession to consume the emptiness of your loser lives. I'm sure Val would welcome that level of obsessive monomania for his special quantum physics-based rebuttal of the wind energy hoax....
20 years? Paul Quinn was beaten to death in 2007. I'm sure you can subtract. But it's ok. The leader of SF no less has told us that they're all good republicans around those parts so any criticism of them or his defence of them is obviously the preserve of swivel eyed loons, right?

freewillie

I have heard of two instances of the Provisional IRA torturing people. Paul Quinn a few years ago in South Armagh and a Sindo columnist said recently that a priest who saw Tom Olivers's body after he had been found in Louth in 1991 said that it looked like every bone in his body had been broken from concrete blocks dropped on top of them. As allegedly also happened to Paul Quinn.

Ignore the punishment beatings and kneecapping. Sure they were only a bit of fun

GDPR

Ah Sidewinder, you never learn do you?

Threads like this are just there to bring the likes of yourself out from under your rocks.

If the internet was around in the mid 60's people like you would be sitting in front of their computers, probably in Argentina or thereabouts, telling us all to forget about the horrors of WW2, to move on, most of it never really happened and it's over anyway even if it did.

As I say, that's the reason for threads like this one, the rest of us need to know you're still there and that your mind, what there is of it, still works the same way.

cricket

SF still torturing us every day with their whingeing in the media, north and south.

hollandia

Stick a tenner on a November election. you heard it here first, folks :)

fergal1790

OP are you trying to say(in a veiled threatening shinner/provo way) that there was no torturing or punishment beatings?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Ignore the punishment beatings and kneecapping. Sure they were only a bit of fun
I would imagine torturing to be a lot worse than one or two gun shots to people's kneecaps.

freewillie

I would imagine torturing to be a lot worse than one or two gun shots to people's kneecaps.
Young lad kneecapping at 18 has a life of limping before him. Probably unable to pass the medical for a lot of employment. A big price to pay for fingering the local Provo hardman's daughter

DJP

Website
Twitter

New Threads

Most Replies