Trump-like Neanderthals

McSlaggart

Catalpast

He wrote: “Sad that the Northern Ireland women do not have the same abortion rights as the rest of the British Isles..But it’s the price paid for May’s coalition with Trump-like Neanderthals.”

Read more at: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/john-cleese-slammed-by-dup-over-derogatory-remarks-1-8517758

The question for the DUP is this deal with the Conservatives still worth all the damage that it is doing to the cause of unionism.
Well he always was something of a Comedian...

Looks like he still likes to act the Fool....

theloner

Echoing the thoughts of millions across Britain. Indeed the New York Times isn't any kinder:

"D.U.P. — a socially conservative, fundamentalist Protestant bloc that is fiercely loyal to dreams of Britain’s lost empire — was merely the largest party in a small, inward-looking and mostly neglected backwater of the United Kingdom".

petaljam

He wrote: “Sad that the Northern Ireland women do not have the same abortion rights as the rest of the British Isles..But it’s the price paid for May’s coalition with Trump-like Neanderthals.”

Read more at: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/john-cleese-slammed-by-dup-over-derogatory-remarks-1-8517758

The question for the DUP is this deal with the Conservatives still worth all the damage that it is doing to the cause of unionism.
Nice alternative take on the Tory-DUP partnership McSlaggart. Everyone tends to concentrate on the harm the taint by association causes to the Tories.

Though TBF, other than calling attention outside of NI to the extent of their weirdness, thereby shaming the rest of the NI population, I'm not too sure that it harms the party itself all that much. They are who they are.

But Unionism as a whole, that's a whole other story isn't it? Definitely not good for their image to have a light shone into the murky recesses of current law in NI.

I heard a Tory on Any Questions last night waffling about how Westminster couldn't possibly impose a vote on abortion on the people of NI and another panel member replied "Well you imposed an EU referendum on NI".
I felt like punching the air.

Newrybhoy

Jeez Mcslaggart wants to kill unborn children nowadays just because the Shinners think it's a popular thing to do.

Catholicism is dead in the water in NI. Time to axe the CCMS?

theloner

Lib Dem but close enough.

GDPR

Lib Dem but close enough.
He certainly flirted with them in past;

"But Cleese becomes serious again when I mention Ukip. “I think they’re enunciating something enormously important, which is that what really makes people happy is having a sense of identity and purpose, and the terrible thing about the European Union is that it is fundamentally a non-democratic organisation. There’s a paralysis now with people not feeling that anything they do is going to change anything.”

Would he consider voting Ukip? “I don’t think so, but I will look very carefully.” Where does he stand on immigration? “I’m all for immigration because this has always been a country of immigrants. But when they go to America they put their hand over their heart when they become a citizen and they want to be Americans. If people come here they’re most welcome, but when people come here who really don’t like our culture, that worries me because I think, 'Well why are they here if they don’t like us?’”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/relationships/11157618/John-Cleese-says-Ive-finally-found-true-love-in-a-fish-and-three-cats.html

Wasn't he involved in Monty Python?

petaljam

He certain flirted with them in past;

"But Cleese becomes serious again when I mention Ukip. “I think they’re enunciating something enormously important, which is that what really makes people happy is having a sense of identity and purpose, and the terrible thing about the European Union is that it is fundamentally a non-democratic organisation. There’s a paralysis now with people not feeling that anything they do is going to change anything.”

Would he consider voting Ukip? “I don’t think so, but I will look very carefully.” Where does he stand on immigration? “I’m all for immigration because this has always been a country of immigrants. But when they go to America they put their hand over their heart when they become a citizen and they want to be Americans. If people come here they’re most welcome, but when people come here who really don’t like our culture, that worries me because I think, 'Well why are they here if they don’t like us?’”
I suspect that very often, genuine critics of, say, the EU or immigration or whatever, who have actual points to make soon get turned off by the crazies they find themselves associating with, so in the end they decide to stick with the obviously sane, despite their reservations.

IOW, Cleese probably did look carefully at UKIP and decided he didn't like what he saw. Unsurprisingly.

GDPR

I suspect that very often, genuine critics of, say, the EU or immigration or whatever, who have actual points to make soon get turned off by the crazies they find themselves associating with, so in the end they decide to stick with the obviously sane, despite their reservations.

IOW, Cleese probably did look carefully at UKIP and decided he didn't like what he saw. Unsurprisingly.
He is a fan of Nigel Farage. UKIP in the mainland anyway was never anything like it was in Ulster where it was a genuinely sinister organization.

John Cleese: 'London no longer English city and that's how it got 2012 Olympics' | Daily Mail Online

Anyway was he involved in the comedy show Monty Python?

McSlaggart

Jeez Mcslaggart wants to kill unborn children nowadays just because the Shinners think it's a popular thing to do.

What I wrote:

"The question for the DUP is this deal with the Conservatives still worth all the damage that it is doing to the cause of unionism."

This is not about my perception but the fact that the UK population are now getting the facts about the DUP. It also ties Unionism to brexit and the the conservative party.

petaljam

What I wrote:

"The question for the DUP is this deal with the Conservatives still worth all the damage that it is doing to the cause of unionism."

This is not about my perception but the fact that the UK population are now getting the facts about the DUP. It also ties Unionism to brexit and the the conservative party.
The Conservatives' full name always was 'The Conservative and Unionist Party', so Tory links to unionism in general and unionists to Brexit is par for the course. Don't look too closely and unionism just seems like conservatism under siege by the IRA. Look at the claim earlier that Protestants were being targeted just for being Protestant.

What's interesting is there is no way of portraying the DUP to the ordinary British voter as anything other than fruitloops. And they're the biggest unionist party. :rolleyes:

former wesleyan

What I wrote:

What does the UK population know about the remainder of the Irish population ?

michael-mcivor

is the Church of England dead in the water because of 40 years of abortion there-

McSlaggart

What does the UK population know about the remainder of the Irish population ?
It as always would depend on whom you was talking about. The interesting thing would be to compare the difference in perception of Irish nationalism and Ulster Unionism is seen in popular British culture.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies