Trump Foreign Policy thread

owedtojoy

More clusterf**king about.

Pompeo in Cairo ... short version.

You will be surprised to learn that the invasion of Iraq was not the cause of Middle East chaos ... no, the cause is Barack Obama. Obama's policy was not his strongest suit, but Bush did not exactly deal him a cracking good hand!

[video=youtube;liZ_KrAQ0oM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZ_KrAQ0oM[/video]

You will also be surprised to find that Pompey boasts "The USA under President Trump has re-asserted its traditional role, as a force for good in this region".

Colour me dubious but is he not talking about a return to Bush and neo-conservatism? Exactly the opposite of what his fanboys were saying above.

Is this for real, or more Trumpian incoherence?

Betson

I could not give a rat's ass if Trump fires his neo-conservative side-kick or not.

To me, it just shows this Presidency up as a third term for Dick Cheney, anyway.

The Syria "withdrawal" is a clusterf**k - do you not think so?
No I do not think so , only time will tell.

owedtojoy

Bolton getting a minder?

[TWEET]1083769198969540614[/TWEET]
There is a rumour Bolton has been ejected from Trump's inner circle, and it is only a matter of time until he is replaced.

What is the half-life of appointments to Trump's inner circle? It seems to get smaller all the time.

owedtojoy

And they’re leaving again:

U.S. military announces start of Syria withdrawal - The Washington Post

Publicly lecturing Erdogan with Netanyahu by his side was never going to pass unanswered. With their ridiculously abrasive style, Bolton and Pompeo look set to accentuate the Trump effect among America’s allies.
Al Jazeera do an overview of the failing policies of the last two American Presidents, as well as the current one.

Pompeo chastised Obama for disengaging in Iraq, arguing that "when America retreats, chaos follows". Yet this is exactly what is currently unfolding in Syria, following Trump's hasty decision to pull out US troops from the country's northeast region
The most risible bit is the suggestion that Pompeo was making the speech to Trump, as this is the only way to get him to listen to someone, instead of consulting his latest impulse.

Bolton and Pompeo's job will be a hard one to do, as both have lost their credibility in the Middle East. Moving forward, no regional leader or policymaker will believe that they speak on Trump's behalf. What they were preaching about Syria for most of 2018 was momentously discredited by the president's recent remarks that the US has no business staying in Syria.

The fact is that Trump has never been more isolated at home and abroad and a damage control speech in Cairo by his secretary of state is not enough to save the US president from himself.
What three Cairo speeches tell us about US foreign policy | Middle East | Al Jazeera

Also:

Pompeos US Jingoism and Anti-Iran Warmongering Rejected by Mideast Public

People in the region for the most part (outside of Saudi Arabia and the UAE) really dislike US policy. Zogby notes, “It is important to note that the United States only receives single digit favorable ratings in Iraq and Egypt.” That is, in both Egypt, where Pompeo spoke, and in Iraq, which he had just visited, over 90% of the population has an unfavorable view of the United States.

Dame_Enda

There is a rumour Bolton has been ejected from Trump's inner circle, and it is only a matter of time until he is replaced.

What is the half-life of appointments to Trump's inner circle? It seems to get smaller all the time.
Like Icarus he got too close to the sun. This is like watching The Tudors.

Ardillaun

Is there anybody more comically ill-suited by temperament for his job than Bolton?

Sync

Is there anybody more comically ill-suited by temperament for his job than Bolton?
Bolton's problem was that he was ill tempered and too blunt to deal with the US's enemies and adversaries.

Trump's problem is that he's ill tempered and too blunt/compromised to deal with the US's friends.

I'm really not sure how anyone could have talked to Bolton in the interview process and thought "Yeah, he's going to be on board with us abandoning the Kurds who fought and died for interests the US share".

Hence his efforts now to try and get a deal done on their safety.

Dame_Enda

[TWEET]1084437508987998209[/TWEET]

.....U.S. President Donald Trump has accused Germany of being a “captive” of Moscow due to its reliance on Russian energy and urged it to halt work on the $11 billion gas pipeline.

The pipeline, which would carry gas straight to Germany under the Baltic Sea, is driving a wedge between Germany and its allies as it would deprive Ukraine of the lucrative gas transit fees it currently enjoys.

U.S. Ambassador Richard Grenell addressed the issue in a letter sent to several companies, the U.S. Embassy said.

“The letter reminds that any company operating in the Russian energy export pipeline sector is in danger under CAATSA of U.S. sanctions,” the spokesman said, adding that other European states also opposed the planned pipeline.

Germany and other European allies accuse Washington of using its Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) to meddle in other counties’ foreign and energy policies due to its extraterritorial effect......

Ardillaun

James Baker, a close friend of the president and in many ways more talented, could be trusted by third parties to speak for him, be discreet and deliver a deal. Such a person is impossible in Trumpworld for multiple obvious reasons. Pompeo’s speech in Cairo was for an American audience of one.

Sync

Didn't trump tweet berating Obama for announcing his plans to the enemy back in the sane years?
Yes but now he's threatening his allies. Bigly difference. Or something.

Betson

Yes but now he's threatening his allies. Bigly difference. Or something.
But it is ok to say the Turks will slaughter the Kurds if the US pulls out(Democrats , media , anti trumpers) , but once Trump says there will repercussions for them if they do, then Trump has stepped over the line by saying that?

Sync

But it is ok to say the Turks will slaughter the Kurds if the US pulls out(Democrats , media , anti trumpers) , but once Trump says there will repercussions for them if they do, then Trump has stepped over the line by saying that?
I'm saying carrying out diplomatic policy via Twitter is a dumb idea. I'm saying giving Erdogan mixed messages is poor management. I'm saying threatening economic sanctions on somebody you believe is about to kill you is unlikely to give you much comfort.

But I'd love to hear more about the 20 mile safe zone Trump has planned out, resourced, budgeted and gotten agreement from regional allies. I'm sure that's coming shortly.

Dame_Enda

I think something like the no fly zone the West imposed in northern and southern Iraq when Saddam Hussein was in power would be a good idea for the Kurdish areas in Syria.