Travellers protest arrival of Syrian refugees

O

Oscurito

This is a breaking story and I don't see a thread anywhere dealing with it. If there is one, let me know and I'll report this OP requesting a merge.

It starts with the arrival this afternoon of a group of Syrian refugees in Castlebar. The response has generally been welcoming but a group of Travellers has been protesting outside the town hall - claiming that some of them are on the housing list already, waiting for accommodation. They claim that the Syrians have been given priority and that Irish citizens should take precedence.

Between now and the end of next month, 17 Syrian refugee families will be re-housed in Mayo.

More here:
RTÉ News: Protest in Mayo after house allocated to refugees

talkingshop

This is a breaking story and I don't see a thread anywhere dealing with it. If there is one, let me know and I'll report this OP requesting a merge.

It starts with the arrival this afternoon of a group of Syrian refugees in Castlebar. The response has generally been welcoming but a group of Travellers has been protesting outside the town hall - claiming that some of them are on the housing list already, waiting for accommodation. They claim that the Syrians have been given priority and that Irish citizens should take precedence.

More here:
Protest in Mayo after house allocated to refugees
The media won't know who to support...:)

Ireland is Different!

The Lefty Liberals heads will explode on this one...only those with split personalties will be able to handle it:lol:

asset test

The Syrians will be grand, the Travellers will want room for a few horses, and a caravan and a few '16 jeeps so they'll reject every offer anyway as not meeting their cultural requirements.

No contest.

Strawberry

Travellers not immune to the same prejudices as everyone else shocker. :roll:

Dub01

Strawberry

It isn`t racist to want homeless Irish people housed before homeless foreigners.
Yes it is. People should be homed on the basis of need, not nationality, as long as they have legal permission to be in the country.

darkhorse

The absolute cheek of them
They, who demand extended-family compounds free from the State and then work for a lifetime on the black, protest about a bit of charity shown to a few helpless refugees
Unbelievable

Ireland is Different!

So, Syrians are being housed on local authority housing estates, in some cases next door to Travellers. And it's November. And it's Castlebar.

I'd say Aleppo doesn't look so bad after all

Catalpast

Well the OP beat me to it...

But fair play to the Travellers for making a stand

No doubt they will be housed in double quick time after this

- as the last thing the Establishment want is this sick policy of housing foreigners ahead of Irish People exposed

I would encourage any group of Irish folks in Blanchardstown to publicly protest as well

In Fingal Co Co over half the people on the housing list

- are not even Irish!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Between now and the end of next month, 17 Syrian refugee families will be re-housed in Mayo.

More here:

Please. This is not the USA. We do not protest something, we protest AGAINST something.

Does my head in!

GDPR

More here:
Well done to the Travellers. It's an absolute disgrace that Irish people have been on the housing list for years on end, but terrorist supporting Sunni extremists can walk into the country and be given a house straight away.

Strawberry

Well done to the Travellers. It's an absolute disgrace that Irish people have been on the housing list for years on end, but terrorist supporting Sunni extremists can walk into the country and be given a house straight away.
How do you know they're not Syrian Christians?

ShoutingIsLeadership

The Lefty Liberals heads will explode on this one...only those with split personalties will be able to handle it:lol:

And the right wing racist loons won't be able to do anything other than comment on the thoughts of the left, because the racists would happily fnck all of them out of the country

asset test

I'd hand the issue over to Mary Robinson. She of the UNHCR and from Mayo. She'd be a great mediator.

New Threads

Most Replies