• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Traffic chaos north dublin......

nonpartyboy

Over 1 hour to travel, 2 miles.......the m1 at a standstill, dublin airport, airside in swords. Couldn't see anything.

Anyone know why ? Not a peep on the radio.....

If anyone was injured in an accident , I wish them a speedy recovery but i seriously hope this was not some bright sparks creation so some overpaid bureaucrat could be sped into town in quick time.

I personally was very close to running out of petrol and I saw 2 other cars broken down/out of fuel.

Aristodemus

Over 1 hour to travel, 2 miles.......the m1 at a standstill, dublin airport, airside in swords. Couldn't see anything.

If anyone was injured in an accident , I wish them a speedy recovery but i seriously hope this was not some bright sparks creation so some overpaid bureaucrat could be sped into town in quick time.

I personally was very close to running out of petrol and I saw 2 other cars broken down/out of fuel.
Chances are some idiot like you was texting on his mobile

R3volution_R3ady

Why don't we have a subway in Dublin? Bureaucracy. What about a proper bus service, jetties, share-taxi's? Bureaucracy. What about overhead turnpikes or underground autobahns? Bureaucracy. Where are our roads? Bureaucracy. It's this micro-management bureaucratic BS that has held this country back for far too long. Why must we go through Micks fathers uncles nephews dogs aunt to build a mickey mouse road from Ballygobackwards to Ballybackarse? If some entrepreneur wants to build a private road, surely all he needs is the permission of the farmer whos field he will build across and thus, both can decide monies.

Mad stuff altogether.

FakeViking

That's your problem. Can you get AA Roadwatch (Dublin) on your phone?
There's a neat app where you can view the traffic cameras on your andriod. Much better than listening to AA Wrongwatch telling us about the traffic between Merrion Gates and St Vincents Hospital.

cricket

RTE Radio 1 warned of a multi vehicle accident on their 1pm news.

gatsbygirl20

There's a neat app where you can view the traffic cameras on your andriod. Much better than listening to AA Wrongwatch telling us about the traffic between Merrion Gates and St Vincents Hospital.
Well, AA Roadwatch have the explanation for Nonpartyboy's delay up on their webpage.....He is stuck there. At least he knows why, now

Grumpy Jack

Why don't we have a subway in Dublin?
Because successive governments have ignored the experts three times over the last 40-years when they recommended a rapid rail network, underground in the city centre and built-up areas - and listened to muppets like McDonald and Myers (media), Barrett and McCarthy ('economists') and that clown O'Leary (Scamair). Short-term stickyplasters are considered much better vote winners than long-term cures involving surgery.

You see, Dublin is Irish and is this completely different to places like Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brussels, Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Munich, Stuttgart, Cologne, Frankfurt, Hanover, Hamburg, Nuremburg, etc...

And when they finally did accept what the experts were saying back in 2001, Ahern's govt dithered so much that by the time the plans were ready to begin construction (Metro North and Dart Underground) there was no money to do it - again thanks to the insanity of Bertienomics and its consequences.

Now we have two ready to build projects with full planning permission and €200m spent in preparatory work, and no chance of them being built for a decade or more.

And that clown Varadkar is boasting about how this govt will build a the Luas link in the city centre which will be beyond capacity before it even opens in 2017 - another €400m wasted.

The traffic volumes on that north Dublin corridor from north of Swords past the airport to the city centre more than justify the investment in Metro North - and that will be even more apparent as the roads gridlock as the economy recovers.

I wonder how many people missed their flights today due to this single accident and its consequences?

Rocky

And that clown Varadkar is boasting about how this govt will build a the Luas link in the city centre which will be beyond capacity before it even opens in 2017 - another €400m wasted.
I'm curious as to this statement.

If it is going to beyond capacity before it even opens, how is that money wasted? Does that not mean that this Luas Link should be done plus something else?

Grumpy Jack

I'm curious as to this statement.

If it is going to beyond capacity before it even opens, how is that money wasted? Does that not mean that this Luas Link should be done plus something else?
Because it will be so packed from the day it opens that it will not be able to cope with the demand. The Luas Green line is already at capacity, despite a near 50% increase (longer trams, greater frequencies) in the last few years. The Red Line is also struggling to cope at peak times, especially in the city centre between Heuston and The Point.

Luas BXD was due to be built to complement Metro North in the city centre for shorter trips - not as an alternative.

Rocky

Because it will be so packed from the day it opens that it will not be able to cope with the demand. The Luas Green line is already at capacity, despite a near 50% increase (longer trams, greater frequencies) in the last few years. The Red Line is also struggling to cope at peak times, especially in the city centre between Heuston and The Point.

Luas BXD was due to be built to complement Metro North in the city centre for shorter trips - not as an alternative.
So keeping in mind that we have no money to built the Metro North as you admitted yourself, what's the solution?

Beyond that If it won't be able to cope with demand, then not having it, means that the Luas Line will be even less able to cope with demand.

Clanrickard

So keeping in mind that we have no money to built the Metro North as you admitted yourself, what's the solution?

Beyond that If it won't be able to cope with demand, then not having it, means that the Luas Line will be even less able to cope with demand.
Find the money. It will pay back many times. This is crucial infrastructure.

FakeViking

And when they finally did accept what the experts were saying back in 2001, Ahern's govt dithered so much that by the time the plans were ready to begin construction (Metro North and Dart Underground) there was no money to do it - again thanks to the insanity of Bertienomics and its consequences.
It would certainly have guaranteed a recession-free future for manufacturers of brown envelopes.

Grumpy Jack

Luas BXD will do nothing to solve the wider transport problems in the Greater Dublin Area, which is what Metro and Dart are designed to do. It will move people around parts of the city centre but that's it.

Getting the economy back on track and the debt and deficit situations back on track asap - and then using future long-term borrowing to fund the critical infrastructure that we need into the future.

Metro North and Dart Underground were due to be funded by 25-year and 35-year PPPs - the cost of borrowing due to the deficit and bank bailouts scuppered those and other projects since 2010. But such funding will become available and affordable in the future and the govt needs to push for it as soon as possible. The same goes for other largescale projects like the Cork-Limerick motorway and the upgrade and electrification of the Dublin to Cork, Limerick, Galway and Belfast rail lines.

Otherwise, a recovering/recovered economy faces another massive infrastructure deficit in the next decade similar to the one hit in late-1990s/early-2000s caused by cutbacks in 80s followed by rapid growth from mid-90s.

Look at it this way, how would Dublin have developed in last 30 years had the original three-line Dart project, with north-south and eas-west tunnels instersecting in the city centre been built through the 1980s as planned had it not been botched by FF and abandoned by FG-Lab? And would we have had the same problems we face today?

Last edited:

Grumpy Jack

It would certainly have guaranteed a recession-free future for manufacturers of brown envelopes.
And the possibility of some corruption should prevent the development of critical infrastucture that will last for 100 years and beyond?

FakeViking

And the possibility of some corruption should prevent the development of critical infrastucture that will last for 100 years and beyond?
I'd like to see if go ahead immediately as well, but if it was during the reign of the Drumcondra Don and his gang of insiders, the graft would cost us dearly. Has the price of the DPT been finalised yet?

Analyzer

Grumpy Jack, The DART-U can be justified in terms of the fact that it covers the busiest and most high density section of urban space in Ireland - D2.

And it links up the two rail lines, by means of rail.

However, it is not going to happen as long as the EU is able to tell our politicians to keep paying billions to gamblers holding Seanie Bonds.

Killerbank

Back to the Traffic Jam on the M1 that this thread was supposed to be about....

I'm not clear where exactly this morning's multi-vehicle crash occurred but I do know that the part of the M1 where traffic exiting from the Airport roundabout heading towards town mixes with the main traffic flow from Dundalk, Northern Ireland etc is a potential trouble spot. In my opinion that is.
The traffic coming from the North is still travelling too fast to allow safe merger with the slower traffic from the Airport roundabout. This is compounded by the confusing narrow traffic lane southbound destined for the N32 exit (which probably should have green not blue signage for easier identification) leading to a lot of criss-crossing as cars try to find the correct position for the N32. The latter road is misleadingly labelled as for Malahide but it should really be labelled Malahide Road or Howth or Baldoyle or even Dohaghmede.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies