Trump Administration policy thread ( Economic, Foreign etc )

robut

Guys,

I just want to ask a genuine Q. WHAT are the Trump Administrations policies? Economic, Foreign etc .. I honestly dont remember them being mentioned in any meaningful way during the campaign. Vague at best.

I think its the first election I remember where I did not see / hear any serious meaningful debate amongst candidates about policies and arguments there in. The real important stuff :D

Maybe I was listening to all the wrong media ...

Franzoni

According to an American commentator on RTE MI programme earlier Trump has failed to recruit and appoint a lot of his admin team and has had to ask Obama appointments to stay on...i think the number is quite high around 600 placements if i heard it correctly...

Why that was wasn't really fleshed out in the interview....

The point was made that this was unusual and hadn't happened in recent memory by any incoming administration...so it would seem the nuts and bolts stuff with still be run by people from the previous eight years....

sadcitizen

I was a complete sad arse during the election and watched everything I could from both camps. I say this as someone who wasn't pro-Trump before it all started...they talked more about boring policy aspects than the Clinton camp did. I don't know how this meme started that he had no policies. During his rallies yes, ideas were diluted down to cater to the audiences, but they were rallies and the crowds weren't there for detailed discourse on policy.

I'm sure you know the what the general points of his policies on the economy, education, immigration, employment, energy etc are right?

robut

I was a complete sad arse during the election and watched everything I could from both camps .....

I'm sure you know the what the general points of his policies on the economy, education, immigration, employment, energy etc are right?
Unfortunately I wasnt as sad :D

Your final sentence is what I am asking and why I started this thread going forward. A dummies bullet point guide if you know them please?

And yes, I know about the wall and lowering Corp tax and bombing the sh*t out of ISIS but their isnt very much meat on any of this is there?

Re Corp Tax, lowering it. Not good for Ireland PLC ... Move APPLE & Pharma out of Cork?

Why the Irish are worried about President Donald Trump

Last edited:

Levellers

Trump's policies change by the minute. So who can tell - he doesn't even know.

Spanner Island

The main policy so far seems to be Trump saying stuff which because he says it - it is so.

It's gonna get very old very quick if that's how things continue... and the patience of all but his most die hard supporters will wane.

robut

According to an American commentator on RTE MI programme earlier Trump has failed to recruit and appoint a lot of his admin team and has had to ask Obama appointments to stay on...i think the number is quite high around 600 placements if i heard it correctly...

Why that was wasn't really fleshed out in the interview....

The point was made that this was unusual and hadn't happened in recent memory by any incoming administration...so it would seem the nuts and bolts stuff with still be run by people from the previous eight years....
Trump will carry over more than 50 Obama administration officials

The Trump administration will carry over more than 50 key Obama administration officials after Inauguration Day as the president-elect tries to ensure continuity while putting his own team in place, the transition team said Thursday.

Among them: Adam Szubin, the acting Treasury undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence whose nomination by Obama was stalled in the Senate for 20 months. He will serve as the acting Treasury secretary until Trump nominee Steven Mnuchin is confirmed by the Senate.
that also leaves more than 5,000 lower-level appointments to be made, including the important deputy and assistant Cabinet secretaries often charged with running the departments day to day.

sadcitizen

Unfortunately I wasnt as sad :D

Your final sentence is what I am asking and why I started this thread going forward. A dummies bullet point guide if you know them please?

Amd yes, I know about the wall and lowering Corp tax and bombing the sh*t out of ISIS but their isnt very much meat on any of this is there?
I'm not trying to be a dick by pasting this but I have to do some stuff so I can hurry and watch the inauguration, but the general bullet points are all here:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/

I think in general you could consider that his policies seem to be pragmatic, protectionist, and have a view to increasing American competitiveness in the global econmoy. You could probably guess the general bullet-points from there. Anybody who says he has no policies, or flip flops on them, hasn't paid attention.

So for example, although he's pro-alternative energies (which makes sense because he seems to be a pragmatic person and the costs of alternative energies are now competitive against fossil fuels) he's also in favour of eschewing environmental regulations to increase coal production, as he feels that China have a competitive edge due to a lack of regulation in this regard. On the other hand, Hillary was in favour of decreasing reliance on fossil fuels immediately, and had a plan to provide something like a billion in grants to alternative energy companies to ensure this during her term.

I think people immediately imagine the US being covered with smog like cities in China are, when they hear that Trump is in favour of coal production, but imo market forces would dictate that this increase in competition would make alternative energies even more attractive and would hasten a decreased reliance on fossil fuels in the longer term, whereas grants to alt energy companies would increase social issues in coal producing states and reduce competitiveness in the short term. In other words, I think both candidates were trying to approach the same end goal (clean energy usage) but via a different route. Trump via pragmatism and competitiveness, Hillary via a heavier hand, with an increase national debt being necessary to reach that goal. People obfuscate this issue by pointing out that coal production is ultimately dead, and mass-manufacturing in the US is ultimately dead, but Trump knows this. He doesn't envision coal production for ever more.

My personal favourite policies of his revolve around ending the H1B visa scam, wherein US companies fire workers to replace them with cheap workers from emerging economies. What I like about this is that:

1) politicians in the western world NEVER talk about this being a major issue, and it is one
2) tech companies have practically dictated government policy surrounding the issuance of more visas for a decade now, in the US and Ireland and elsewhere, and it's resulted in severely suppressed wages in a supposedly growth sector, and displaced workers. I very much like that he's - before even taking office - flipped the script on how government and private industry interact. He's now telling them how it'll be, rather than vice versa as has been the case.
3) there have been several successful major class action suits against practically all the tech giants in the US as a result of their wage fixing and collusion via H1B, and the media have never mentioned it once. Never.

Trump is the first politician from the left, right or elsewhere, who's brought up this issue. Hillary (and practically everybody) wants to increase issuance of visas to emerging economies, whereas Trump invited fired American workers to give speeches at rallies about this untalked-about issue.

All of his policy points are similar imo. He's pragmatic, patriotic, and wants to get things fixed right now, not at some indeterminate time in the future. The fact that they're already planning on cutting expenditure by 25% in the next budget just demonstrates that they weren't BSing.

He also seems to be pacifistic, for want of a better term. He's deathly afraid of nuclear proliferation and nuclear war (despite what the media says) and is not in favour of military intervention in the ME.

Ok I gotta run, everybody watch the inauguration!

Last edited:

Franzoni

Wow ...even more so...

You won't get much done and your policies enacted quickly if the people working for you know that they will be replaced at some stage and don't believe in your message to begin with....

Maybe he is facing similar difficulties in recruiting as with getting people to perform at his inauguration.....:

In all, Mr. Trump has named only 29 of his 660 executive department appointments, according to the Partnership for Public Service, which has been tracking the process. That is a pace far slower than recent predecessors, falling far short of the schedule originally outlined by Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, who was Mr. Trump’s transition director before Mr. Trump ousted him 10 weeks ago.

I reckon this is what the lad on MI was talking about....

robut

What to Expect from Trumponomics: QuickTake Scorecard - BLOOMBERG

Early in his first press conference as president-elect, Donald Trump said he would make pharmaceutical companies bid for U.S. business because they were “getting away with murder” on drug prices. Indexes that track pharmaceutical stocks plummeted. It was classic Trump, doing what economists call “jawboning,” or moving markets today with threats of action in the future.

Presidents and Federal Reserve chairs have jawboned before, usually from behind a podium or in a carefully crafted statement. But when Trump wants to cut the cost of the next version of Air Force One or stop companies from sending jobs overseas, he bullies, intimidates and threatens via Twitter. His policies change by the week, but it’s clear they won’t fit any classic economic mold. What’s less certain is whether this ad-hoc approach will yield the results Trump advertises.

Here’s what to expect from Trumponomics: ( READ THE ARTICLE :D )

robut

HUH???

No mention of Trump Policies in your post Telstar, have you the right thread?

Im not dissing Trump in this thread - I am just asking a genuine Q as to what are the Trump Administrations Policies going forward ..

sadcitizen

Just to add, a line from the speech there sums up a large swathe of his policy...."buy American, hire American".

robut

Reuters Tweets: https://twitter.com/Reuters

- BREAKING: Executives from Whirlpool, Under Armour, Tesla, Lockheed Martin, Johnson & Johnson and more attend Trump meeting on manufacturing

- BREAKING: Trump says he is going to cut taxes massively for middle class and companies

- MORE: Trump tells manufacturing executives that companies that move abroad will face major border tax on products coming into U.S.

Lets hope .. So far thats talk, but lets see. Good news for USA citizens ..

petaljam

Just to add, a line from the speech there sums up a large swathe of his policy...."buy American, hire American".
Is this a policy though, seeing as his own products are not all made in America?
(can't post the link yet)
abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-admits-gear-made-china-labels/story?id=13472355]Donald Trump Admits His Gear Has Made in China Labels - ABC News

Or does he really mean to punish other companies for doing what he did himself in the past?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies