• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

True Lives and Gerry McCabe

Biffo

Any opinions on why RTE are running this programme now, it seems a little strange to me to dragging this debate back up again when we all know the positions of every person/party involved. This programme could stick the knife into SF if they so choose.
I agree with John Waters piece in the Times a few weeks ago where he said Gerry McCabe should be allowed to rest in peace.
It will be interesting to see what angle the programme takes.

Deep Throat

perhaps the angle that he was murdered by a bunch of IRA gangsters?
perhaps the angle that sf denied at first IRA involvement?
perhaps the angle that witnesses were intimidated and lessr charges were brought?
perhaps the angle that the govt have done numerous u-turns and dodgy side-deals on the issue of his murderers release?

Worldbystorm

Gerry Gregg, who I understand produced it, was a former WP person in RTE, very close to Eoghan Harris and his particular worldview.

Judging from an article in Magill magazine he appears to be still fighting the battles of the 1980s against 'Republicanism' albeit now without the inconvenient (to him perhaps) albatross of Marxism.

The irony being that he, as I, was a member of a party which had it's own armed wing which never underwent anything like the process PSF/PIRA did in the last decade or so. His Damascene conversion to purely constitutional means must have occurred off-camera, so to speak.

I don't want to dismiss the program out of hand without seeing it, and there is a legitimate story to be told about the death of Gerry McCabe although I too agree with John Waters, but the dogmatic tone from the article does not bode well...

mothball

Deep Throat said:
perhaps the angle that he was murdered by a bunch of IRA gangsters?
These men were convicted of man slaughter not murder. They should have been released by now anyway.

Worldbystorm

I genuinely sympathise with his wife and family, but there appears to be a belief amongst some that the events of that day were the omega of further progress for SF. Yet now, when it's decommissioned fully it strikes me as inopportune, and (on the part of some) opportunist, to bring this to the fore again.

What purpose does it serve? Who benefits from it.

Perhaps Gerry McCabe is laughing at how far his former adversaries had to go...

duff

I dont really see what the point is in showing this program. He was a paid political mercinary of the state who had an uzi with him in his car. I have never heard sympathy for the people the free state have murdered like John Morris, Hugh Hehir or Ronan McLoughlin.

Worldbystorm

I wouldn't buy into that analysis duff. And therein lies the problem.

You might well consider him a mercenary, but by that logic so is a member of the Defence Forces, and they have much greater firepower than simple uzi's.

But doesn't this just demonstrate again how divisive this issue is.

duff

Worldbystorm said:
I wouldn't buy into that analysis duff. And therein lies the problem.

You might well consider him a mercenary, but by that logic so is a member of the Defence Forces, and they have much greater firepower than simple uzi's.

But doesn't this just demonstrate again how divisive this issue is.
I would consider them Mercenarys. I dont see why any republican should shed a tear or anything of the sort for a dead branchman. They are filth, we as republicans know all to well the antics of the scum of the SDU.

ireland2004

:?

Paul Williams claimed that the gun used was Walsh's personal weapon but earlier it said the gun was never recovered... Williams making it up as he goes along? Surely not!! :shock:

rover

Biffo said:
Any opinions on why RTE are running this programme now
Err...maybe because its nearly 10 years to the day since he was murdered.

Biffo said:
I agree with John Waters piece in the Times a few weeks ago where he said Gerry McCabe should be allowed to rest in peace
Sanctimonious shit. The cheek of him, you, or anyone else to tell his widow what she can and cannot say

Deep Throat

wasnt it nice of gerry adams to welcome mrs mccabe to new york! the cheek of the bastard!
as for teresa ferris, she said they fired because they were going to be fired upon!!
gerry adams said the IRA didnt authorise it but that some at a lower lever authorised it and that this person was entitled to authorise it!!
that takes the biscuit!

the agent

so men and women who serve their communities upholding law and order are scum???? Well any person who tries and defends the actions of gunmen who blow up civilans with bombs planted in litter bins and in pubs while they set a timer so they are safely away, would know all about scum.

duff

Deep Throat said:
as for teresa ferris, she said they fired because they were going to be fired upon!!
Thats what happened, If a branchman is getting his uzi out to pop a few off at you and ye have an ak, what are you ment to do? It would be a natural instinct to do as those IRA volunteers did.

Bogwarrior

Had Mc Cabe actually been able to reach for his gun, the days events could've took a drastic turn, and would certainly have led to a tragedy. Only for the Grace of God..

ireland2004

wasnt it nice of gerry adams to welcome mrs mccabe to new york! the cheek of the b******!
I thought he was very nice indeed. :)

Did you record the show? I advise you to watch it again and you'll find she didn't actually say that. She said that was one possibility as to why shots were fired but didn't want to speculate even though that in itself is a contradiction.

Stop lying.

Worldbystorm

duff, the Gardai have a similar view of your colleagues. There has to be a point where we move beyond the name-calling.

I wouldn't consider them mercenaries in any respect, rather they're employees of this state who have as the saying goes 'done this state some service', and you haven't answered my point about them being analagous to the Defence Forces.

Deep Throat, you, and perhaps I, might not like the answer Adams gave, but at least he responded to her as honestly as he could. And here's the thing, what could he say realistically that could in any sense diminish her pain?

BarryW

An excellent programme. Those "True Lives", "Arts Lives" and "Hidden History" productions are about the only homegrown things worth watching on RTE anymore.

It wasn't exactly what you'd call "balanced" - but I doubt if anyone outside SF HQ could find "balance" when it comes to cold-blooded murder.

It correctly asked questions of Martin Ferris' involvement.
It also showed us what a braindead tart his daughter is.

But above all it showed that Ann McCabe is the bravest person ever to have stood up to the lies, greed and murderous instincts of Sinn Fein and the IRA

Deep Throat

besides adams staing the obvious that he couldnt bring her husband back, the rest was pure bullshit!

ireland2004

It also showed us what a braindead tart his daughter is.
Reminded us how hot she is too. 8)

But above all it showed that Ann McCabe is the bravest person ever to have stood up to the lies, greed and murderous instincts of Sinn Fein and the IRA
:shock2:

Even the McCartney sisters? :cry:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies