• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Trouble in Ballybeen and Dunclug

Bismarck

Cruimh
Forgive my ignorance but where is the Woodstock road - I assume from your reply that Ballybeen is loyalist -I know aobut Dunclug

damon

Ballybeen is a very strange place. I always felt uncomfortable in it - far more so than on the Woodstock Road.
Ballybean is strange alright. I took a bus out there just for a look about a couple of weeks ago.
It's very deprived looking. The few small shops that there are, are covered in barbed wire on the roofs and look depressed.
Again, it's the edge of town, sprawling estate situation.
At least Woodstock road is in town and has a busy commercial life.

TrueBlue84

Fact of the day - is the Ballybeen the largest estate in the UK?

I know it is top 5 but cannot remember if it is no. or not.

TrueBlue84

centauro

Hmmm wonder what no. 1 would be then? Normally take wiki with a pinch of salt but now that you mention it it was second largest in UK that I had heard. Mind you that must be close to 3/4 years ago now
Rathcoole I believe.

Wiki says 20% of the Ballybeen population was catholic in 1970.
Huh? How could that be? Everyone knows Catholics weren't allowed local authority housing.
Wonder what happened to them.
Probably moved to the vacant houses in Riverdale or Ladybrook, you know, the ones the prods were put out of...

niropiro

I hope the black men responsible for this violence are caught and punished.:lol:

Paisley_Buddy

Ethnic cleansing...............

:confused:

Surely not.

But what about the ira?

Kidding! I'm not very well briefed about this locality , but if the Catholic families in question moved on due to intimidation from their neighbours then that is clearly a disgraceful situation.

What is the % of Catholics livivng there now? There is the possibility that some moved outwards to places like Crumlin or Carryduff (as many indeed have) or even that the local Prods have been very busy in the bedroom...

sharpcut

What happened to the 18 000 Protestants who used to live on the west side of The Foyle?

Paisley_Buddy

What happened to the 18 000 Protestants who used to live on the west side of The Foyle?

An absolutely valid question and one that I've commented on in the past. Its a mirror situation sharpcut. The forced flight of these communities is always a detriment to the places they leave behind.

longmarch

There was the lighting of a bonfire in the doury road estate of ballymena last night. Dunclug is very close and is a republican estate pretty much so I wander if this was something related. Doury road itself is a bit of a mental estate. I wouldn't like to guess the make up of the area.

You used to not be able to get a taxi to or from the doury road nor would the takeaway drivers deliver there. I'd guess the trouble in dunclug and the loyalist bonfire in the doury road are related

factual

There was the lighting of a bonfire in the doury road estate of ballymena last night. Dunclug is very close and is a republican estate pretty much so I wander if this was something related. Doury road itself is a bit of a mental estate. I wouldn't like to guess the make up of the area.

You used to not be able to get a taxi to or from the doury road nor would the takeaway drivers deliver there. I'd guess the trouble in dunclug and the loyalist bonfire in the doury road are related
These are deprived areas - that is the point (not which church they go to).