• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Tourism Ireland spends €2.5m on new website that doesn't work on mobile phones

goosebump

ShankillFalls

I work in this area. The cost is shocking. A series of FOI requests on this would be useful. Do a text search for 'Dublin pub' and the first hit is Dublin Zoo. Why didn't they use Google custom search (it's cheap) and it works. Overall imagery is good but UI is very poor. A very good job could have been done for 150k plus translation costs.

junius

Tourism Ireland criticised for hiring UK website firm - National News - Independent.ie

Ireland: Holidays in Ireland

The Dail should pass at law.....no lets go further......there should be a Constitutional Amendment, that prevents anyone in the public sector signing off on an IT contract without first having it reviewed by a random secondary school student.
Didn't Ireland.com used to belong to the Irish Times newspaper. I recall e-mail addresses from that site ending in ireland.com. The website link won't upload for me at all.

D

Dylan2010

these guys plough through 70m a year, 2.5m is just back of the sofa money. it would be cheaper to close them down and give every tourist that stays more than a week a 100e voucher

robut

Outside of the €2.5m paid for the site they paid another whopping €500,000 just for the domain name -www.ireland.com-

DownTheyGo

Tourism Ireland criticised for hiring UK website firm - National News - Independent.ie

The Dail should pass at law.....no lets go further......there should be a Constitutional Amendment, that prevents anyone in the public sector signing off on an IT contract without first having it reviewed by a random secondary school student.
More flookin ineptness. Jaysus H Harry, can anyone in government get anything right and not cost us a fortune in the process?

Whoever is behind this should be sacked, no questions.

EUrJokingMeRight

But, but, but, but the bold private sector people made them do it!

EUrJokingMeRight

It almost equals theft.

Eire Nua

2.5 million is a total rip off, my opinion based on my own experience when i paid an IT firm to do a site for my business.

There is something very corrupt going on here. Who owns this company? Why wasn't it an Irish company, why is the site not even compatible with mobile devices.

This is a scandal when we are meant to be creating jobs to get our economy going. Instead we are helping the employment stats in the uk.

I smell total corruption here. It certainly did nt cost 2.5 for that site so who s back pocket did the money end up in??
This is truly shocking that 2.5 million was spent and there are loads of Irish it firms well capable of doing this work.

DownTheyGo

2.5 million is a total rip off, my opinion based on my own experience when i paid an IT firm to do a site for my business.

There is something very corrupt going on here. Who owns this company? Why wasn't it an Irish company, why is the site not even compatible with mobile devices.

This is a scandal when we are meant to be creating jobs to get our economy going. Instead we are helping the employment stats in the uk.

I smell total corruption here. It certainly did nt cost 2.5 for that site so who s back pocket did the money end up in??
This is truly shocking that 2.5 million was spent and there are loads of Irish it firms well capable of doing this work.
It bleedin' wreaks....

plantfirmly

That site is an eye-sore. It's utterly terrible. I'd be fuming if I paid €5,000 for it as a business owner! It doesn't perform it's primary function of conveying important information about Ireland to potentially interested tourists. All style and no substance.

Something wreaks that this abomination of a website cost €2.5M?!

Radix

2.5 million for that? Jesus.

Politics.ie is strictly a secular zone.

Please do not mention sky fairies or deities in your posts again.

This infraction will last eternally.

44percent

Several things to consider: this was an EU tender process so complaints that an Irish company should have got it because they are Irish throws us back to a long past era. If they were good enough they should have got it. Next, you need to consider the IT skills of a random 12-18 year old. The majority I know are good at posting shyte on FB and Twitter and liking the totes awk moment when whatever. I think the rhetorical flourish does nothing for your argument. If there are problems with the finished website then you have to compare the spec against the execution. Have you FOI'ed Tourism Ireland for the spec? Would you get it if it's commercially sensitive? Questions like this need to be answered before you lay blame. Perhaps the problem lies with the private sector firm? Those things can only be determined when you have access to the facts.

ScreeOrTalus

This country needs an Operation to prevent its Transformation into a multi-ethnic sh*thole:

[video=youtube;cGF3aAxgVM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cGF3aAxgVM8[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies