Trinidad and Tobago's High Court rules laws against Buggery Unconstitutional

USER1234

TRINIDAD: High Court Strikes Down Buggery Law

Trinidad’s High Court today ruled that the nation’s law against same-sex intimacy is unconstitutional. Justice Devindra Rampersad, who is presiding over the case, stated in his ruling: “The court declares that sections 13 and 16 of the [Sexual Offences Act] are unconstitutional, illegal, null, void, invalid and of no effect to the extent that these laws criminalise any acts constituting consensual sexual conduct between adults.” Sections 13 and 16 of that law criminalize buggery and indecency between adults. Trinidad inherited that law from its days as a British colony.

Several days ago hundreds of Christians protested against overturning the law, warning that doing so will inevitably lead to legalizing same-sex marriage. Trinidad and Tobago, population 1.3 million, gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1962.
Full story: Joemygod - TRINIDAD: High Court Strikes Down Buggery Law

My Comments:

1) while gay citizens there still face an up hill battle this is good news!

Dame_Enda

The majority of anti gay laws in the world today were originally introduced by the British empire in their colonies.

Dame_Enda

The term."buggery" was invented by the Inquisition or Papacy to refer to a Bulgarian "heretical" sent in the Middle Ages that they accused of "sodomy". Time for jurisdictions to remove such terminology from their statute books.

Morgellons

I'd say 'tis very sore all the same. Is it a kind of masochistic buzz or what has them at each other?

Last edited:

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The term."buggery" was invented by the Inquisition or Papacy to refer to a Bulgarian "heretical" sent in the Middle Ages that they accused of "sodomy". Time for jurisdictions to remove such terminology from their statute books.

What should they call it instead?

Anal penetration?

Spirit Of Newgrange

..still fairly backward in many of these countries with christian attitudes and all.

Dame_Enda

I wouldnt be that hopeful that this will stand, given the religious revival going on in South America and the Caribean. In one country (I think Bermuda) a ban was reinstated on same sex marriage I think after a court had struck it down.

Grin and don't bear it.

And they won't back down. It was a backward law. Hope it doesn't come back. They are looking forwards not backwards. Hopefully there will be no blowback from a backwards looking opposition........

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies