• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Traveler accommodation burned in Ennis.

Clanrickard

2 houses damaged after fire at Ennis Traveller site | clare.fm

2 houses on the Ashline site were burned and the other 4 are boarded up after previous arson attacks. Something needs to be done because Clare is becoming a joke as regards accommodation for Pavees. Even the normally PC Greens are aghast 34 Million Traveller Accommodation Costs Insane | Councillor Brian MeaneyCouncillor Brian Meaney while the Clare Champion described Ashline as " a war zone" Ashline Traveller scheme a. 1.7 million not including maintenance has been spent on his site alone. You would have to ask as to the efficacy of housing people who don't want to be housed or who simply refuse to behave properly. Are we getting to the point where those Travelers who refuse to integrate are to be sent to the so-called Scum Towns as per the Dutch suggestion. To be joined let it be said by settled people who are equally troublesome.

Clanrickard

Are you sure your allowed to name the town!
As it is on Clare FM's website and the Champion's site I think that has been done already.

Asparagus

There is no such thing as "settled people" - you are confusing them with "regular people"

ShoutingIsLeadership

What have you got to say about the actual burning of the accommodation, Clanrickard?

Clanrickard

What have you got to say about the actual burning of the accommodation, Clanrickard?
First off we don't know who did it. I would think it is either a feud or possibly some local vigilantes trying to oust the pavees. The first is more likely. Housing people in ghettos like this is asking for trouble.That said Ashline has been targeted before so there is a certain amount of doziness on the part of the Guards and Clare County Council in not being prepared for further attacks of this when they eventually happen.

Mentalist Clientelist

2 houses damaged after fire at Ennis Traveller site | clare.fm

2 houses on the Ashline site were burned and the other 4 are boarded up after previous arson attacks. Something needs to be done because Clare is becoming a joke as regards accommodation for Pavees. Even the normally PC Greens are aghast 34 Million Traveller Accommodation Costs Insane | Councillor Brian MeaneyCouncillor Brian Meaney while the Clare Champion described Ashline as " a war zone" Ashline Traveller scheme a. 1.7 million not including maintenance has been spent on his site alone. You would have to ask as to the efficacy of housing people who don't want to be housed or who simply refuse to behave properly. Are we getting to the point where those Travelers who refuse to integrate are to be sent to the so-called Scum Towns as per the Dutch suggestion. To be joined let it be said by settled people who are equally troublesome.

But but but they're an endangered culture.......

B

Boggle

First off we don't know who did it. I would think it is either a feud or possibly some local vigilantes trying to oust the pavees. The first is more likely. Housing people in ghettos like this is asking for trouble.That said Ashline has been targeted before so there is a certain amount of doziness on the part of the Guards and Clare County Council in not being prepared for further attacks of this when they eventually happen.
Is there anything the guards or cc can do?

Install sprinklers in traveler accommodation in case they try to burn each other out or in case they are so bad the neighbours burn them out?

ShoutingIsLeadership

What are pavees?

Vigilantes tend to gather when something illegal has happened but isn't being dealt with by the authorities. Is living in a house provided by the State now illegal?

Do you condem these actions?

Quadrangle

I would think it is either a feud or possibly some local vigilantes trying to oust the pavees.
From reading the Irish Times, this was two houses burnt down in an area where no one has lived for 5 months? Surely miscreants is a much more likely scenario?

Asparagus

But but but they're an endangered culture.......
Travelling in ireland, made a lot of sense in the days of horse drawn wagons - but now you can travel ireland from tip to toe in 4 hours...
deporting them all to asia, or antarctica or some other large expanse of land seems the only way to protect their culture

elliebee

There is no such thing as "settled people" - you are confusing them with "regular people"
Fully agree. Surely it should be settled travellers and to my mind the remainder should be referred to as the general population,

Who started this "settled" people craic anyway, was it Pavee Point and why are we so willing to adopt their language as they refer us?

Asparagus

What are pavees?

Vigilantes tend to gather when something illegal has happened but isn't being dealt with by the authorities. Is living in a house provided by the State now illegal?

Do you condem these actions?
Fianna Fail are vigilantes now?

Asparagus

Fully agree. Surely it should be settled travellers and to my mind the remainder should be referred to as the general population,

Who started this "settled" people craic anyway, was it Pavee Point and why are we so willing to adopt their language as they refer us?
Because the 166 handwringers, bleeding hearts, slopey shoulder and backboneless snake oil salesmen in leinster house would rather wreck the irish culture than offend anyone.

Clanrickard

Clanrickard

I know who Pavee Point is; I'm wondering why you are referring to Travellers as Pavees.
They call themselves Pavees. That is why it is Pavee Point.

I'm not getting at anything. Why do you condemn it?
WTF? Because it is wrong to burn down houses. Happy now?