• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Town Council Abolition Likely to be Challenged

FrankSpeaks

The Mayors of Cork Town Councils met last night and are requesting a meeting with Big Phil to voice their opposition to the abolition. The Association of Municipal Authorities of Ireland (AMAI) are also considering legal action.

I hope the legal action goes ahead, getting rid of all of the local authorities is undemocratic in my view and I hope it succeeds.

tigerben

Well Midleton town council have 50 grand put aside to fight it , and are looking for other councils to band with them.

Socratus O' Pericles

Well Midleton town council have 50 grand put aside to fight it , and are looking for other councils to band with them.
Would that be 50k of ratepayers money? I'd say they'll fight this to the last Euro of ratepayers funds allowable to them alright. No further tho'.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
The Mayors of Cork Town Councils met last night and are requesting a meeting with Big Phil to voice their opposition to the abolition. The Association of Municipal Authorities of Ireland (AMAI) are also considering legal action.

I hope the legal action goes ahead, getting rid of all of the local authorities is undemocratic in my view and I hope it succeeds.
Thia was an absolute certainty to happen... and I still say I will be surprised if the abolition goes ahead... whether people agree with TC's or not, they are the bedrock of parties support in local communities, and the councillors are the rallying point for election teams come election time.. I think the decision will be rowed back upon at TC level

Tea Party Patriot

Is there any constitutional basis that states there has to be town councils. If there isn't then a legal challenge would be pointless. About time these useless institutions that are an unnecessary cost on the taxpayer were abolished.

Rocky

I don't see how something passed through an act of the Oireachtas could be illegal. Inevitably though it was going to face opposition from Town Councillors.

By the way their not getting rid of all of the local authorities. County Councils will contiune to exist, although they are being reformed to an extent.

FakeViking

Following a meeting in Midleton last night, Cork’s 12 mayors are seeking talks with Mr Hogan to voice their concerns over the plan.
That says it all, doesn't it?

Rocky

Is there any constitutional basis that states there has to be town councils. If there isn't then a legal challenge would be pointless. About time these useless institutions that are an unnecessary cost on the taxpayer were abolished.
No there isn't.

Socratus O' Pericles

Well it's hardly out of their own back pockets, is it?
So they are defying the Government and concievably taking legal action against the state using ratepayers money? Nice.

Socratus O' Pericles

Cork's 12 Mayors!! ....... that is amazing -you'd swear it was Texas.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
As I recall, there is absolutely no reference to town councils, county councils or city corporations in the constitution, so PH is quite within his right to do whatever he wants. He could replace the entire local government system if he saw fit (and could get it through the Oireachtas).

Last edited:

culmore

Its very nice of them to spend our money trying to keep their own jobs and expenses. Get rid of them all

FakeViking

It's like when Ahern was Taoiseach, every member of the FF PP had another job, be it a pretend Minister or chairman of some obscure committee, all at the taxpayer's expense. Badly needed, nay overdue, reform.

Socratus O' Pericles

Its very nice of them to spend our money trying to keep their own jobs and expenses. Get rid of them all
And defying their own party seniors in some cases- I wonder will Inda and Big fat phil stand up to them the way they stand up to to Europe.

FrankSpeaks

It may succeed under this article of the constitution!

LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Article 28A
1. The State recognises the role of local government in providing a forum for the democratic representation of local communities, in exercising and performing at local level powers and functions conferred by law and in promoting by its initiatives the interests of such communities.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Would that be 50k of ratepayers money? I'd say they'll fight this to the last Euro of ratepayers funds allowable to them alright. No further tho'.
If I was a taxpayer in Middelton who had paid for my service charge last year, I think I might be tempted to take out an injunction stopping this money from being used in this way. If councilors want to try and maintain their access to the trough, they should be required to pay for it with their own money.

Last edited: