Tractors to spell out 'No Pylons' to EirGrid

Boss Croker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
352
Website
www.shergar.com
400 veteran and vintage tractors from across the North East are to spell out a ‘No Pylons’ warning to EirGrid in a 50 acre field in Kilmainhamwood in north county Meath. The letters will be at least 70 feet long and 40 feet wide.

The North East Pylon Pressure campaign (NEPP ) is organising the tractor rally on Bank Holiday Monday, 4th August, to underline rural opposition to EirGrid's proposal to build giant pylons and power lines across counties Monaghan, Cavan and Meath, and a substation in county Cavan.

Cavalcades of tractors will start at nine o’clock in the morning in the three counties, and led by veteran and vintage machines, they will converge on Dennis Farrelly's farm in Kilmainhamwood, County Meath, where they are due to arrive around one o’clock.

In addition to the veteran and vintage machines, the organisers confidently expect a further 500 to 600 tractors to take part. Spokesperson Aimée Treacy, of NEPP, said: ‘Not just farmers but everyone in rural villages and parishes are deeply concerned about EirGrid’s proposals. This is a chance for everyone to demonstrate their opposition’.
In county Meath, there will be three separate columns of tractors, starting at Summerhill, Batterstown and Bohermeen. Cavan tractors, starting from Mullagh, will join the Meath contingent at Moynalty, while tractors from the Muff area will join a Monaghan cavalcade at Kingscourt.

At the rally in Kilmainhamwood, there will be a forty long container truck adapted as a stage and there will be music, entertainment, bouncing castles and snacks to keep the crowds contented while the tractors are assembling. Two large fields have been earmarked as car parks and there will be plenty of stewards and Gardai directing traffic.

The Irish Farmers’ Association and the Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers’ Association both support the farmers’ opposition to pylons and overhead lines.

NEPP represents 45,000 people in the North East who favour undergrounding as the better way to construct ultra high power electricity lines.


At the announcement of a protest against the erection of ESB pylons by the North East Pylon Pressure campaign were, from left (on the vintage Nuffield tractor ) are Caoimhe Gibney (Carnaross, county Meath ) , Sinéad Farrelly (Kilmainhamwood, county Meath ) and Olivia Canavan (Muff, Kingscourt, county Cavan ) . Credit – Barry Cronin.
 


easygoing

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
78
Absolutely typical thick stupid Irish NIMBYism on display in the form of vintage tractors -- a fitting symbol for those of a more backward mindset. What, exactly, are they objecting to?

We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.
 

easygoing

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
78
Oh, wait, I see a placard that reads: "Property devalued 35%".

So much for patriotism, and for trying to see the big picture.

*sigh*
 

John_C

Active member
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
129
It's funny that an organisation claiming to represent 45,000 people had 10 people and 3 tractors at the rally.
 

Boss Croker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
352
Website
www.shergar.com
John_C said:
It's funny that an organisation claiming to represent 45,000 people had 10 people and 3 tractors at the rally.
You're so prejudiced you can't even read properly. The rally takes place next Monday ya eejit! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll send you a pic of the 1,000 vehicles.
 

Boss Croker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
352
Website
www.shergar.com
easygoing said:
We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.
With all the hot air you're spouting they'll have no trouble keeping a few wind turbines going alright. Plus all the wind you blow from the other end. :roll: :roll: :roll:
 

Boss Croker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
352
Website
www.shergar.com
easygoing said:
Oh, wait, I see a placard that reads: "Property devalued 35%".

So much for patriotism, and for trying to see the big picture.

*sigh*
Since when did patriotism require that we shoot ourselves in both feet? :roll: :roll: :roll:
 

de knowledge economy

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
379
Considering the amount of welfare payments (i.e farm subsidies ), tax breaks, grants etc. farmers have received over the years and continue to receive, they should be required to allow the pylons which are in the public interest to be located on their lands free of charge.Also rambling rights for the public should also form part of the contract.Give a little back,selfish farmers, dont be always trying to gouge the last penny you can get from the public purse.
 

evercloserunion

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
804
I never went looking, but was there ever a thread on the report published that claimed that laying underground cables would be five times as expensive as building pylons? I was never particularly sympathetic to (or interested in) the anti-pylon struggle, but this was what really turned me against these people.
 

droghedasouth

Well-known member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
1,091
evercloserunion said:
I never went looking, but was there ever a thread on the report published that claimed that laying underground cables would be five times as expensive as building pylons? I was never particularly sympathetic to (or interested in) the anti-pylon struggle, but this was what really turned me against these people.
More like 10 times more expensive thsn 5 times for a ralatively low capacity transmission like that planned for the N.E.

Not that the people involved would ever be swayed by a common sense argument.

Pity we can't exile them all to Rockall.
 

solair

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
41
In that case perhaps Eirgrid should remove the existing pylons and they can go back to living in the dark ages?

Running long distance high voltage powerlines underground is simply uneconomic and basically impossible.

The alternative is no power.

There is also ABSOLUTELY NO link WHATSOEVER proven in any scientific analysis of power lines and their EM fields that links them to any ill health or cancer. Unless you manage to actually touch one !

In fact, having that child so close to a vintage tractor is riskier given that its engine is more than likely not very efficient and is emitting all sorts of particulates in the exhaust that could potentially increase the risk of cancer! And there IS scientific evidence of that.. so perhaps they should run the vintage tractors out of Muff before attacking the powerlines?
 

myksav

Well-known member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
23,381
For any particular reason or just NIMBYism?
Do they find pylons ugly?
Of course, we could build more fossil fueled power stations instead.
 
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
84
Website
www.finfacts.com
evercloserunion said:
I never went looking, but was there ever a thread on the report published that claimed that laying underground cables would be five times as expensive as building pylons? I was never particularly sympathetic to (or interested in) the anti-pylon struggle, but this was what really turned me against these people.
The Irish Times reported on Monday that underground cables are 10 times more likely to develop a fault, and when they do, it can take days or possibly weeks, to repair, because whole sections of cable have to be dug up. In contrast, most faults on overhead lines are dealt with in hours.

These folk wouldn't pay for the additional cost of underground cabling and if they were without power for days or weeks, think of the hullabulloo.

No doubt that there will be plenty jellyfish politicians amongst the tractors on Aug 4th!
 

FrankSpeaks

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
4,573
easygoing said:
Absolutely typical thick stupid Irish NIMBYism on display in the form of vintage tractors -- a fitting symbol for those of a more backward mindset. What, exactly, are they objecting to?

We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.

Absolutely right - these people are idiots. They all use power and they all have mobile phones and expect these services at their doorstep and they don't seem to realise that if there is no infrastructure then there is no service. :?
 

fatcat

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
14
FrankSpeaks said:
easygoing said:
Absolutely typical thick stupid Irish NIMBYism on display in the form of vintage tractors -- a fitting symbol for those of a more backward mindset. What, exactly, are they objecting to?

We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.

Absolutely right - these people are idiots. They all use power and they all have mobile phones and expect these services at their doorstep and they don't seem to realise that if there is no infrastructure then there is no service. :?
It is not NIMBYism -they have no problem with the infrastructure going in, they simply want the cables buried rather than above ground.

There is also ABSOLUTELY NO link WHATSOEVER proven in any scientific analysis of power lines and their EM fields that links them to any ill health or cancer. Unless you manage to actually touch one !
Yes there is. Try checking the pylonpressure website for detail or independent studies such as those by British scientist, Professor Denis Henshaw, a distinguished researcher at Bristol University's Human Radiation Effects Group or Professor Richard Doll.

My main worry for the pylon pressure group is that it is being overtaken by Fianna Fail who will deflect responsibility away from the Government. The pylon pressure group in Dunderry is now chaired by FFer and I have been told that the same has happened in Athboy.
 

droghedasouth

Well-known member
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
1,091
fatcat said:
FrankSpeaks said:
easygoing said:
Absolutely typical thick stupid Irish NIMBYism on display in the form of vintage tractors -- a fitting symbol for those of a more backward mindset. What, exactly, are they objecting to?

We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.

Absolutely right - these people are idiots. They all use power and they all have mobile phones and expect these services at their doorstep and they don't seem to realise that if there is no infrastructure then there is no service. :?
It is not NIMBYism -they have no problem with the infrastructure going in, they simply want the cables buried rather than above ground.

There is also ABSOLUTELY NO link WHATSOEVER proven in any scientific analysis of power lines and their EM fields that links them to any ill health or cancer. Unless you manage to actually touch one !
Yes there is. Try checking the pylonpressure website for detail or independent studies such as those by British scientist, Professor Denis Henshaw, a distinguished researcher at Bristol University's Human Radiation Effects Group or Professor Richard Doll.

My main worry for the pylon pressure group is that it is being overtaken by Fianna Fail who will deflect responsibility away from the Government. The pylon pressure group in Dunderry is now chaired by FFer and I have been told that the same has happened in Athboy.
We are talking about pylons running through a low-density rural area.

They would be better off making sure that they were obeying the nitrates directive.
 

eyeSpy

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
2,548
i saw a farmer on tv a few months back getting all hot and bothered about having to drive himself and his family below these new high tension lines 'up to 4 times a day' when leaving the house.

try living in the city you clown.

the problem here is the internet. a little information is dangerous.

and yes, i grew up within 100 yards of a 110kV line.
not aware of any side effects.
although i can charge my phone by looking at it.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top