Trocaire: One charity I'll never support.

Destiny's Soldier

Trocaire's blanket advertising in Radio and TV whether it's the run up to Christmas, the duration of lent, it's charity propaganda goes way too far for my liking.

Their current "A,B,C,D" advert, is put together as if you were the child in a classroom. Now I know my A,B,C, -I'll donate lots of money to Trocaire. It's cynical.

In the run up to the Copenhagen last December, Trocaire printed off thousands of leaflets which were distributed in Churches all over the country which requested the public to back the Climate Change Fraud and to sign their leaflet and post it to the Government to mandate us signing a legally binding agreement to give over 1 - 2% of our GDP to the UN and World Bank.

The money spend on advertising by Trocaire must be phenomenal. But I don't buy their propaganda no matter what other good works they do.

John O'Shea's GOAL in my opinion is the better option.

hopi watcher

Trocaire's blanket advertising in Radio and TV whether it's the run up to Christmas, the duration of lent, it's charity propaganda goes way too far for my liking.

Their current "A,B,C,D" advert, is put together as if you were the child in a classroom. Now I know my A,B,C, -I'll donate lots of money to Trocaire. It's cynical.

In the run up to the Copenhagen last December, Trocaire printed off thousands of leaflets which were distributed in Churches all over the country which requested the public to back the Climate Change Fraud and to sign their leaflet and post it to the Government to mandate us signing a legally binding agreement to give over 1 - 2% of our GDP to the UN and World Bank.

The money spend on advertising by Trocaire must be phenomenal. But I don't buy their propaganda no matter what other good works they do.

John O'Shea's GOAL in my opinion is the better option.
Just a point of information, Trocaire have a higher percent direct spend than any other agency due to the fact that they have a very high level of volunteering within the organistaion.

Half Nelson

I support Trocaire but have to admit that I went right off Concern when its CEO used his office to take sides in the Lisbon debate.

iartaoiseach

I prefer to donate to non-denominational charities myself - I used to choose GOAL but lately John O'Shea seems to have become more into criticizing than anything else. he could well be justified I suppose but imo he used to get his message across without the hectoring tone. the red cross and medicins sans frontieres seem to be doing very good work. I am not to gone on trocaires advertising methods it tries too hard to tug at the heart strings and for that reason it comes across to me as overdone.

jtbooker

The sooner the white man (though increasingly Chinese) pulls out of Africa the better. Charities included.

There's no easy solution to the African problem but handouts which inadvertently help in propping up tyrannical juntas are certainly part of it.

iartaoiseach

The sooner the white man (though increasingly Chinese) pulls out of Africa the better. Charities included.

There's no easy solution to the African problem but handouts which inadvertently help in propping up tyrannical juntas is certainly part of the problem.
You have a point. but I reckon you could leave out the inadvertent part with the chinese when it comes to propping up tyrants.

rob

O'Shea is a spoofer of the highest order, and his loud-mouth approach has managed to alienate just about every policy maker and person of influence in the development community.
they are all spoofers. is there some where to complain about a charity?I googled charity commission but did not get much

toughbutfair

I hate the Irish charities. I tried to give them some good furniture a few years ago but they wouldn't accept it because it didn't have some fireproof label on it. I had used it for years - how poor are these people in need?

Also, on t.v they are a bunch of liars playing to sentiment. The kids going to school hungry being a favourite lie (costs about €2 a week for porridge) and that useless poverty line figure which has nothing to do with your actual standard of living but a comparison to averages.

I just don't trust the African ones as African leaders are the most corrupt people in the world.

rob

The Merchants Quay project and the Simon community seem decent charities.
I agree with that especailly simon.I supported simon and will again. I should not have said all spoofers. But trocaire and goal i do not like. trocaire especiailly with their way of sending the lent pack to local churches to distribute to houses. I think there are a lot on good salaries through charities

iartaoiseach

I hate the Irish charities. I tried to give them some good furniture a few years ago but they wouldn't accept it because it didn't have some fireproof label on it. I had used it for years - how poor are these people in need?

Also, on t.v they are a bunch of liars playing to sentiment. The kids going to school hungry being a favourite lie (costs about €2 a week for porridge) and that useless poverty line figure which has nothing to do with your actual standard of living but a comparison to averages.

I just don't trust the African ones as African leaders are the most corrupt people in the world.
you can blame the compo culture and health and safety industry for much of that carry on i'd say. It is a ridiculous situation alright.

iartaoiseach

I agree with that especailly simon.I supported simon and will again. I should not have said all spoofers. But trocaire and goal i do not like. trocaire especiailly with their way of sending the lent pack to local churches to distribute to houses. I think there are a lot on good salaries through charities
Yeah that's why I stay away from the denominational ones. I'm not into this lenten fast nonsense it benefits no one in the third world imo. if you want to give give. this sponsered penance is not my cup o tea at all smacks of people wanting a return for their money.

Oddjob111

O'Shea is a spoofer of the highest order, and his loud-mouth approach has managed to alienate just about every policy maker and person of influence in the development community.
I never understood how every second person who works for Trocaire seems to be called O'Shea, is it like a cult where they all have to take the founders name?

New Threads

Most Replies