• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

CptSternn

Traveller housing legal quandary

She claimed the views of Travellers were constantly ignored when group housing schemes were being built, like the option of continuing traditions such as looking after horses or having a mobile home on the site...

...some Traveller dwellings are too small to accommodate large families with up to nine children, she claimed when Travellers tried to raise concerns about accommodation through the Equality Tribunal, these investigations were halted by the council, which took a failed High Court injunction that is now being appealed in the Supreme Court.

So there is a 27% vacancy in housing specifically made available for Travellers, however, the Travellers refuse to accept these accommodations and are taking the County Council to court because they feel these FREE accommodations they have been offered in new estates do not meet their needs as they do not provide areas for their horses, areas for their mobile homes, and of course do not accommodate for families that have nine children or more.

Clanrickard

So there is a 27% vacancy in housing specifically made available for Travellers, however, the Travellers refuse to accept these accommodations and are taking the County Council to court because they feel these FREE accommodations they have been offered in new estates do not meet their needs as they do not provide areas for their horses, areas for their mobile homes, and of course do not accommodate for families that have nine children or more.

Clare County Council have pissed loads up against the wall and all they do is whinge. It is an obscenity. There should be no special favours for any group. Decades of grievance mongering coming home to roost.

Mushroom

This is one of the very few times in the past 18 months that I've felt genuinely relieved that Phil Hogan is our current Minister for the Environment and not John Gormley.

The Lighthouse Keeper

Give them a site and let them build it themselves.
I doubt they would get too far.
Even the tarmac job would be dodgy!

Useless Parasites!

Spirit Of Newgrange

put them up in the Savoy or the Ritz, any posh hotel on english soil will do fine

Sancho

I heard recently of a halting site near Limerick city centre, where a separate building had been setup for communal cooking and clothes drying with a big coal-fired range. The travellers called to complain the range was broken. Guy calls out. Discovers the problem is that in 6 months nobody had cleaned the range out. He says 'you have to clean the range out every now and again'. They say 'no we don't that's not our job, that's your job.'

Apparently, he had a dozen stories like this. He is just looking forward to retirement.

Politics matters

It sickens me that the council will allocate a home to a family of Nigerians who contributed nothing to our society or economy.Yet they will not respect the culture of OUR own people.

Dan_Murphy

It sickens me that the council will allocate a home to a family of Nigerians who contributed nothing to our society or economy.Yet they will not respect the culture of OUR own people.

Neutron

Banned
Simple equality is all we need.

Give them the same rights as everyone else. If they dont like it treat them like anyone else. TOUGH.

southwestkerry

Last edited:
Last edited:
As far as I am concerned if some one is on the list and says no to an offer off an house... they are then on their own. Yes. drop them off the list, sadly I am sure thats a bit too right wing for some and I even suspect its against some kind off human rights law!

wombat

Not enough copper in the place boss

Victor Meldrew

This cr@p about having 9 kids.

We have 2. because that is all we can afford.

We'd love to have up to 4. but we cannot afford that.

If you have 9 you are not rearing them all, you cannot cope with their emotional and practical needs. It is just fecklessness masquerading as culture.

daveL

As far as I am concerned if some one is on he list and says no to an offer off an house... they are then on their own. Yes. drop them off the list, sadly I am sure thats a bit too right wing for some and I even suspect its against some kind off human rights law!

Turning down a house being handed to you on the back of someone else's taxes should immediately send you to the end of the list.

ergo2

I have been dealing with tfavellers for over 40 years.

Many do not appreciate what is done for them,

Their "support groups" encourage all kinds of cod claims.

Talk to any housing officer in your local council

Knapaghbeg

The age profile the so called settled and traveller communities differ vastly.

There are few old travellers while they breed at a very young age and have several children. This all feeds ito their housing need profile.

Travellers insist on being different and insist we acknowledge that difference. Their way of life does not seem condusive to neither good health or long life.

http://paveepoint.ie/sitenua/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/SettledPyramid.jpg

http://paveepoint.ie/sitenua/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TravPyramid.jpg

•The Life expectancy for Traveller women is now 70.1 years, which is 11.5 years less than women of the general population and is the equivalent to the life expectancy of the general population in the 1960’s.
•The life expectancy for Traveller men is 61.7 years, which is 15.1 years less than men in the general population. This is equivalent to the life expectancy of the general population in the 1940’s.

Pavee Point Travellers' Centre

johnny365

Its seems the Travellers want the house and the caravan and space for huge amounts of Children all sponsored by a bankrupt state that cuts home helps to the country. What a joke they should be offered the same as everyone else.

ShoutingIsLeadership

A court will only award "them" what 'they' are entitled to under Irish law.

Are 'they' not to have a right to attempt to vindicate what 'they' perceive to be 'their' rights?

The repeated use of "them" on this thread is noteworthy, in my mind.

ipod

Banned
The age profile the so called settled and traveller communities differ vastly.

There are few old travellers while they breed at a very young age and have several children. This all feeds ito their housing need profile.

Travellers insist on being different and insist we acknowledge that difference. Their way of life does not seem condusive to neither good health or long life.

http://paveepoint.ie/sitenua/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/SettledPyramid.jpg

http://paveepoint.ie/sitenua/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TravPyramid.jpg
What have Pavee Point done for travellers except encourage these excessive demands ?
How many travellers work for Pavee Point ? I mean full time
What is the profile of the employees of Pavee Point ?

•The Life expectancy for Traveller women is now 70.1 years, which is 11.5 years less than women of the general population and is the equivalent to the life expectancy of the general population in the 1960’s.
•The life expectancy for Traveller men is 61.7 years, which is 15.1 years less than men in the general population. This is equivalent to the life expectancy of the general population in the 1940’s.

Pavee Point Travellers' Centre

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom