• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Transgendered woman scared to return to Northern Ireland

TrueBlue84

Why exactly has this been moved then?

Are we not allowed to discuss the society which has been built which has engendered this fear in Northern Irish society? Or are the neanderthals incharge and transgender is an issue which never be spoken of?

Shame on you

factual

To be fair, this is a serious issue and its a form of prejudice against the transgender community to move it to "silly season".

Scipio

Sadly, this sort of prejudice is all too common in smaller, more rural based conservative societies such as NI. The fact that this women feels that she will be attacked if she returns to NI, and is hence seeking asylum abroad, should set serious alarm bells ringing.

It's hard to see what kind of evolution will be coming about in this area any time soon given that the DUP is the party of the homophobic-leaning Christian Right, and therefore will theoretically veto any and all local legislation to aid these people in their plight.

saoirsegodeo32

sad that she cant feel safe in her own home

st333ve

I'd say some of the people involved in such attacks are actually homosexual themselves, and maybe repressing their natural feelings in public.
I don't understand why anyone would get so angry at people because of such a thing, unless their brainwashed by the Jebus Crisp Booble or whatever its called, or possibly repressing the same urges themselves.

The Kremlin's (gay club in Belfast) full of steroid Loyalist men with tattoo's running around with their tops off dancing like girls and kissing each other.
The same people probably brick the homes off gay people in Belfast!

damon

BBC News - NI transgendered woman seeks refugee status in Canada

As the politicians lap their expenses up they have done nothing on the ground to resolves issues of hatred, fear and ignorance in the community
Sorry, this sounds like an immigration story to me.
She was living in Canada till her visa ran out and she was told to leave.
It's tough really. I wanted to live in America once, but was just refused permission to be able to stay and work.

She doesn't need to live in Northern Ireland if she thinks it's all so bad. She's got the whole of the EU to chose from. Good luck to her if she gets to stay in Canada, but it's not even as worthy as cases of Jamaican gay people claiming asylum in Europe. Because Jamaica IS homophobic.

Btw, I'n not really up on transgender issues, because I've never met a transgendered person that I'm aware of. I've known loads of gays and lesbians over the years - not sure about ''bisexual'' as a category. (Does that include someone like Johnny Adair?)
And as for transgendered ..... why does that get put in a ''LGBT'' category?

Is a transvestite male transgendered? Are you just whatever sex you say you are regardles of your sexual organs? I have no idea.

TrueBlue84

Transgender would cover those in the process of changing or having changed sex I think.

Gender in itself is a social construct.

Scipio

Hold on there. I'm pretty sure that even without societal constructs, I'd know that my girlfriend was fairly different to me physically, as I am to her.

What about gender is "constructed"?

loner

Presumably she is a UK citizen so why would she claim refugee status in Canada?

slippy wicket

Just for clarifications sake is this 'she' a he with a mutilated penis or is it a she that is trying to be a he but is still legally classed as a she.
Either way mutilating yourself that way is nasty imo, but if that is how it wants to live its life so be it.

Last edited:

TrueBlue84

Presumably she is a UK citizen so why would she claim refugee status in Canada?
That is actually a really good point. Fair enough Northern Ireland may be small minded but what of the rest of the UK. London for example and I imagine an eyelid wouldnt be batted.

What about ROI? Is there a problem down there?

She went to Methody in BElfast

TrueBlue84

Hold on there. I'm pretty sure that even without societal constructs, I'd know that my girlfriend was fairly different to me physically, as I am to her.

What about gender is "constructed"?
Believe it or not ive dabbled with a little bit of women/gender studies and they maintain that gender is a social construct.

Generally...

Girls are brought up to play with dolls (look pretty etc) or play with with cooking toys or baby dolls to reinforce the concepts of what they should do and be when they reach adulthood.

Boys are brought up play with guns and general macho things like that to reinforce what they should be when they reach adulthood.

I am rusty with the whole concept but they implied that if you raise a female as a male that she will develop more masculine tendencies in adulthood and could in theory be a physical match for male peers.

Sex is the biology of the whole thing and the female will still have female parts as would a male would retain male parts if he was brought up as a female.

I cant remember if the theory went as far to state that hormones were supressed to support this process or extra were released though

darkhorse

like the nigerian woman who claimed her children would be subjected to fmg, this ni transsexual lady was seeking asylum to stay in canada with her family without justification (funny enough her family happen to live there legally already). And why wouldnt she - you would say - but we cant expect canada to absorb all ours or the worlds refugees. they have the right to refuse if they wish - the lady has no right to stay there and realistically nobody will look at her twice in ni.

Scipio

Believe it or not ive dabbled with a little bit of women/gender studies and they maintain that gender is a social construct.

Generally...

Girls are brought up to play with dolls (look pretty etc) or play with with cooking toys or baby dolls to reinforce the concepts of what they should do and be when they reach adulthood.

Boys are brought up play with guns and general macho things like that to reinforce what they should be when they reach adulthood.

I am rusty with the whole concept but they implied that if you raise a female as a male that she will develop more masculine tendencies in adulthood and could in theory be a physical match for male peers.

Sex is the biology of the whole thing and the female will still have female parts as would a male would retain male parts if he was brought up as a female.

I cant remember if the theory went as far to state that hormones were supressed to support this process or extra were released though
I have heard of that theory, but it does seem to be fairly badly undercut by people such as this. It seems that forcing a gender identity on people rarely works if it is not in tune with what the inner body feels.

As of now, gender seems to retain its overriding status as a biological construct, rather than one that can be "learned" (though there are of course numerous exceptions to the rule).

SevenStars

Oh how I wish periods were social constructs too....have you ever known a man to get preggers?

Spare us....

slippy wicket

In many areas of the Republic if not most, this person would face the same obnoxious hatred!
In fairness, looking at the quality of women in the area i live, he/she/it prob would fit right in somewhere above the moonpig level :mrgreen:

TrueBlue84

Oh how I wish periods were social constructs too....have you ever known a man to get preggers?

Spare us....
If you were raised as a man your with the increased testosterone in your system you wouldnt be worrying about many periods... was something like that not addressed in GI Jane?

Again educate yourself as you are confusing gender with sex

Sex is the biology, gender is the social construct