Trawling the (virtual) archives

statsman

One of the pleasures of the Internet is coming across things that were first published some time ago as 'news' but that now have interest as historical documents. I thought it would be good to have a thread on which these gems could be shared, and to start things off, here are two from the New York Review of Books archive:

A review of two films, Easy Rider and Alice's Restaurant first published on Jan 1st, 1970.

And The Chicago Conspiracy Trial: Allen Ginsberg on the Stand, from Feb 12th of that same year.

A lot of memories for me, at least.

McTell

Twitter
No
Please Sir, what's a lesbian?

gatsbygirl20

"Who Breaks A Butterfly On A Wheel?"
This quotation from Alexander Pope was the headline in the Times editorial on July 1sr 1967

Written by the editor William Rees Mogg (incredibly, father to the creepy Jacob) it challenged the harshness of the sentence imposed on Mick Jagger and Keith Richards after the Redlands drug bust

It was widely believed that there was police corruption and a concerted attempt by the Establishment to "get" the Stones.

The plea for clemency from the illustrious Rees-Mogg brought about a sea change in attitudes generally to the counter-culture and to the use of soft drugs

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/who-breaks-a-butterfly-on-a-wheel-williamreesmoggs-original-leader-in-full-l5zhdcm7g

gatsbygirl20

I'd love to spend a month or two going through the Private Eye Archives, especially round the time of the Thorpe/Newton/Norman Scott trial.... poor Rinka!
Me too, Cruimh

This is a great thread, but so addictive that not a dinner will be cooked in the Gatsby household if I continue trawling my favourites..

Mitsui2

One of the pleasures of the Internet is coming across things that were first published some time ago as 'news' but that now have interest as historical documents. I thought it would be good to have a thread on which these gems could be shared, and to start things off, here are two from the New York Review of Books archive:

A review of two films, Easy Rider and Alice's Restaurant first published on Jan 1st, 1970.

And The Chicago Conspiracy Trial: Allen Ginsberg on the Stand, from Feb 12th of that same year.

A lot of memories for me, at least.
The Ginsberg testimony report is a hoot. The seemingly irreversible tendency to portray the whole 60s scene in terms of a sort of cartoon populated by dope-addled hairy hippies has represented a great loss to later generations of activists, I think, but you can see where it came from. The degree to which much of its thinking represented a continuation of earlier American traditions has grown lost in the cartoon version. Same applies to the UK scene, of course.

The Chicago events gave rise to my favourite Freudian slip of all time, when Mayor Daley said "The policeman isn't there to create disorder; the policeman is there to preserve disorder."

I presume you've read Miami and the Siege of Chicago?

statsman

The Ginsberg testimony report is a hoot. The seemingly irreversible tendency to portray the whole 60s scene in terms of a sort of cartoon populated by dope-addled hairy hippies has represented a great loss to later generations of activists, I think, but you can see where it came from. The degree to which much of its thinking represented a continuation of earlier American traditions has grown lost in the cartoon version. Same applies to the UK scene, of course.

The Chicago events gave rise to my favourite Freudian slip of all time, when Mayor Daley said "The policeman isn't there to create disorder; the policeman is there to preserve disorder."

Yep, interesting book.

making waves

Online archives are one of the major benefits of the internet - global access to millions who wouldn't otherwise be able to access these archives.

Now if we could just get all these archives out in front of the paywalls.

gatsbygirl20

Miami And The Siege Of Chicago is one of my favourite books

Socratus O' Pericles

Eircell Launch Mobile Telephone System 1985

RTÉ Archives | Technology | First Mobile Phone Launch

Chairman of Telecom Éireann Michael Smurfit launches the new Eircell mobile telephone system in the National Concert Hall in Dublin.

Minister for Communications Jim Mitchell made the inaugural telephone call to RTÉ broadcaster Pat Kenny who was out and about on the streets of Dublin when he took the call. A good humoured chat about Pat Kenny’s best dressed man award of the year ensued. When the minister asked how an an interviewer in RTÉ can afford to be best dressed man, Pat Kenny replied

Well it’s quite simple really minister, in RTÉ we can dress for half price because we only have to dress from the waist up.

Eircell is based on a cellular principle and involves reusing radio channels. Prices start at £1400 plus VAT, but the phones can be leased. Telecom Éireann director Chris Lowe also sees the new technology being used by businessmen, sales representatives, in the medical field or just for anyone on the move, needing to be contactable.

Who wudda thunk? They were only a bleedin' gimmick according to my Da.

gatsbygirl20

https://www.thestar.com/

Richard Nixon predicted that Justin Trudeau would one day be Prime Minister

At a gala dinner in Ottowa during a state visit by Nixon in 1972, Pierre Tdudeau's baby son Justin was only a few months old

When he stood to toast Pierre Trudeau, in a typically Nixonian attempt at cheesy humour, Nixon raised his glass to the future Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau

"Tonight we'll dispense with the formalities--I'd like to toast the future Prime minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau" (much laughter)

statsman

Online archives are one of the major benefits of the internet - global access to millions who wouldn't otherwise be able to access these archives.

Now if we could just get all these archives out in front of the paywalls.
So far, nothing linked on here is behind a paywall.

Mitsui2

You could almost forgive the author for being Norman Mailer.
That is a sin for which, ultimately, there can be no final forgiveness. He did a few things that would earn him some time off for good behaviour, though, and the Miami book was definitely one of them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies