Trump Foreign Policy thread

owedtojoy

An AP-NORC Center for Public Affairs research poll found that 63 percent of Americans disapprove of how Trump has handled U.S. foreign policy while 35 percent approve.

The poll also found that Americans were split on Trump’s decision to remove 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria — 39 percent of respondents said they approved, while 35 percent said they disapproved.
AP-NORC poll: Most Americans oppose Trump’s foreign policy

Fr. Ted Crilly

As you can see, Val Martin has serious mental issues...

owedtojoy

Well they support leaving Afghanistan.
I think the main concern with Trump's foreign policy is about the President himself.

Trump clearly lacks leadership ability, management ability, and a coherent set of objectives for American Foreign Policy. A vague vision of "greatness" is not enough.

With a hit-and-miss foreign policy, you can still get some things right. However, one bad miss will negate all the successes elsewhere. And it is not clear if Trump has negotiated a good deal to make the Afghan War worthwhile - most experts fear that he has not.

Trump administration hands gift to Afghan Taliban - Asia Times

With Trump telegraphing his desperation to disengage, the Taliban have no reason not to play hardball. Apparently, the Afghan Government will be left to face the Taliban on its own.

owedtojoy

I would point out that the Irish govt welcomed the relaxation of the sanctions on Rusal, given it owns a company in Limerick.
With a European version of the US Magnitsky Act mooted, we may find that it will not be easy to put money into the pockets of criminal Russian oligarchs, even if they are friends of Trump, or friends of friends of Trump, or ones to whom Trump owes money, or ones to whom his friends owe money.

The Magnitsky Law Is Taking Over The European Union

GDPR

Well they support leaving Afghanistan.
What is popular and what is right are often two very different things.

Speaking of Afghanistan though. It reveals a lot about Trump supporters. They keep on supporting him even though he is condemning Afghan girls to absolute horrors, even though he is pursuing a policy that will lead to an attack on the United States, even though he is giving away everything thousands of US and allied forces have died for. All because they (you, Dame_Enda) want a useless wall. That wall is worth all those horrors that will be inflicted on those girls to you. It's frankly repulsive.

hoipolloi

If I were Trump, I would pick a row with Putin, provoke a war and drop a nuclear bomb on St Petersberg. It would definitely shut the commies leftie green libloon fockers up good.

That's a terrible thing to say: I haven't seen the Winter Palace and hope to one day.

johnnypockets

If I were Trump, I would pick a row with Putin, provoke a war and drop a nuclear bomb on St Petersberg. It would definitely shut the commies leftie green libloon fockers up good.
Stop...being...so...STUPID!!!!!!!!!

petaljam

Not sure if this has been answered here but I haven't seen it: where does Trump's information about Russia not keeping its side of the nuclear agreement come from, exactly?

Only he has said many times that he doesn't trust the information provided by US agencies.

Has anyone suggested another source? Perhaps it's the phenomenon we see on here from his supporters of quoting as gospel the same sources they deride when they don't like what they say? Or is it literally the voices in his head at this stage?

GDPR

General Votel testified yesterday that he was not consulted prior to Cuckly McSniffles announcing his withdrawal from Syria. Another illustration of the malevolence tempered by incompetence of Cuckly McSniffles and more reason why one ought not be surprised that a former German foreign minister has stated that Cuckly McSniffles has done damage that the Soviets would have dreamed of.

GDPR

Not sure if this has been answered here but I haven't seen it: where does Trump's information about Russia not keeping its side of the nuclear agreement come from, exactly?

Only he has said many times that he doesn't trust the information provided by US agencies.

Has anyone suggested another source? Perhaps it's the phenomenon we see on here from his supporters of quoting as gospel the same sources they deride when they don't like what they say? Or is it literally the voices in his head at this stage?
It's that very same phenomenon as far as I am aware.

GDPR

Just a casual reminder that Cuckly McSniffles is planning an abject surrender to the Taliban in Afghanistan (and what those who still support him are willing to tolerate):

In December, I spent some of the days leading up to Christmas in Kabul, Kandahar and Mazar-e Sharif , visiting with the men and women of the U.S. military. Many have returned to Afghanistan multiple times, even when they could have retired, because they believe so strongly in the mission. If we cut and run, we will tell the U.S. service members who have fought for peace that their blood and sacrifice do not matter.
The United States is clearly indicating that it is willing to give up on what it was originally fighting to achieve: an Afghanistan not under the control of the Taliban’s repressive grasp. (...)

The United States is giving up what it was fighting to achieve, and the Afghan government is likely to be destroyed by the Taliban.
How the War in Afghanistan Will End - The Atlantic
We’ve had great victories in Afghanistan. We can’t cut and run now. - The Washington Post