Trouble on an EU island: Daylight come & I dont want to go Home - Locals think otherwise....

Catalpast

Mayotte unrest: French island residents round up 'foreigners'

A group of residents from the Indian Ocean French island of Mayotte has been rounding up suspected illegal migrants and taking them to local police.
The move targeted around 100 "foreigners, Comorans and Africans", a member of the group told AFP.
Protests against the economic crisis and illegal immigrants from the Comoros islands have paralysed the island.

Mayotte unrest: French island residents round up 'foreigners' - BBC News

Why the unrest?
Locals complain that the arrivals of migrants are putting Mayotte's health, housing and education services under pressure.

I think I have heard this one somewhere before???

We have tens of thousands of illegal immigrants here

- is it time we turned them in?

Or so we have it built into our Psyche not to be Touts to the Authorities?

Personally I wouldn't but others may feel different....

Mushroom

A group of residents from the Indian Ocean French island of Mayotte has been rounding up suspected illegal migrants and taking them to local police.
The move targeted around 100 "foreigners, Comorans and Africans", a member of the group told AFP.
Protests against the economic crisis and illegal immigrants from the Comoros islands have paralysed the island.

I'll only start to do it when the State pays me a bounty. But I am compiling a list, in anticipation.

ruserious

It must be a rather boring life to make thread after thread, day after day, on the same topic.

Mushroom

It must be a rather boring life to make thread after thread, day after day, on the same topic.

And one would have to be a very sad individual to feel obliged to read each of them, although knowing in advance exactly what one is gong to encounter.

razorblade

They're illegals of course they should be rounded up and deported fair play to those who have handed them in.

Catalpast

Cant say I ever heard of the place till now....

At least I start topics

What have you ever done to stimulate debate on this Site?

Mushroom

brughahaha

Why the unrest?
Locals complain that the arrivals of migrants are putting Mayotte's health, housing and education services under pressure.

You'd like citizens vigilanteism to "round up" illegal immigrants ....seriously ? Are you honestly too stupid to see what would happen or are you so full of hate you dont care ?

I actually feel sorry for you , your hatred must be an awful affliction for you and your family

Dr Pat

Why the unrest?

According to that BBC report that Catalpast links. "About 70% of the 10,000 babies born every year in the island's only maternity hospital in the main town of Mamoudzou are born to illegal migrants, mainly from the Comoran islands, according to official statistics."

No wonder there are protests.

redhead

Why the unrest?

:roll: Really? The Banana Boat Song? In the f***ing title? I see you stopped short of of using "me wanna go home" presumably to prove that you're not racist...

petaljam

Why the unrest?

Little bit different, for one thing the Mahorais (the locals) are ethnically the same as the Anjuans and Comoreans who are arriving illegally, the problem being that while Mayotte is terribly poor compared to mainland France, the level of healthcare and education available to even the poorest means it's almost like having neighbouring islands where one provides living conditions like Haiti and the other like Germany.
Add to that the fact that any children born on Mayotte get French citizenship, and you can see why migratory pressure is massive, way beyond anything like Ireland has experienced.

But it's not a racial issue at all, unlike your obsessions. It's stuff like, all but the very the poorest Mahorais are sent away from the public A&Es to go to private clinics because the public system is already overwhelmed dealing with illegals who have no heallthcare at all otherwise. Schools are massively overcrowded, even with two rotas of classes, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, so most of the kids barely get a basic education - not helped by the fact that many of them (Mahorais included) don't really speak French, which is the language used at school.

TL, DR:
Basically it's an African country run at arm's length by a not very capable colonial power which is more interested in not creating precedents than in solving the local issues.

So, much like Blanchardstown then. :)

ruserious

Cant say I ever heard of the place till now....

At least I start topics

What have you ever done to stimulate debate on this Site?
I happened to start the "Repercussions of Donald Trump" thread which as we speak is the 5th most commented thread in P.ie History.

Dr Pat

Little bit different, for one thing the Mahorais (the locals) are ethnically the same as the Anjuans and Comoreans who are arriving illegally, the problem being that while Mayotte is terribly poor compared to mainland France, the level of healthcare and education available to even the poorest means it's almost like having neighbouring islands where one provides living conditions like Haiti and the other like Germany.
Add to that the fact that any children born on Mayotte get French citizenship, and you can see why migratory pressure is massive, way beyond anything like Ireland has experienced.

But it's not a racial issue at all, unlike your obsessions. It's stuff like, all but the very the poorest Mahorais are sent away from the public A&Es to go to private clinics because the public system is already overwhelmed dealing with illegals who have no heallthcare at all otherwise. Schools are massively overcrowded, even with two rotas of classes, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, so most of the kids barely get a basic education - not helped by the fact that many of them (Mahorais included) don't really speak French, which is the language used at school.

TL, DR:
Basically it's an African country run at arm's length by a not very capable colonial power which is more interested in not creating precedents than in solving the local issues.

All very interesting but the fact is there is largescale illegal migration to the island.

Last edited:

Dr Pat

TL, DR:

If you are suggesting let them untie the colonial knot, come out and say it....they voted in 2009 to become an integral part of the French state administration.

Lagertha

They are illegal migrants. The locals don't want illegal migrants. They are bringing the illegal migrants to the police to be deported. That's the logical thing to do. Of course the cheerleaders for Open Borders and the idiots who believe that economic migrants are genuine asylum seekers, will be appalled. We could try the same thing here but they wouldn't be deported.

Just look at the case of the illegal Muslim migrant who stabbed a young Japanese man to death here. He'd walked into a police station and was told to head off to Dublin to claim asylum. There was some confusion about what part of the Middle East he was from and then the story disappeared off the radar. Ireland's first ''lone wolf'' not a Muslim jihadist.

Catalpast

TL, DR:

What Racial obsessions m I supposed to have?

My gripe always has been with the Irish People having to compete for jobs and resources with non Irish People coming here who cannot and will not support themselves.

The People over there are in the same boat

- but at least they are doing something about it.

hollandia

My gripe always has been with the Irish People having to compete for jobs and resources with non Irish People coming here who cannot and will not support themselves.

I'm surprised even you can't see the inherent contradiction, much less the absence of fact.

GDPR

A lot of the open borders types on here though that wrap up their attacks on those of us who are immigration restrictionists in humanitarian garb I'm pretty certain are actually motivated by wanting to drive down wages and working conditions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies