Tractors to spell out 'No Pylons' to EirGrid

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
SPN said:
Ferdia said:
That's not what the Ecofys report says. It's what Eamon Ryan's spin doctor says OK. :roll:
Have you any reference for that assertion?

Have you read the Ecofys report?

More importantly, where did that row crop 5000 come from? I assume it wasn't built in Basildon or Antwerp.
Yes. Simon Coveney TD pointed it out when Ecofys were before the Joint Oireachtas Cttee.

I have read Ecofys. Twice. It says that, once the systems are designed properly from Day One, underground is more reliable than overground.

Re ther row crop 5000. It's owned by a farmer a few miles from Kilmainhamwood in county Meath. Come along on the Bank Holiday and we'll show you even better than that. :p

SPN

Ferdia said:
SPN said:
Ferdia said:
That's not what the Ecofys report says. It's what Eamon Ryan's spin doctor says OK. :roll:
Yes. Simon Coveney TD pointed it out when Ecofys were before the Joint Oireachtas Cttee.
:p
With the greatest respect, I'd put more value on what Eamon Ryan says than I would on what Simon says. Simon is renowned for waffle-speak in forums where nobody is likely to question him on the detail. Ryan, on the other hand, tends to me much more focused on the detail.

myksav

Ferdia said:
evercloserunion said:
I never went looking, but was there ever a thread on the report published that claimed that laying underground cables would be five times as expensive as building pylons? I was never particularly sympathetic to (or interested in) the anti-pylon struggle, but this was what really turned me against these people.
No the report didn't say that. One of the authors, Prof Brakelman, has done two reports in Germany (2004, 2005) on actual projects and he got a figure of 1.6 times. The five times figure is for a theoretical, hypothetical line that exists on in the consultants' imagination.
knowing the Irish costing methods, I'd say 5 times would be a low estimate. Do you know of any infrastructural develpoment here that ever came in on budget or below?
I can't find any.

myksav

Ferdia said:
myksav said:
For any particular reason or just NIMBYism?
Do they find pylons ugly?
Of course, we could build more fossil fueled power stations instead.
You fvcking idiot. The transmission system has nothing to do with fossil fuel stations. It will carry electricity generated from any source. Pylons are more likely to go with fossil fuels. It's technology of the same era. Renewables and underground go together ... as Germany is demonstrating.

Maybe it's cos u have a ;) fossil brain?
Ah, I was going to reply on the content of your post but since you decided to be a tit, **** it. Yer not worth the effort.

A bit of politeness would have helped your position. :roll:

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
SPN said:
Ferdia said:
SPN said:
Ferdia said:
:p
With the greatest respect, I'd put more value on what Eamon Ryan says than I would on what Simon says. Simon is renowned for waffle-speak in forums where nobody is likely to question him on the detail. Ryan, on the other hand, tends to me much more focused on the detail.
Well in this case it was Simon asking the questions. He'd read the report and done his home work. Have you put Eamon Ryan forward for canonisation yet?

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
myksav said:
Ah, I was going to reply on the content of your post but since you decided to be a tit, **** it. Yer not worth the effort. A bit of politeness would have helped your position. :roll:
Lectures on politeness from someone who uses words like 'tit' and 'fvck it'. Whatever will they think of next? The interesting thing about the singing dog was not how well it sang. But that it sang at all.

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
myksav said:
knowing the Irish costing methods, I'd say 5 times would be a low estimate. Do you know of any infrastructural develpoment here that ever came in on budget or below? I can't find any.
Ecofys' adviser on cost, Prof Brakelman, has costed two actual underground lines in Germany at 1.6 times overground. The five times is just a hypothetical estimate. It relates to nothing in reality. In addition, it costs EirGrid overhead lines at €700,000 per kilometre. Even EirGrid don't know how the consultants came up with such a low figure. Back of the envelope job, really.

tit! fVck it!

SPN

Ferdia said:
He'd read the report and done his home work.
Are you going to substantiate your assertion or not?

Whether Simon Coveney had read the report, pretended he read the report, or misread the report is immaterial.

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
SPN said:
Ferdia said:
He'd read the report and done his home work.
Are you going to substantiate your assertion or not?

Whether Simon Coveney had read the report, pretended he read the report, or misread the report is immaterial.
I was at the Joint Oireachtas Committee. Were you?

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
SPN said:
Well, that's just your opinion. The rest of it don't necessarily have to accept. And being your opinion doesn't prevent it being a stupid opinion.

I know both men. I v'e seen them both in action at close quarters. Coveney's performance has smartened up a lot since the general election. Ryan, on the other hand, is all smile and no substance.

SPN

From my experience of the two gentlemen, you have it ass backwards.

But then, most of the unfounded twaddle you have posted on this thread has been ass backwards, so we wouldn't expect anything better from you.

Might we hope that you will soon start posting facts, with references, on this thread, or do you just intend to continue your tedious waffling?

politicaldonations

Impressive tun out of tractors today which leads me to beleive money or property values/compensation is motivating factor as farmers are rarely rallied unless theres money involved. Go back to riding your cousin ya backward biffos. These cables are all over world and are harmless , especially in rural areas where few people are close to any strong EM fields.

Twin Towers

politicaldonations said:
Impressive tun out of tractors today which leads me to beleive money or property values/compensation is motivating factor as farmers are rarely rallied unless theres money involved.
when asked if it was about compo before he said "Whether the lines go overground or undeground farmers will still look for compensation. Don't think that overground is a compensation free option. Farmers have been getting payments for having overhead pylons on their lands for more than 40 years."

irishwoman

As always on this and other sites there are people who will form opinions about others and about issues that they have absolutely no idea about. Slandering the people that are protesting is an easy route to blind and false assumptions. Speaking about farmers in a pejorative manner, talking about progress being halted and claiming falsehoods really will not help any issue and in fact hinder our country so much more. New Ireland seems to have spawned thousands of people who are cynical of anyone who will protest against something with which they disagree. A whole community, not just farmers, have come together to protest against unsightly pylons and substations that will span the country of Ireland. The way that most people have spoken on their posts seems to suggest that people in the country are stupid and conservative. What ever happened to people fighting for what they believe in? This is not just about money or even about health, the pylons and substations are a blight on the countryside for those living there, those visiting and for those in the future. Our tourist industry is just as important to us as other industries. Money has been squandered on much in the country but it is not the case that the pylons will cost 5 or 10 times as much as others and independent studies carried out have shown this. I know that many experts are in the process of writing reports on the matter and I am therefore not going to make blind assumptions like most others on this site have done. Instead I wish that opinions were not formed so quickly in the future, but it seems that we as a nation are now bitter, cynical and seeking continual 'progress' (whatever that may be).

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
politicaldonations said:
Go back to riding your cousin ya backward biffos.
No thanks. We'll leave you to ride your cousins. We prefer to ride our tractors. :cool:

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
Twin Towers said:
politicaldonations said:
Impressive tun out of tractors today which leads me to beleive money or property values/compensation is motivating factor as farmers are rarely rallied unless theres money involved.
when asked if it was about compo before he said "Whether the lines go overground or undeground farmers will still look for compensation. Don't think that overground is a compensation free option. Farmers have been getting payments for having overhead pylons on their lands for more than 40 years."
Bunreacht na hÉireann guarantees that. Would the ESB give me Poolbeg power station free? They would like fvck!

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
SPN said:
ass backwards.

ass backwards
ass backwards? :lol: You must find it difficult to wipe it so. Especially when you talk so much sh1te through it. :roll:
I'm sure there's an operation of some kind that will cure your embarrassing condition. Forward your ass .... to a good hospital ... and I'm sure they'll fix it for you.

Sorry... no one can fix your prepensity to sh1te talk. ;)

cHeal

Twin Towers said:
politicaldonations said:
And so they should. It's there land!

Would any of the city folk here like a pylon to be planted in whatever land they own? Their back garden? Of course not, it's there land and they have a right to object, whether it be over land values, health issues, aesthetic issues or anything else. It's there land, it does not belong to the state, the nation or to the tax payer, it belongs to the farmer.

And lets not forget that the farmer himself would probably be refused permission to build a house on his land, unless it was a tiny little cottage with tiny windows and whitewash on the walls.

politicaldonations

cHeal said:
Twin Towers said:
politicaldonations said:
And so they should. It's there land!

Would any of the city folk here like a pylon to be planted in whatever land they own? Their back garden? Of course not, it's there land and they have a right to object, whether it be over land values, health issues, aesthetic issues or anything else. It's there land, it does not belong to the state, the nation or to the tax payer, it belongs to the farmer.

And lets not forget that the farmer himself would probably be refused permission to build a house on his land, unless it was a tiny little cottage with tiny windows and whitewash on the walls.
You sound like Noel O'Gara.
Fortunately people can't just build anything they like on "their land" . Maybe I should be allow contruct a 100foot tower in my city back garden? If farmers are just in the business of owning land for agricultural purpoose then they should'nt be bother by a tiny proportion of their fields being occupied by the base of pylons.

Popular Threads

Most Replies