Tristram Hunt to step down as MP

statsman

Strawberry

Tristram Hunt, a critic of Corbyn, is to quit as MP for the marginal seat of Stoke-on-Trent Central to become director of the Victoria and Albert museum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/13/tristram-hunt-to-quit-as-mp-to-become-va-director

This by election will be a big test for Labour, Conservatives and UKIP, who came second in the GE. In that vote, Labour got 39.3%, UKIP and Con both got 22.6%, with just 33 votes between them. This is a definite Con target.
How is that a marginal seat when Labour have a 17% lead? That looks like a safe Labour seat to me.

statsman

How is that a marginal seat when Labour have a 17% lead? That looks like a safe Labour seat to me.
UKIP and the Tories have 45%. A bit of slippage in the Lab and UKIP votes would make it very close. Will UKIP even have a candidate?

Strawberry

UKIP and the Tories have 45%. A bit of slippage in the Lab and UKIP votes would make it very close. Will UKIP even have a candidate?
UKIP are apparently targetting Labour seats in the north of England so I would be surprised if they don't field a candidate.

borntorum

Another great day for Corbyn as a right wing Blairite warmongerer departs!

Or something like that, presumably.

statsman

UKIP are apparently targetting Labour seats in the north of England so I would be surprised if they don't field a candidate.
If true, then this becomes a test case for them. A new Lab candidate with no personal vote would be in a weak position, you'd think. But UKIP's core policy has been pulled out from under them.

fat finger

Tristram Hunt, a critic of Corbyn, is to quit as MP for the marginal seat of Stoke-on-Trent Central to become director of the Victoria and Albert museum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/13/tristram-hunt-to-quit-as-mp-to-become-va-director

This by election will be a big test for Labour, Conservatives and UKIP, who came second in the GE. In that vote, Labour got 39.3%, UKIP and Con both got 22.6%, with just 33 votes between them. This is a definite Con target.

Labour MP quits to become director of top museum. Good riddance. What Labour needs is real representation, people from the real hard bitten parts of the country, reps who've done the dirty work and have hands to show for it, reps who've felt the pain of poor education and unemployment. Hunt always came across as just too posh. And maybe he's figured out he won't make leader ever and has decided to resign (for the people of course).

statsman

Oooh! Popcorn time!
Yep. The first real test of Corbyn's vote-winning appeal will be Copeland, with this coming hot on its heels. If Lab manage to hold both seats, he's safe. If they lose both...

statsman

Labour MP quits to become director of top museum. Good riddance. What Labour needs is real representation, people from the real hard bitten parts of the country, reps who've done the dirty work and have hands to show for it, reps who've felt the pain of poor education and unemployment. Hunt always came across as just too posh. And maybe he's figured out he won't make leader ever and has decided to resign (for the people of course).
Funnily enough, he was elected by 'real' Labour voters. Ones who really voted.

A Voice

Depressing for the Blairites and moderates in the party to see this type of MP giving up. Labour really are going nowhere.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
New definition of "marginal"? The constituency has been Labour since it was created in 1950 and, by any objective standards, should be "safe" (the current Labour majority in 17%). But we live in interesting times.

What is intriguing is the decline in turn-out in the constituency: +/— 50% for the last four Elections. By general repute, it hasn't been "worked" by either major party; and one of the reasons Hunt was parachuted in was to inspire some energy. My guess is Hunt's departure is, in part, derived from the imminent demise of one of the three Stoke constituencies in the boundary review.

The town council had to be radically reshaped after a highly-critical report, by Professor Michael Clarke:
We are dismayed at the extent to which the city's political system is damaged. There is a deep-seated malaise in the city's politics. As a consequence, the people of Stoke-on-Trent have been short-changed.
Anyone who understands the changing alliances on the town council must have graduated from Kremlinology: there seem to be engrained but ever-changing personal antipathies at the root. One of the points of discord was the creation of an elected mayor and a cabinet system, a system which has lately been overturned.

The constituency is, by any standards, one of the more "deprived" areas in the West Midlands, and more so than the other two constituencies that comprise Stoke. Unemployment is on average higher by half than its surroundings, and near twice the national average.

Stoke-on-Trent (I haven't constituency breakdowns) voted 70-30 for #Brexit. The city tends to be mono-cultural: 95% self-describe as "white", just 3% as Moslem. Look for the St George's flags: they are symptomatic of an indecent number of ex-BNP and ex-NF adherents. UKIP hasn't (or hasn't wanted) to tap into this cesspit, and there is a single UKIP member on the town council.

Windowshopper

Funnily enough, he was elected by 'real' Labour voters. Ones who really voted.
And he's being making sounds that Labour needs to appeal beyond its activist base to win elections.

statsman

New definition of "marginal"? The constituency has been Labour since it was created in 1950 and, by any objective standards, should be "safe" (the current Labour majority in 17%). But we live in interesting times.

What is intriguing is the decline in turn-out in the constituency: +/— 50% for the last four Elections. By general repute, it hasn't been "worked" by either major party; and one of the reasons Hunt was parachuted in was to inspire some energy. My guess is Hunt's departure is, in part, derived from the imminent demise of one of the three Stoke constituencies in the boundary review.

The town council had to be radically reshaped after a highly-critical report, by Professor Michael Clarke:

Anyone who understands the changing alliances on the town council must have graduated from Kremlinology: there seem to be engrained but ever-changing personal antipathies at the root. One of the points of discord was the creation of an elected mayor and a cabinet system, a system which has lately been overturned.

The constituency is, by any standards, one of the more "deprived" areas in the West Midlands, and more so than the other two constituencies that comprise Stoke. Unemployment is on average higher by half than its surroundings, and near twice the national average.

Stoke-on-Trent (I haven't constituency breakdowns) voted 70-30 for #Brexit. The city tends to be mono-cultural: 95% self-describe as "white", just 3% as Moslem. Look for the St George's flags: they are symptomatic of an indecent number of ex-BNP and ex-NF adherents. UKIP hasn't (or hasn't wanted) to tap into this cesspit, and there is a single UKIP member on the town council.
Neat explanation of why it's a marginal, despite the GE result. A decent campaign by Con or UKIP should swing it.

Enigma Variations

I hope Labour lose heavily. Left of centre politics in the UK cannot flourish again until Corbynites grow up and realise that their man hasn't got a pup's chance of winning a general election, and he is condemning us to indefinite Tory rule as things presently stand.
Corbyn is the gift that keeps on giving to the right wing.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I hope Labour lose heavily. Left of centre politics in the UK cannot flourish again until Corbynites grow up and realise that their man hasn't got a pup's chance of winning a general election, and he is condemning us to indefinite Tory rule as things presently stand.
Problem: where is the "centre" in British politics any more, that I may stand to the left of it?

Real "politics" is in abeyance while we lack a firm definition of what "#Brexit" could amount to, and how it will impact on real life. Meanwhile I go round muttering Brutus from Julius Caesar:
Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The Genius and the mortal instruments
Are then in council; and the state of man,
Like to a little kingdom, suffers then
The nature of an insurrection.

ffc

Corbyn is the gift that keeps on giving to the right wing.
Tristam Hunt is typical of the kind of bland, middle of the road, managerial style politics which has lead the Labour Party to ship votes in their millions.
Was Tristam ever going to win back Scotland, or take on the populist diatribes of UKIP, or offer the Labour Brexiteers a vision of something better, something positive in Europe?

I doubt it.

He got elected in 2015 and now he has found something better to do. He never really believed in anything, just a job to him, a nice little earner.
He's the second Labour MP to decide the electorate who voted him in a short while ago, aren't worth his time anymore.

New Threads

Most Replies