Travellers disgrace their community again

Dorris

They disgrace thier community??? Their whole community IS a disgrace. People try to make out that the Travellors are victims of social exclusion and racism. Although I fail to see any racism since they are supposed to be Irish so Irish people being prejudiced to travellers cant actually by racism. Then again, prejudism is not as headline grabbing is it.

It is rare to see a traveller as a decent human being. I've encountered a few in my time and none of them really enamoured me to their "way of life" or them as a human being. They constantly try to get the rest of us to accomodate them and their ways, however, they are the ones who should try to assimilate into our society instead of keeping themselves on the fringes all the time. If there are factions of the travelloer community worthy of what they strive for, then they should sort the rest of their own community out. Oh no of course, they couldn't possible dream of doing that, could they?

Your second sentence denies you any voice on the subject. You'll still rant on,

but it won't make any difference to those who know otherwise.

Last edited:

Antóin Mac Comháin

Their lives of crime..
[video=youtube_share;NqnIWxBq2Jw]https://youtu.be/NqnIWxBq2Jw[/video]
Donegal TV - Sean McEniff's 80th Birthday Tribute

[video=youtube_share;7D1ed0T4Ji0]https://youtu.be/7D1ed0T4Ji0[/video]
Fianna Fail Cllr Sean McEniff -Ballyshannon house burnt after his remarks of Incitement to Hatred

''wasnt it Sean mceniff the bloke who rang the police in 1977 during the mary Boyle investigation and was it him who told the police to back of the main suspect in the rape and murder of the child''

People had enough, a few local lads who shoot, knocked the door and showed them a shotgun and told them to leave.
I've said it time and time again, culturally there are huge similarities between black people and Travelers.
You need to calm down and read my post again. Elected representatives?
I had a post removed for asking Herr Rommel a question, so I'll leave you to ponder what you said in the posts above.

Hitchcock

One of the problems with getting ethnic status is that you get reported separately - hence the 25 x statistic, which I'm glad to say no one is disputing.

Of course there's a

Criminality isn't the preserve of the travelers - no one is saying that, but without specific stats by post code it's impossible to draw any comparisons, but criminality is a spectrum and travelers do seem to be at the "most criminal" end being 2500% more likely to wind up in prison at any point in time.
Again your post is bereft of any sort of analysis or thought, just lazy stats. There maybe an absence of stats (there have been studies and I'll try to locate them) but are you seriously suggesting that there could be similar levels of people in Mountjoy with addresses in Dublin 1 as Dublin 4?

Telstar 62

Broadcaster Pat Kenny and his wife, Kathy, are opposing plans for three apartment blocks and seven houses
on a site next to their Dalkey home.

The same guy who railed against bigotry towards Travellers by Casey.:sneaky:

Just as well it's not a Traveller camp or accomodation!!! :roflmao:

blinding

Broadcaster Pat Kenny and his wife, Kathy, are opposing plans for three apartment blocks and seven houses
on a site next to their Dalkey home.

The same guy who railed against bigotry towards Travellers by Casey.:sneaky:

Just as well it's not a Traveller camp or accomodation!!! :roflmao:
:thumbsup:

paulp

Travellers are 25 times more likely to serve prison time than the national average.

25 times.

It's hardly outrageous to draw the conclusion that criminality is a very significant influence in their culture.
Black people in the US are 5 times more likely to serve prison time than white people,

Are you drawing the same conclusion there?

Disillusioned democrat

Black people in the US are 5 times more likely to serve prison time than white people,

There's a BIG difference between 5 times and 25 times...an ethnic minority being 25 times more likely to be a convicted criminal than the rest of the population certainly paints a picture of underlying criminality in that ethnic minorities "culture".

I have very limited experience of African Americans in the US - despite living their for 4 years - because by and large they haven't integrated homogenously across the states. Despite being 13% of the overall population there are some states in the 48 where the African American population is as low as 1%.

Where African Americans are in the same relative population as Travellers in Ireland (say Utah, New Hampshire, North and South Dakota, Idaho) I don't believe they are 25 times more likely to be convicted criminals and can't find any evidence that they are, so I don't think the same conclusions can be drawn.

__e621

Again your post is bereft of any sort of analysis or thought, just lazy stats. There maybe an absence of stats (there have been studies and I'll try to locate them) but are you seriously suggesting that there could be similar levels of people in Mountjoy with addresses in Dublin 1 as Dublin 4?
I'm not sure what your aversion to the several posters providing statistics is driven by. In order to formulate evidence-based policy, the number one requirement is evidence. How else can you provide clear direction to various education, welfare, policing, health and other services to cater for travellers without having robust data to work from?

Nobody has suggested that there is an inherent level of criminality in D1 residents vs D4 residents - you seem to be drawing that conclusion from a wilful misreading of how they are presenting the statistics. If you want to call high crime rates and low levels of educational attainment "culture", then why not, perhaps some D1 residents have such a "culture". As do travellers. It is irrelevant what you want to call the situation, but they are problems that need to be addressed.

Government and voluntary services have spent vast quantities of time and money on this section of the community over many years - possibly to the detriment of more worthy causes. Taxpayers deserve something in return.

Levellers

When you consider the number of black death row inmates who were freed due to DNA shows that they faced a biased racist 'justice system'.

Disillusioned democrat

When you consider the number of black death row inmates who were freed due to DNA shows that they faced a biased racist 'justice system'.
Okay - take out the 5:1 ratio for the biased racist justice system and that still leaves a 20:1 ratio of traveller to average citizen.

Methinks that still suggests a criminal bent in the culture.

Even in the way they've always differentiated themselves from the "settled" community so that the culture is such that crime against the "settled" people is victimless because, sure, aren't the travelers the REAL victims?

Disillusioned democrat

I'm not sure what your aversion to the several posters providing statistics is driven by. In order to formulate evidence-based policy, the number one requirement is evidence. How else can you provide clear direction to various education, welfare, policing, health and other services to cater for travellers without having robust data to work from?

Nobody has suggested that there is an inherent level of criminality in D1 residents vs D4 residents - you seem to be drawing that conclusion from a wilful misreading of how they are presenting the statistics. If you want to call high crime rates and low levels of educational attainment "culture", then why not, perhaps some D1 residents have such a "culture". As do travellers. It is irrelevant what you want to call the situation, but they are problems that need to be addressed.

Government and voluntary services have spent vast quantities of time and money on this section of the community over many years - possibly to the detriment of more worthy causes. Taxpayers deserve something in return.
I see the basic mistake you're making here....you've assumed that the government gives a flying puck about tax payers.

I often get the impression that our public representatives have nothing but contempt for tax payers as weak incompetent fools who aren't smart enough to avoid paying tax like all their smart cronies. Once collected, tax becomes "theirs" to spend as they see fit and the only time they worry about pretending to care is in the run up to the next election.

artfoley56

but we're not in America, there's no death penalty and we're not talking about blacks.

simple fact is that even with the numbers in prison, there's still huge numbers roaming free due to being afforded the benefit of the probation act, on the basis of their ethnicity

Levellers

but we're not in America, there's no death penalty and we're not talking about blacks.
You should read the whole debate before jumping in with an ill-informed view.

The usual racist on here was compering criminal rates between black people and Travellers. He was claiming US black criminal rates as the same as black Irish criminal rates. Two very different propositions.

artfoley56

The usual racist on here was compering criminal rates between black people and Travellers. He was claiming US black criminal rates as the same as black Irish criminal rates. Two very different propositions.
maybe so, but the second point of my post stands

Lagertha

Gardai are having a day of action in Clare to highlight the problems with gangs of Travelers terrorising the county. A day isn't much but it's a start and good to see them calling a spade a spade for a change and pointing out that it is Travelers that are doing this. How long until Pavee Point jump in and start shouting racism I wonder? All Travelers are related, with the amount of inbreeding they have to be. There can't be a single Traveler in Clare who doesn't know who the scumbag relatives of theirs that are terrorising the elderly are and they condone it by not reporting them. They could anonymously contact Crime Stoppers but they don't, why is that?

Clare Gardaí Target Travelling Criminals In Day Of Action - Clare FM

Lagertha

I've reported your posts. You are a poster who frequently post abusive remarks about other posters and I will continue to report every single abusive comment you make about me. You need to be reminded that you aren't in the playground now.

blinding

Gardai are having a day of action in Clare to highlight the problems with gangs of Travelers terrorising the county. A day isn't much but it's a start and good to see them calling a spade a spade for a change and pointing out that it is Travelers that are doing this. How long until Pavee Point jump in and start shouting racism I wonder? All Travelers are related, with the amount of inbreeding they have to be. There can't be a single Traveler in Clare who doesn't know who the scumbag relatives of theirs that are terrorising the elderly are and they condone it by not reporting them. They could anonymously contact Crime Stoppers but they don't, why is that?

Clare Gardaí Target Travelling Criminals In Day Of Action - Clare FM
Rural Crime is a huge Problem in Ireland . There should be an Anti - Rural Crime Candidate in every Rural constituency at the next election . The other political parties have had their time . They have done nothing and they are going to do nothing .

If we keep on doing the same thing over and over again we will get the same results .

Hitchcock

'm not sure what your aversion to the several posters providing statistics is driven by. In order to formulate evidence-based policy, the number one requirement is evidence. How else can you provide clear direction to various education, welfare, policing, health and other services to cater for travellers without having robust data to work from?
I see you're 'new' but you seem to have picked up some bad habits already.

I don't have an aversion to posters providing stats, it's the manner and (mis) use of them that I'm questioning.

Statistics are important but they only tell part of the story, statistics can be used in a variety of disingenuous ways - we witnessed that with the anti public sector campaign of sections of the establishment in the immediate aftermath of the 2008 crash. Bald stats about average pay rates in the PS were wheeled out with little interrogation, it was dishonest and told us very little but it suited an agenda. Darryl Huff was writing about this approach to stats in the 50s others have built on that analysis - you should investigate it.

Nobody has suggested that there is an inherent level of criminality in D1 residents vs D4 residents - you seem to be drawing that conclusion from a wilful misreading of how they are presenting the statistics.
I think you're mis reading or mis understanding my point. I used D1 and D4/6 as an analogous example.

If you want to call high crime rates and low levels of educational attainment "culture", then why not, perhaps some D1 residents have such a "culture". As do travellers. It is irrelevant what you want to call the situation, but they are problems that need to be addressed.
Did you see any of the posters I responded to use the term 'culture' to non Travellers, it is wheeled out specifically when discussing Travellers. You'll also note that none of the posters excoriating Travellers have engaged with the issues related to the settled community - it's a road they refuse to go precisely because it will expose their anti Traveler bias.

I was wondering when the mask would fully slip! What evidence do you have that time and money for Travellers has meant the suffering of other sections of the community? Perhaps in your leap to defend the statistics bearing posters you're supporting you missed the stats about cuts to Traveler education programmes up to 90% , or the unspent money on Traveler accommodation - none councils spent nothing and only 67% drawn down over ten years - yeah support for Travellers is the problem!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1106/1009076-travellers-housing-committee/

Hitchcock

Rural Crime is a huge Problem in Ireland . There should be an Anti - Rural Crime Candidate in every Rural constituency at the next election . The other political parties have had their time . They have done nothing and they are going to do nothing .

If we keep on doing the same thing over and over again we will get the same results .
Rural Crime is a huge Problem in Ireland .
Define 'huge' and is there actual evidence for this, it's almost cliched at this stage.

Lagertha

Granting them ethnic status just made them worse because now they feel untouchable. It will be interesting to watch the crime statistics rise. I pity the people living in rural Ireland, especially the elderly who must feel extremely vulnerable. These gangs pick the most vulnerable and isolated to pick on. It has an horrific impact on an elderly person when their home is burgled, not just because of what is stolen, but because they will never again feel safe in their home. But hey, those big Communion dresses and the limousines to the church don't come cheap, someone has to pay for them and sure Daddy will get out on day release so he won't miss out on the Communion day.