Travel pass for welfare claimants withdrawn??

rob

Did anyone hear of a withdrawl of travel pass for welfare claimants. a friend who is ill and does not have net asked me about it

hammer

I think its being withdrawn for OAPs and also the free TV licence.

FFS the buses are empty anyway when the auld one`s use it :)

spidermom

"Proposals were being brought to Government, however, on changes to the system of eligibility for services, and a tiered level of benefits was planned for the future."
'No changes planned for medical cards'

NO worries then...This Minister does tiered systems VERY WELL!!!!!

kerdasi amaq

That would be a pointless gesture. They wouldn't save any money by doing that.

rob

There is no travel pass for welfare claimants and there never was.
There is:
For disabilty allowance and invalidity pension and OAP, should have been more specific

rob

That would be a pointless gesture. They wouldn't save any money by doing that.
they would save what ever they pay Bus Eireann, Trains and private busses. Bus eireann is a flat fee and privates are paid on a 'by journey' basis hence you have to give name on private busses but not Bus Eireann.

But still that would not be much I would not think. Someone who is on an illness paynment and with no internet asked me about it

CorkOB

I think its being withdrawn for OAPs and also the free TV licence.

FFS the buses are empty anyway when the auld one`s use it :)
Free travel..... Better the OAPs stay at home, they'll only get mugged for their pension monies. As for the withdrawal of the free TV licence for OAP's...... From an economic, statistical and morbidity point of view surely that is a bad decision. RTE is bound to drive them into an early grave.

rob

As for the withdrawal of the free TV licence for OAP's......
that was another thing he asked.he has free licence. Has it been withdrawn from illness payment? He is not OAP

Think.Thank

Sure before long there will be no such thing as an OAP with the retirement age being pushed up to 66. Imagine being down the dole office signing on at 66 cause there are no jobs.

euroboy

Hopefully the government will take away the free travel pass, tv licence and free esb for pensioners earning more than the average wage. It's unfair on rural pensioners that can't access public transport(nor do rural pensioners benefit from increased property prices due to transport links). It is also unfair on the travelling public that have to partly finance the free travel because the govt subsidy doesn't cover the full cost.

As for those on lower incomes, I would welcome a charge per use, with maybe a few free journeys per year.

dublinman

the free travel pass or free television licence is not being withdrawn i have heard nothing and theres nothing on the net so far

PAD1OH

It's unfair on rural pensioners that can't access public transport(nor do rural pensioners benefit from increased property prices due to transport links).
hang on. because some people choose to live in rural areas everyone else has to have a fragmented access to public services?

if they want a bus and pricier homes they should move to a town/city

euroboy

hang on. because some people choose to live in rural areas everyone else has to have a fragmented access to public services?

if they want a bus and pricier homes they should move to a town/city

That really wasn't the point I was trying to make, but if you want to think of it like that, then people pensioners who live in cities, should pay for their transport, because the benefit of transport access is priced into their properties.

What I was trying to say in my first post, is that the rationale for the free travel is target the problem of social isolation among pensioners. But the very pensioners that have a higher chance of being socially isolated are rural pensioners, and the free travel pass doesn't help them.

The free travel is too expensive, isn't an effective policy tool to deal with pensioner isolation, and is unfair in that many pensioners can afford to pay for travel while the working poor must pay higher transport fares than would be, if pensioners had to pay for their train fares.

kerdasi amaq

they would save what ever they pay Bus Eireann, Trains and private busses. Bus eireann is a flat fee and privates are paid on a 'by journey' basis hence you have to give name on private busses but not Bus Eireann.

But still that would not be much I would not think. Someone who is on an illness paynment and with no internet asked me about it
The government gives CIE a subsidy, and the government gets free travel for pass holders in return. They couldn't give the subsidy otherwise under European aid rules.

invpat

Hopefully the government will take away the free travel pass, tv licence and free esb for pensioners earning more than the average wage. It's unfair on rural pensioners that can't access public transport(nor do rural pensioners benefit from increased property prices due to transport links). It is also unfair on the travelling public that have to partly finance the free travel because the govt subsidy doesn't cover the full cost.

As for those on lower incomes, I would welcome a charge per use, with maybe a few free journeys per year.
Why not shoot them and dont just stop with the pensioners shoot the unemployed as well and while your'e at it drop into the maternity wards and shoot the occupants there as well.You people you are so crass and cruel you make me sick.

kerdasi amaq

The working poor could look forward to having free travel pass when they retire and get the pension. It would be grossly unfair to deprive them of that. I'd say that really well off pensioners wouldn't use it anyway.

PAD1OH

That really wasn't the point I was trying to make, but if you want to think of it like that, then people pensioners who live in cities, should pay for their transport, because the benefit of transport access is priced into their properties.

What I was trying to say in my first post, is that the rationale for the free travel is target the problem of social isolation among pensioners. But the very pensioners that have a higher chance of being socially isolated are rural pensioners, and the free travel pass doesn't help them.

The free travel is too expensive, isn't an effective policy tool to deal with pensioner isolation, and is unfair in that many pensioners can afford to pay for travel while the working poor must pay higher transport fares than would be, if pensioners had to pay for their train fares.
ah i see.

I'm not sure if we have established it is "too" expensive against other strategies for combating isolation.

if i'm understanding you, you're basically saying that ability to pay doesn't have an age dimension..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies