Trump serious about deporting the undocumented Irish?

that'smadted

What is interesting is that a lot of people thought he wasn't serious about 'sending them home' - now, is this going to be a one-off so he can say he is keeping his promises, or will there be hundreds or thousands more in the next year or two?
Why would it be an empty threat? This guy is being savaged in the media, his only salvation are his core voters. They voted on the back of his promise of american jobs for american people. If I had the dosh I would be buying stock in intercontinental airlines servicing US airports next year.

Trampas

Once they keep their heads down mouths shut and work away nonone will deport any Irish. This idiot made the mistake of boasting about his status which was enough to rightly anger Uncle Sam.
Yep. Shot himself in the foot. What could he possibly have been thinking about.

asset test

We have thousands of illegal entrants here. They are in Direct Provision, they can work now last I heard.

Great little country.

US is just rattling a few sabres. Leo, get yer shamrocks out.

Was this person selected for a reason? I'd love to know, given the numbers of illegals in the US.

sadmal

We have thousands of illegal entrants here. They are in Direct Provision, they can work now last I heard.

Great little country.

US is just rattling a few sabres. Leo, get yer shamrocks out.

Was this person selected for a reason? I'd love to know, given the numbers of illegals in the US.
I think the fact that he went on TV to talk about his experience and didn't try to disguise himself played a big part in his selection.

Last edited:

constitutionus

RTE's typical take on the situation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0620/884182-irish-citizens-us/

really ?

ALL the irish american community ?

or just the ones breaking the fecking law.

its bizarrely facinating watching the luvvies get into a lather over this. its almost like they dont expect the law to apply to them or sommat.

TBH the only REAL shock here is Trump is doing what he said he'd do and our lot are just not used to that.

Half Nelson

I think the fact that he went on TV to talk about his experience and didn't try to disguise himself played a big part his selection.
Indeed.

Imagine doing the same with another law. Say...not paying tax.

What did he expect? Did the producers advise him?

asset test

I think the fact that he went on TV to talk about his experience and didn't try to disguise himself played a big part his selection.
Such hubris. But if you are a stalwarth of the GAA I suspect he might have thought he was immune from prosecution or something.

Now in fairness, what should the US Immigration Department have done having seen the documentary?

If they had not acted, everyone would cite it as a precedent for non action.

I reckon the guy either thought he was untouchable, or figured his "community" would sort it out.

How naive. The US had to act. He declared publicly he was an illegal. Some people.....

sadmal

Indeed.

Imagine doing the same with another law. Say...not paying tax.

What did he expect? Did the producers advise him?
Some of his supporters are saying he was brave to go public to give them all a voice - did they really think a TV programme broadcast in Ireland was going to change the law in the US?

eoghanacht

A whole bunch of people who couldn't thrive in Ireland because of the FF/FG axis of gombeenism are about to return.

Cruimh

'Shocked' about what exactly?
Well, Irish Central is Niall O'Dowd and is part owned by Sinn Féin's Máirtín Ó Muilleoir ....

Their Policy on these illegals from 2007:

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/10303

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams MP MLA, who is in America for a week of public engagements, has expressed his support for the efforts of the Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR).

The ILIR are working hard to find a satisfactory resolution to the concerns of thousands on Irish undocumented working and living in the USA.

At the beginning of the week Mr Adams met Niall O'Dowd and Ciaran Staunton who together lead the ILIR.

Gerry Adams was briefed by them about the current efforts to persuade4 the US government to reform its immigration laws.
and

Gerry Adams said:

"The plight of the thousands of Irish undocumented working and living in USA is a priority for Sinn Féin.

"We will continue to raise this issue at every political and governmental level open to us."
and in 2014 Adams and Mary Lou were lobbying in Washington

Sinn Féin: ‘Undocumented Irish in US just want to live a full life paying their taxes’

sadmal

Well, Irish Central is Niall O'Dowd and is part owned by Sinn Féin's Máirtín Ó Muilleoir ....

Their Policy on these illegals from 2007:

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/10303

and

and in 2014 Adams and Mary Lou were lobbying in Washington

Sinn Féin: ‘Undocumented Irish in US just want to live a full life paying their taxes’
They're not the only ones, government parties have also called for the 'undocumented' to be given an amnesty and allowed remain in the US. That was always one of the topics for the St. Patrick's day ceremony in the White House.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies