Trump: Media, "it is enemy of the American people" .. undermining freedom of press (Second Thread)

sic transit

24 hour news cycles means the most frivolous of stories get regurgitated for days on end, until all 6000 angles of it have been done to death.

Wagmore

Guess that this explanation won't be believed by some of the posters here. :) The zoomed footage does look worse for Acosta.
Yup--it was thuggish behaviour alright. Mirrored tone of his questioning. Who is this twonk to say this caravan isn't an invasion. And what does the fact that they're thousands of miles away got to do with anything? They're on their way to US. That's all that matters

Wagmore

Boo hoo, dry your eyes.

If you really can’t see the difference between the POTUS and a bunch of easily led no marks, then I can’t help you.
If you can't see that what happened at Carlson's house is much more serious than anything Trump pulled with that CNN shill then you're beyond any redemption

gooner

Banned
Well said, Emily Maitlis.

[TWEET]1060660104792629248[/TWEET]

Particular this point.

When you watch the US morning shows - and evening shows come to that - what you notice is how things have changed.

Even those who were not originally taking sides are now nailing their colours to the mast. Fox and MSNBC have always played to their own bases. But now CNN, too, has editorialised its evening slot with Chris Cuomo - who gives us an essay, a comment piece, on whatever is getting him fired up.
I used to stay up late watching US media news switching between CNN and Fox but I can't stand it at the moment.

CNN is unbearable at the minute(especially Cuomo) with maybe the exception of Jake Tapper.

They have good international correspondents out on the field for the international version of the channel with Arwa Damon, Nima Elbagir and Clarissa Ward, yet their US equivalent with Acosta and others is the complete opposite.

That channel has completely lost its way.

gooner

Banned

gooner

Banned

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
[TWEET]1060741512135430145[/TWEET]
As for buzzfeed, I'd be very surprised if they made any statement that the video was genuine. Whatever about proving a negative in principle, you'll certainly find it very hard to do so in such a short time after the allegation emerged from AP.

bonkers

Wallace and Dana Perino are right and they're not the usual partisans on Fox saying this. They're a lot more measured and balanced in who they direct criticism at.

I would be in no doubt many of Acosta's colleagues are tired of the clear grandstanding on display.
You need to stop looking at Pox News.

Toland

Website
Wallace and Dana Perino are right and they're not the usual partisans on Fox saying this. They're a lot more measured and balanced in who they direct criticism at.

I would be in no doubt many of Acosta's colleagues are tired of the clear grandstanding on display.
Journalists are annoying. It's part of their job. And they need managing.

The doctored video, if indeed it was doctored, is unforgivable however. Even if they simply naively lifted it from Infowars.

petaljam

As for buzzfeed, I'd be very surprised if they made any statement that the video was genuine. Whatever about proving a negative in principle, you'll certainly find it very hard to do so in such a short time after the allegation emerged from AP.
Here's what Buzzfeed are saying: that there are differences but it's not clear whether they were carried out deliberately or happened as a result of the original being downloaded and its format changed.

In any case nobody (except Inforwars and the like) is saying that the WH video is as accurate as the original, which is what Huckabee-Sanders was trying to claim.

For me, one of the most fascinating aspects of the Trump WH (in a rather spine-chilling way) is just how ineffective their famous "checks and balances" actually are against someone who clearly has no personal ethics at all and is prepared to just ignore them.

The reality seems to be that the checks and balances were based on a belief that most of the people in positions of authority would be good decent people, and that any danger of a dictatorship would come from a single power-hungry man, not from a whole set of people conniving.

Toland

Website
Here's what Buzzfeed are saying: that there are differences but it's not clear whether they were carried out deliberately or happened as a result of the original being downloaded and its format changed.

In any case nobody (except Inforwars and the like) is saying that the WH video is as accurate as the original, which is what Huckabee-Sanders was trying to claim.

For me, one of the most fascinating aspects of the Trump WH (in a rather spine-chilling way) is just how ineffective their famous "checks and balances" actually are against someone who clearly has no personal ethics at all and is prepared to just ignore them.

The reality seems to be that the checks and balances were based on a belief that most of the people in positions of authority would be good decent people, and that any danger of a dictatorship would come from a single power-hungry man, not from a whole set of people conniving.
The Buzzword reporter who wrote the text in your link seems to think that Acosta ought to apologise for touching the intern's arm in a reflex action as she lunges at him. Whether or not he should apologise for not bleeding sitting down after being told repeatedly that his turn was up, the idea that he should apologise for making what looks to me like gentle hand-on-arm contact is absurd. The person who committed the space invasion was clearly the intern.

Herr Rommel

When the shooting war really starts over there it will be brutal but thankfully short,