• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Trouble at the Ed Miliband is an Islamophobe Mill

happytuesdays

Ed Miliband in a disgraceful dog whistle to England's racist and Islamophobic majority.

Miliband said:
We can only converse if we can speak the same language. So if we are going to build One Nation, we need to start with everyone in Britain knowing how to speak English.
In the week that the English half half admitted their part in the murder of Irish citizens this is disgraceful coat trailing and a slap in the face to Northern Irish and Scottish Gaels.

Bea C

I don't see anything wrong with that.
People can speak all they want, that's their prerogative, but how can a country function if people don't have a common language?
I can imagine what the French would say were you to extend that logic to them...

dunno

3 millions live in households in Britain where no one speaks English. It is less a 'dog whistle' more a vague attempt to distract people from the fact that both Tories and Labour support low wage mass immigration, something that strains local services and often displaces local legal minimum wage workers with people paid below minimum wage in cash and kept in conditions of actual slavery. How in the name of someone's deity is that vague bit of nothing, an attack on Moslems?

bob3344

3 millions live in households in Britain where no one speaks English. It is less a 'dog whistle' more a vague attempt to distract people from the fact that both Tories and Labour support low wage mass immigration, something that strains local services and often displaces local legal minimum wage workers with people paid below minimum wage in cash and kept in conditions of actual slavery. How in the name of someone's deity is that vague bit of nothing, an attack on Moslems?
Its seen as an attack on muslims beacuse they are the main culprits for this stuff. Males are quite happy with their wives living in islamic ghettos with no english.

Other factor is the knock-on effect on the kids, parents aren't going to be much help with the homework, are they ?

factual

How on earth is this trouble at Labour mill? It is basically about sharing cohesion and integration. (Look north of the Irish border to see where a lack of CSI Leads).

FrankSpeaks

He is right if you move to the UK then you should learn the English language, no reason that you can't be multilingual.

Eire1976

Ed Miliband in a disgraceful dog whistle to England's racist and Islamophobic majority.

In the week that the English half half admitted their part in the murder of Irish citizens this is disgraceful coat trailing and a slap in the face to Northern Irish and Scottish Gaels.
Go to a country like England, learn english or get back whence you came.

I live in Norway and all foreigners have to learn Norwegian or you cannot have permenant residence.

dunno

Unless a UK household is independently wealthy, they have to be able to number a few fluent English speakers. While Millibwand means nothing much with this speech - the bosses would not have it - he did not say anything unreasonable. If someone of Pakistani descent earns enough to be a net contributor, and even if they are not, they cannot see anything unreasonable in the words.

Ramon Mercadar

He is correct.

And I have no issue with immigration or multiculturalism.
Indeed. Noting racist or Islamophobic about the statement.

dunno

How on earth is this trouble at Labour mill? It is basically about sharing cohesion and integration. (Look north of the Irish border to see where a lack of CSI Leads).
Yes, it's as sweetly reasonable and mainstream as such a speech could ever be.

FrankSpeaks

What if they want to live in Wales or Scotland and inter act with their neigbours through the Celtic languages? What about people who are Welsh or Scottish. This is disgusting cat trailing.
Bullsh1t, I doubt if any native of the Native Welsh or Scottish cannot speak English, there is nothing to stop them learning to speak Welsh, Manx, Ulster Scotish, Irish or Scottish Gaelic as well as English.

dunno

What if they want to live in Wales or Scotland and inter act with their neigbours through the Celtic languages? What about people who are Welsh or Scottish. This is disgusting cat trailing.
You really are silly, and a bit of a troll I think. No Welsh speaker is monoglot, nor are speakers of Scottish gaelic, nor are the rural locations the default destination for any migrant. A person still has to be speak English to get on in Britain, to do anything other than live on welfare and/or work in the black economy.

Honecker

So the Scots Gaelic and Welsh must be forced to bow the knee to English?
I doubt there's any Scots or Welsh who can't speak English.

In fairness I think everyone who lives in England should make some effort to speak English. But if immigrants to Wales want to learn Welsh then the more power to them!

Bea C

Aren't you communicating via English?

Bea C

I saw Ed on sky there, one point he made was how anybody working in the public sector must be able to speak English: how could they not, are there actually people who can't!?!?!
As for those who label this racist, they should imagine arriving into a&e and being unable to communicate properly with the person behind the counter/nursing them/the doctor.

A view from England

So the genocide of the Celtic peoples is now something to be celbrated.
By God when the cry of the Muezzin rings from Dover to Carlisle that will be a good day.
You do realise that there are millions of English who have Celtic bloodlines? Or do you think that only some Irish are celts?

florin

3 millions live in households in Britain where no one speaks English.
No they don't; they live in households where it isn't a first language, but could easily be a very good second one. And that figure includes those for whom Welsh and Gaelic are first languages, as well as many Polish, Russian, French, German etc. etc. immigrants. I'd say there are virtually no homes where no-one speaks English, except in the Shetlands or somewhere like that.

A view from England

Are you the type who goes around shouting a lot but does so whilst wearing a Liverpool jersey?
Or a Celtic one? :D