Troll Who Threatened Senator Lorraine Higgins Receives Suspended Sentence. Good or bad Verdict?

redhead

I've looked but can't see a thread on this, and am frankly quite surprised given the endless cry of "troll" on this particular website from many quarters.

I know we've had debates about one man's, or woman's, troll being another's erudite poster. However, whatever you think of someone's views, I think we can all agree that statements like:

"I'm also going to put bullets up your f***ing a*** and watch you bleed like a river."
and,

"I passed you in the street, I'm so close it's unreal,"
are beyond a simple piece of online abuse.

Assuming that you were the recipient of such comments, do you think the suspended sentence is justified in the circumstances, or that Mr. French should have received a custodial sentence?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-will-watch-you-bleed-internet-troll-spared-jail-despite-vile-death-threats-against-senator-36474556.html

(NB Mods, if there is a thread on this and I've missed it, please merge).

ger12

Good he was taken to court. Nasty individual. I'm not sure if I'd have jailed him (first offence) so not surprised at result. If he starts again I'd expert his arsè in jail.

Hitchcock

I've looked but can't see a thread on this, and am frankly quite surprised given the endless cry of "troll" on this particular website from many quarters.

I know we've had debates about one man's, or woman's, troll being another's erudite poster. However, whatever you think of someone's views, I think we can all agree that statements like:

and,

are beyond a simple piece of online abuse.

Assuming that you were the recipient of such comments, do you think the suspended sentence is justified in the circumstances, or that Mr. French should have received a custodial sentence?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/i-will-watch-you-bleed-internet-troll-spared-jail-despite-vile-death-threats-against-senator-36474556.html

(NB Mods, if there is a thread on this and I've missed it, please merge).
There is no need for abuse at all, it's entirely possible to engage with politicians without resorting to the abuse that this individual engaged in. That said I think it's safe to assume that this chap has some mental health issues.

Sheeple_Waker

I wonder what name he goes by on this site...

asset test

I wonder how they found him!

But he looks like a person with issues and apparently is, and is textbook, living at home with mammy in his man cave with little else to occupy him.

Should have been a three year suspended sentence IMV.

Must be awful to be the recipient of this kind of vitriol. Does anyone know what medium was used, FaceAche or something. I thought there were options to block there, not being on Social media (apart from here and some other fora), I really do not know.

redhead

There is no need for abuse at all, it's entirely possible to engage with politicians without resorting to the abuse that this individual engaged in. That said I think it's safe to assume that this chap has some mental health issues.
Yes, it was used in his defence but there is no mention of court ordered therapy. You would think that if it is used as a way to avoid a custodial sentence that there would be conditions such as this attached. He seemed to show little remorse, it appears as if suspending the sentence won't have done much good or acted as a deterrent.

Last edited:

redhead

I wonder how they found him!

But he looks like a person with issues and apparently is, and is textbook, living at home with mammy in his man cave with little else to occupy him.

Should have been a three year suspended sentence IMV.

Must be awful to be the recipient of this kind of vitriol. Does anyone know what medium was used, FaceAche or something. I thought there were options to block there, not being on Social media (apart from here and some other fora), I really do not know.
She was sent emails AFAIK, as a public representative her contact details would be made readily available, there's no way to avoid that.

asset test

She was sent emails AFAIK, as a public representative her contact details would be made readily available, there's no way to avoid that.
Thanks, the reports I read didn't say. I must widen my reading!

So easy isn't it to troll public reps. But it appears to be rare enough, unless certain reps/people with public email addresses are staying quiet.

But I'd be on the side of reporting it just the same.

brughahaha

Thanks, the reports I read didn't say. I must widen my reading!

So easy isn't it to troll public reps. But it appears to be rare enough, unless certain reps/people with public email addresses are staying quiet.

But I'd be on the side of reporting it just the same.
I'd say most if not all of them have a following of quacks and cranks ....from the bored and lonely to the angry and unhinged

asset test

I'd say most if not all of them have a following of quacks and cranks ....from the bored and lonely to the angry and unhinged
Indeed. But I am glad this troll was nabbed just the same.

There are boundaries beyond which people should just not jump hopefully.

brughahaha

storybud1

Pretty sad clown, but first offence ??

the scumbags with hundreds of actual GBH, burglary, drug dealing, etc crimes get no less treatment from the Irish Gold-diggers Association (apparently known as the Irish Judiciary system for mad some reason)

Just send him to bootcamp in the Army for a month, better than prison, no broadband or phones, just ordinary humans trying to get by without their mammys or internet,,

then again,he does look a bit like Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket,,,

hollandia

Good he was taken to court. Nasty individual. I'm not sure if I'd have jailed him (first offence) so not surprised at result. If he starts again I'd expert his arsè in jail.
I disagree. A threat to kill is more than just trolling. Jail time required. However, since there are lads running around with hundreds of convictions for offences of varying seriousness, I'm not surprised he got a suspended sentence.

Florence

Anyone who is convicted of this kind of ignorant and threatening trolling should have to undergo relevant therapy and/or relevant community service to hopefully stop them repeating the offence.

gatsbygirl20

Would jail help or make him worse? By the looks of things he should have been committed.

We don't just jail people in the hope that prison might reform them, but to show their victims that society takes their crime seriously,-- seriously enough to punish the perpetrator with incarceration. So that the victim, the wronged party, can feel that they have got justice.

I am surprised that there is not outrage over this lenient sentence.

The abuse of a public representative in a democracy.... The death threats... The mention of a specific make of gun and the claim to be engaging in target practice...."I was training at the weekend to make sure my aim is at its peak".... The sinister claim of being close by the victim while remaining invisible... "I passed you in the street. I'm so close it's unreal"... The shocking and disgusting detail.. ".. Fill your rat's mouth full of lead"... "bleed like a river," etc

He showed no remorse and continued with his contemptuous remarks in a most matter-of-fact way after the verdict, insisting that his victim was merely seeking attention.

Asked if he took the complaint seriously after walking free "No not really. She'd do anything to get herself in the paper"

It was as if, because his victim was a politician, normal human decency could safely be abandoned. A politician, it seems, is not a normal human being, and any fear she claims to have experienced, was just attention seeking.

Views, alas, that have been expressed on this site in different contexts.

Last edited:

wexfordman

Anyone seen vomitaire around recently ?

redhead

We don't just jail people in the hope that prison might reform them, but to show their victims that society takes their crime seriously,-- seriously enough to punish the perpetrator with incarceration. So that the victim, the wronged party, can feel that they have got justice.

I am surprised that there is not outrage over this lenient sentence.

The abuse of a public representative in a democracy.... The death threats... The mention of a specific make of gun and the claim to be engaging in target practice...."I was training at the weekend to make sure my aim is at its peak".... The sinister claim of being close by the victim while remaining invisible... "I passed you in the street. I'm so close it's unreal"... The shocking and disgusting detail.. ".. Fill your rat's mouth full of lead"... "bleed like a river," etc

He showed no remorse and continued with his contemptuous remarks in a most matter-of-fact way after the verdict, insisting that his victim was merely seeking attention.

Asked if he took the complaint seriously after walking free "No not really. She'd do anything to get herself in the paper"

It was as if, because his victim was a politician, normal human decency could safely be abandoned. A politician, it seems, is not a normal human being, and any fear she claims to have experienced, was just attention seeking.

Views, alas, that have been expressed on this site in different contexts.
Indeed. It seems that most TD's are on the receiving end of this on a spectrum of which this is the very worst example. It would be interesting to see an analysis of the volume and level of vitriol directed at public representatives broken down on gender lines.

Personally I'm not in favour of gender quotas, however, one of the arguments often put forward by those who are is that there are many invisible barriers to women running for public office. I wonder if the perception that this kind of treatment (albeit on a less severe level i.e. without the death threats) is commonplace and/or accepted as part of the job is one of them?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies