Towns without town councils - time to fill the obvious gaps

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
With the local elections next due in 2009, I wish to start a discussion on areas that do not have their own council for their urban centre. I believe an area can greatly benefit from having its own local council, and these are crucial if we are to truly decentralise government in this country, it would also afford more opportunites for budding candidates to start on the political road.

It probably would not surprise you if I took Cork as an example of what I'm talking about the town councils are in places that traditionally had an Urban District Council or a Town Commisson, so Macrooom (population 2,985) has one (traditional UDC area) Passage has one (town commisson originally) yet a huge population centre like Ballincollig (population 16,339) and Carrigaline (population 16,634) hav none, how can this make sense ?

locke

In Munster I suppose you'd look at

Ballincollig
Carrigaline
Charleville
Mitchelstown
Blarney/Blarney-Tower (possible)
Dunamanway (possible)
Kanturk (possible)
Carrigtwohil (possible)
An Daingean/Dingle (possible)
Kenmare (possible)
Castleisland (possible)
Kilorglin (possible)
Newcastle West
Abbeyfeale (possible)
Newmarket-on-Fergus (possible)
Roscrea
Templemore (possible)
Cahir (possible)

Out of interest, does Passage West cover Monkstown?

UnholyApollo

In Meath Ashbourne, Ratoath & Dunshaughlin (I think) don't have Town Councils either.

T

Toman13

In Munster I suppose you'd look at

Ballincollig
Carrigaline
Charleville
Mitchelstown
Blarney/Blarney-Tower (possible)
Dunamanway (possible)
Kanturk (possible)
Carrigtwohil (possible)
An Daingean/Dingle (possible)
Kenmare (possible)
Castleisland (possible)
Kilorglin (possible)
Newcastle West
Abbeyfeale (possible)
Newmarket-on-Fergus (possible)
Roscrea
Templemore (possible)
Cahir (possible)

Out of interest, does Passage West cover Monkstown?
If they and their surrounding areas have a population of 30,000 or more, then I would agree with your suggestion to give them their own town councils, and I would separate them from their counties and give them the same responsibilities as county councils.

Last edited:

drjimryan2

the elections of 2014 afford us, I would suggest, a different oppotunnity altogether......

that is to abolish town councils and merge dublin into one.....

T

Toman13

The town council allocation is also illogical. Carrick-On-Shannon is bigger than quite a few towns that have town councils, but does not have one itself. Although even when you include the Roscommon district, which brings the total population to 4500, Carrick would still be way too small to justify a town council, IMO.

T

Toman13

the elections of 2014 afford us, I would suggest, a different oppotunnity altogether......

that is to abolish town councils and merge dublin into one.....
Well, if it's agreed by a local referendum, then why not?

cobalt

Oh boy.
The LAST thing this country needs at the moment is more councillors.

drjimryan2

one dublin authority with an elected mayor - with the power! = no fudge.......

would bring huge savings and make sense

hollandia

With the local elections next due in 2009, I wish to start a discussion on areas that do not have their own council for their urban centre. I believe an area can greatly benefit from having its own local council, and these are crucial if we are to truly decentralise government in this country, it would also afford more opportunites for budding candidates to start on the political road.

It probably would not surprise you if I took Cork as an example of what I'm talking about the town councils are in places that traditionally had an Urban District Council or a Town Commisson, so Macrooom (population 2,985) has one (traditional UDC area) Passage has one (town commisson originally) yet a huge population centre like Ballincollig (population 16,339) and Carrigaline (population 16,634) hav none, how can this make sense ?
My first reaction was - are you for real? Then I though about it. The traditional town councils are those which would have been the larger population areas in bygone days, and these have been surpassed where towns have grown exponentially. Some posters mentioned Swords, Ratoath and Ashbourne, of which I am familiar, which are certainly big enough to warrant town councils.

I would argue however, that we do not require town councils at all, rather they should operate as subsets of much larger local authorities. Take the case of the two meath towns mentioned - I would suggest that MCC or its much larger replacement, maintain a town office in Ashbourne and Ratoath, budget for it properly to provide the necessary LA services, whilst the elected Local Authority councillors for these towns meet once a month as a sub-council to vote on matters relevant to these areas only.

I understand that towns can be swallowed up in larger county authorities and ignored by the big hitters from another part of the county, and i think this could be the answer, without creating - or even getting rid of another set of bureaucrats and trough divers.

Clanrickard

If they and their surrounding areas have a population of 20,000 or more, then I would agree with your suggestion to give them their own town councils, and I would separate them from their counties and give them the same responsibilities as county councils.
Precisely. We have too little local government and too much messenger TDs filling the gap.

T

Toman13

one dublin authority with an elected mayor - with the power! = no fudge.......

would bring huge savings and make sense
I would favour some local district councils in Dublin as well, tbh. A local authority of well over 1 million seems a bit outlandish to me.

hollandia

Is that not the case already?
supposedly, but as i pointed out earlier, this does not account for certain towns growth during the last 20 years. And by much larger local authorities, I mean merging 2-4 bodies together e.g cavan, monaghan, leitrim or meath, louth and westmeath. A revamping of the current situation as most town councils are in existence because of the historical importance of those towns.

Ren84

Abolish all town councils and have 26 unitary authorities for each county. Each county should have a directly elected mayor that combines the current roles of Cathaoirleach/Lord Mayor with the city/county manager. Dublin should be the only authority that is called a city. The rest would be referred to as counties. Each county should have full control over the collection and spending of motor and property tax. They should be given responsibility of schools, hospitals, local transport along with airports located in their jurisdiction, ie; Dublin Airport would come under the remit of Dublin City Council, Cork Airport under Cork County Council as so on.

Finally counties, if they wish, should be allowed to establish local police forces and take over certain tasks from the Gardai in their areas, subject to approval from central government. So Dublin could establish a Dublin City Police Department that would take on responsibility for minor criminal investigations and traffic duties while the Gardai would handle major cases like criminal gangs, anti terrorism, murder investigations and so on.

Ren84

I would favour some local district councils in Dublin as well, tbh. A local authority of well over 1 million seems a bit outlandish to me.
Sigh. New York City is ONE local authority for over 8 million people FFS. Get over yourself. :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies