• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

flavirostris

This tweet is pretty much nail on head

BACKTOBASICS

Why would they need any of those, sure don't they just do what they want and everyone is afraid to do anything about it.
They are a law unto themselves, and the police are only interested in us, who pay all the taxes and their wages.

The travellers pay nothing.

Peppermint

They are a law unto themselves, and the police are only interested in us, who pay all the taxes and their wages.

The travellers pay nothing.
So you at least recognize 'they' are different to us? How do you define/recognise a traveller?

storybud1

On the bright side ,, if this ethnic minority wish to be recorded as such in all interaction with the taxpayers of Ireland government service (in essence the government serve us) then records will be available quite quickly, a FOI request in a few years if Ireland ever produces a journalist,

Social welfare costs in all its intricate glory and details,
Crime rates,
Housing allowance rates,
Money spent on halting sites
Legal aid
Education achievements in the fields of science etc,
Amounts seized by the CAB,
and finally,,, Taxes paid ? now that would be a good laugh,

1 billion spent on all of the above and practically nothing, Zip, sweetfookall coming back to the exchequer.

I must be fooking dreaming that Ireland would ever produce a journalist,

BACKTOBASICS

Last edited:
Last edited:
So you at least recognize 'they' are different to us? How do you define/recognise a traveller?
It is hard to "recognise" a traveller, they all look the same - is it because they marry their own cousins? Ask them to open their mouths, and their habit of saying "stand back now", "fair play now lads", "give them room", "fair fight", "good fight", "shake hands", "break lads", "no biting", "keep it 'claine' ". - does that help you?

Anyway, to get a "definitive" answer, ring Pavee Point, and they will explain all that to you (it might take an hour) as they are the travellers quango and are paid to answer your queries - I'm not.

I hope that goes some way to to ease your dilemma by helping you to recognise 'them' (your words).

By the way, I was accosted/threatened by two travellers a couple of years ago, when I blew my horn at them for passing me on a bend. They then doubled back and chased me a couple of miles and I did not notice that they had, until they opened my passenger side car door and pushed a screw driver into my face.
I decided discretion was the better part of valour and told them the driver in front of them was too close to them and I was trying to warn them! This confused them as they expected aggression and they made an expletion
and backed off.

Since then, I have no time for them, and their 'culture', and their little quango, with constant accusations of "racism", when things don't go their way.

Brenny

So WHY do we treat them like scum?
We treat them as different.
But when they say they are different, we claim NO too?
If you were a traveller, what would YOU do?

Do you treat traveller's as your neighbours?
When you see some caravans moving into your town, do you think great I must welcome them?
When you occasionally meet some travellers, out and about, do you, curse them, ignore them, walk off grumbling about them..... Or talk to them?
You want to see them as different, but when they claim they are different, you have a problem?
My wife is friends with a woman who was born into a traveller family but does not live that lifestyle anymore. There's quite a few people like that in the Rathkeale and Newcastlewest area who have ENTIRELY left the traveller lifestyle behind. I would have a problem with anyone pulling up beside my house in a mobile home and just deciding that they are gonna live there for the foreseeable future and it would not make any difference if that person was officially a member of an minority ethnic group.

On the bright side ,, if this ethnic minority wish to be recorded as such in all interaction with the taxpayers of Ireland government service (in essence the government serve us) then records will be available quite quickly, a FOI request in a few years if Ireland ever produces a journalist,

Social welfare costs in all its intricate glory and details,
Crime rates,
Housing allowance rates,
Money spent on halting sites
Legal aid
Education achievements in the fields of science etc,
Amounts seized by the CAB,
and finally,,, Taxes paid ? now that would be a good laugh,

1 billion spent on all of the above and practically nothing, Zip, sweetfookall coming back to the exchequer.

I must be fooking dreaming that Ireland would ever produce a journalist,
You don't need to be a journalist to file an FOI request but you'd become a renowned one if you did and got the data you seem to think exists.

OrderoftheDragon

Monumentally stupid.. ridiculous.. absurd.. What the fnck are you doing Enda. First Zappone and the man-child refugees from Calais and now this.

Fianna Fail are laughing.
fg self imploding the dumb schmucks......

flavirostris

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
More madness there no more a sepret ethnic group than i am. A different culture for some of them thats it, iv met travelers who didn't follow the dominant traveler culture.
What made them travellers then if they "didn't follow the dominant traveler culture"?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The travellers have Norman names like Barrett, Ward and native Irish names like Connors, Maughan, and therefore are not ethnically different to most Irish.

Enda of the (Ireland is a great little country in which to do 'business')- crooked business, has lost his sense of judgement (but then again the man never had any to begin with), but as a consequence of this granting of ethnicity to travellers, just like the illegal immigration question, when the Muslims get a grip here, they too will try to push for ethnic status (and Sharia Law) - and the Jewish community (deserving) will too. The large numbers of EU people (Polish) etc, living in Ireland would be entitled to seek ethnicity also.

Come on, let's get the ball rolling.

But what about the rest of the majority ordinary genuine Joe Soaps' who have the same Norman and Irish names, who pay the taxes, they should apply too. But of course they are walked on because no politician support them or are interested in setting up a quango to further their ethnicity too.

Politicians in general are showing their liberal PC'ism, and simply walk all over the majority who are silly enough to vote for them.

Our politicians are indeed gob************************es - they hand out freebies left right and centre, to illegal Muslim migrants and out of control travellers, and they think this 'progressive', but the question we all must continue to ask - where is the dosh/money going to come from to support these hair-brained schemes they continue to inflict upon us.

If they're ethnically Irish then when did they start "travelling"?

If all that separates them from the rest of Irish society is their attitude to settling down in one place then is that really the basis for them to be considered to be of a separate ethnicity?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Travellers are the only group recognised, if anything it's discriminatory and racist. It comes back to what I said all along, travellers want superior rights not equal rights.

Expect massive ligation of pubs, restaurants, hotels etc. Similar to when the equality authority had to be virtually wound down because it was being used as a vehicle by travellers to extort money from pubs and clubs. It got so ludicrous that travellers even demanded envelopes from some pubs in order to not take legal proceedings.

Can't everybody else just claim that they are of traveller ethnicity too, and start abusing the gravy train?

How does one go about proving that one is a traveller? Is there a licensing authority, or a blood test that is available?

If challenged that you don't actually travel can't you just claim to be a settled traveller?

Therightroad

It's coming to the stage that anyone in modest employment should give up ... become a traveller , never again work a day in your life and get everything paid for by those who persist in working !
Fine Gael are rewarding parasite behaviours ??

Eoin Coir

where was the the call for this recognition coming from. Travellers are Irish with Irish names. Wait till we have to extend similar status to Chinese, Blacks, etc

Eoin Coir

Can't everybody else just claim that they are of traveller ethnicity too, and start abusing the gravy train?

How does one go about proving that one is a traveller? Is there a licensing authority, or a blood test that is available?

If challenged that you don't actually travel can't you just claim to be a settled traveller?
I know three familes of 3rd generation travellers who are settled, are they still travellers. The have nice cars, good houses paid for by state, but never work, or go on training courses.

flavirostris

Will they ever wise up. The electorate don't reward this sort of shít at the voting booth.

FG need to learn that the media have a completely different agenda to the voters ( the ones who matter ).

Where was their reward for POLDP bill or SSM for that matter.

TakeitAll

Travellers are the only group recognised, if anything it's discriminatory and racist. It comes back to what I said all along, travellers want superior rights not equal rights.

Expect massive ligation of pubs, restaurants, hotels etc. Similar to when the equality authority had to be virtually wound down because it was being used as a vehicle by travellers to extort money from pubs and clubs. It got so ludicrous that travellers even demanded envelopes from some pubs in order to not take legal proceedings.
Never mind all your questions. How about a few answers. What exactly is this ethnicity about. I think the problem a lot of people have with travellers is their attitude. Am sure there are decent travellers in the same way as there are decent people but so many of them, a majority not a minority, just don't abide by any of our rules, whether it be taxation, policing or just having basic manners. So many of them just don't give a sh1te as they know other people mainly fear violence or even just a scene and they can pretty much do what they want.

Karloff

You'd have to wonder if FG are angling after some of that traveller gang dosh with this. Imagine if they started using it to buy up politicians the way some other 'ethnic groups' do, fifteen years ago i would have looked at this and thought there are some high minded ethically oriented people at the top to be so caring for travellers and other vulnerable people - yes Mary Robinson had my brain, the last fifteen years of watching what happens with identity politics has changed how i view these things.

bogtrotter

There are no real travellers anymore, they are mostly settled....When they travelled the roads in years gone by they were called tinkers as they performed a function in society, repairing pots and pans....That is long in the past and they no longer are any different from the rest of us. Kenny has lost the plot...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom