Toys R Us and Maplins go into administration in the UK

silverharp

Creative construction continues a pace. i always liked Maplins was good for niche items. I assume both succumbing to the Amazon giant and rapacious councils

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/feb/28/markets-fall-interest-rate-fears-brexit-pound-growth-gdp-business-live

Thousands of jobs at risk as Maplin and Toys R Us fall into administration - business live
Black morning for UK retail as two chains employing over 5,000 people call in the administrators
BREAKING: Maplin calls in administrators
CEO blames weak sterling and low consumer confidence
Earlier:
Toys R Us has fallen into administration
Attempts to find a buyer seem to have failed
Stores will keep trading ‘until further notice’

silverharp

Maplins has been in trouble for years

Betson

Neither has anything to do with Brexit , that is just a convenient bogey man. The OP has it correct when he states the influence of the online giants who are wiping out the store based business's.

wexfordman

CatullusV

Neither has anything to do with Brexit , that is just a convenient bogey man. The OP has it correct when he sates the influence of the online giants who are wiping out the store based business's.
You know better than the CEO of one of the firms involved?

PBP voter

Betson

You know better than the CEO of one of the firms involved?
It has been well documented how Maplin has been struggling for years , well before the Brexit vote came about. As I said it is convenient to blame something outside your control inside of reacting more swiftly to the shopping trend of the modern consumer.

Catalpast

Analyzer

Maplins are great for many many items. It is a real shocker to see them take a hit like this.

Analyzer

Toys are Us was down in Blanch SC for about 6 months a couple of years ago IIRC

- but flopped

Maplins always looked busy

- but next to no Irish staff

- why not?
Sobriety tests ?

Arter's scutter leaves people in the gutter.

Franzoni

The BBC are reporting that Toys R Us owe the VAT man £15 million sterling and the parent company are refusing to help out....

As for Maplins you can get a lot of the electronic components and gear on the net that are better quality and cheaper....

Aghalissabeagh

The BBC are reporting that Toys R Us owe the VAT man £15 million sterling and the parent company are refusing to help out....

As for Maplins you can get a lot of the electronic components and gear on the net that are better quality and cheaper....
Thing is in London you can order from Amazon in the morning and it's delivered in the afternoon at a cost of about 90 quid a year. In doing so you are supporting a series of 'gig economy' jobs of appalling standard while at the same time hollowing out your local economy , destroying local semi decent jobs and depriving the Treasury of tax.

So yeah, whoever said Brexit is 100% correct. It was a two finger salute to government for creating that environment

CatullusV

It has been well documented how Maplin has been struggling for years , well before the Brexit vote came about. As I said it is convenient to blame something outside your control inside of reacting more swiftly to the shopping trend of the modern consumer.
Brexit cost me around ninety thousand. Directly, as in directly attributable costs. It didn't take a genius to work what hurt me.

bormotello

Maplin become to expensive and got a lot alternatives like Ebay, Aliexpress or Radionics
No surprise there

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies